Opening a bank account on a tourist visa

Moderators, If this isn't the right forum please move it.

I know this has come up numerous times so it may or may not work for you. 

I can confirm you can indeed open a bank account while in country on a tourist visa, visa exempt with a new extension of stay actually. 

I just did it this morning at Krungsri Bank in Thung Song in NST. First branch I went to so didn't even need to shop around. 

I had a brand new Passport as it was just renewed last month and had my visa exempt entry and a new extension of stay permission stamp, my US drivers license and an International Driver's Permit.  I also had 2 letters of Bank account verification from the USA as is recommended but they didn't want to see them. 

I explained I would be applying for my Retirement Visa next trip and wanted to set up my account to start funneling money to satisfy the Imm requirement.    

They pulled out their rule guide and read the requirements. They asked me to wait a few minutes while they called the Main office in Bkk.  The talked to someone there, confirmed my stamps for entry and the new extension of stay were valid, asked to see my US ID/driver license and asked if I had a Thai license or International Drivers Permit. I showed them the IDP and they seemed satisfied. They confirmed all the info with the Bkk office and said no problem. 

Filled out about 25 forms including US Tax W9 and paid 400 baht for a ATM debit and was done.   Didn't even need to buy insurance as is often "recommended". They did mention they had insurance options if I was ever interested just come back they'd be happy to tell me what they had available. 

They set up their on line software for me on my phone and reviewed the functions of the software and also confirmed\tested the atm card worked. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

First branch hit jackpot well done. The quitters are convinced you can't open a bank account on a tourist entry

I will admit I picked this branch because it's always dead slow of customers. Not sure if that helped but they sure seemed happy to have someone to talk to. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many branches have closed in Pattaya, maybe countrywide also, so staff are likely nervous

Interesting that you you say that as there was a large whiteboard in the back of the room with columns of "quota"  items written in down the side and target date columns across the top. Stuff like, calls made, referrals, new, add services. So it looked like they were definitely setting up some type of plan of attack to gain new business or add on. That may have been why I got lucky, but I'll take it. 

3 hours ago, Seppius said:

Just about any bank branch will open you an account if you tell them you want insurance as well, getting one to open without is the challenge

no problem for me today    as i wrote earlier, they mentioned that had options if i ever wanted insurance but never showed any docs or even asked if i wanted it 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 11:00 PM, HuskerDo2 said:

Insurance for what? That they don't misplace your deposit?

It’s normally just an ATM card up-sell. Not sure it has any effect on how easy it is to open an account, but some clerks may want to stear you toward one of the more expensive ATM cards because it has these extra “benefits” like accident insurance and stuff.

VISA/MasterCard also have card tiers with stuff like this.

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

are you sure? usually it's a pitiful amount of medical expenses per accident like 20k baht

TBH I never bought it myself but I was offered it a few months ago at Bangkok Bank. I had a choice of about three ATM cards, the difference between them a couple of hundred baht but the top priced one included what I think was 50k of accident insurance. Afterwards I realized what a good deal that was and was sorry I didn't go for it. So to answer your question, am I sure, er, um, sort of. :))