Thai Air Force awaits US Congress approval to buy advanced F35 fighter jets

webfact

Wow.  $100 million per aircraft(probably higher because Lockheed Martins gives discounts for those who order more), $5000 per hour to operate and the pilots have to the training course in Fort Smith Arkansas.  No insult to Arkansas or anyone who is from there but I drove through it once and decided I will never go back.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happysoul said:

Switzerland concluded a contract for 36 aircrafts. The population is 8.6M. Not jugging if Switzerland was right or not to buy them, but what the hell Thailand wants to do with only 2... Let's say the will have to use them for serious reasons, well shoot 2 down and voilà 555. I'm not a military professional but would rather go for something cheaper so that you can have a real fleet. Not just show off with one (as the other will not be operational as no preventive maintenance).

Training, both for pilots and mechanics. The F35 is one of the world's most advanced fighter aircraft. There's no point in buying F16's or 18's.

Really?  More unneeded hardware for the Military. Pray-hoot must need the Military votes in their  Assembly to keep him in power.  Billions upon billions upon billions spent on Military, putting Govt coffers bare.  Why are they offering Gov't bonds to the public now?  No money left, yet spending more stupidly.

• Like 1

With only two they would have to rely on the US for repair/overhaul of Line Replaceable Units since it would not be cost effective to set up a Third Line  support for just two birds. Even Second Line (Intermediate Maintenence) will be limited. For two aircraft they would neeed a minimum of two spare engines which must surely cost as much as one aircraft.

If they did get the planes, I should expect them to be frequently grounded Awaiting Parts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cowellandrew said:

Here in the UK we have only 20 pilots trained to fly the F35 as they are recruiting ladyboys. LGBTQ, transgender, gender neutral, and the rest of the alphabet soup, you couldn't make it up!

☻☻☻☻

Got a link to show as proof.....

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think that you are a bit out on your flight costs.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a41956551/cost-per-hour-to-fly-us-military-aircraft/

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter costs $41,986 an hour across all models, including the F-35A for the Air Force, the F-35B for the Marine Corps, and the F-35C for the Marine Corps and Navy. The Air Force in particular is stuck with the headache of replacing the F-16, which costs $26,927 an hour, with a plane that costs 25 percent more to operate, permanently raising costs. 

The other main problem is that normal aircrew will not get that much of a chancer to pilot them/it as all the air force generals will want to first and if one of them breaks one, Thailand will be buggered.

The 2 that they want to buy will not be equipped with any weapons or state of the art electronics, nor I suspect will they come with a spares and support package.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/03/f-35-to-get-more-expensive-in-next-deal-program-exec-says/#:~:text=Under the terms of the,million during the same period.

The contract for lots 12-14, inked in 2019, included 478 F-35s for the US military and international customers. Under the terms of the agreement, an F-35A will cost $77.9 million in Lot 14, with the F-35B short takeoff and landing variant coming in at $101.3 million and the F-35C carrier variant at $94.4 million during the same period.

These prices are for contracts signed in 2019, 3 years ago.

https://executiveflyers.com/how-much-does-a-f-16-cost/#:~:text=The F-16 costs anywhere,country purchasing the fighter jet.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a41956551/cost-per-hour-to-fly-us-military-aircraft/

A-10 Thunderbolt: $22,531/hour
F-16 Fighting Falcon: $26,927/hour
F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: $30,404/hour
F-22 Raptor: $85,325/hour
F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: $41,986/hour

I know I forgot a zero.  I meant approximately 50,000.   Also, without air to air refueling this aircraft has limited range and endurance.  In essence one it is airborne with ordnance it needs to find a tanker.  What next for the RTAF?  Buy a single KC-135 or KC-10?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ozfarang said:

No. The chinese ordered 2.

One to dismantle, so they can reverse engineer it and the other to train each other to fly

"More than a fighter jet, it has the ability to collect, analyse and share data" - and so does the PLA

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozfarang said:

No. The chinese ordered 2.

One to dismantle, so they can reverse engineer it and the other to train each other to fly

The Chinese most probably have one already. However it's the software that makes them unique. They will most probably get approved for a dumbd down version, looks the same but with a lot of features missing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can just see it now. One of the planes sitting in a huge space, completely taken apart to the last screw. And Chinese engineers photographing and measuring  every part.

While in mother China it is being copied and re compiled.   

25 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I can just see it now. One of the planes sitting in a huge space, completely taken apart to the last screw. And Chinese engineers photographing and measuring  every part.

While in mother China it is being copied and re compiled.   

They don't need to, China has it's own stealth fighters. The sensitivity is not the airframe but the software as was pointed out by another poster.

• Like 1