A Plea To Sheryll

Batty

How's everyone doing?

Sheryll, if you are reading this, I wonder if you might be able to suggest something for me. Sorry, hope I'm not being too presumptuous. 

My wife has had an ongoing drama with her stomach for a year or two. Constant burping, occasional stomach aches, and has to be really careful what she eats. Local doctors diagnosed H Pylori - no idea how reliable of a test it was, but pretty much have to take thier word for it. We battled it for six months with all sorts of imported stuff - mastic gum, manuka honey, specialty probiotics, enzymes, turmeric...A few other bits I, can't remember now. It seemed to put a dent in it a little, but didnt eradicate it.

If this is something she has to put up with for life, then so be it. If it gets no worse, fine. These things happen, dont they. But I'm worried it might be something else - or it might be precursory to something way scarier.

So, I was hoping to find a great doc in BKK if possible. We live in between Udon and Khon Kean, and I'm sure KK has one or two good doctors, but we have to go BKK for a few days anyway, and figured we could see a good 'stomach' doctor down there.

This is basically a really llong winded way of asking if you know anyone.

Really appreciate it, if you can help. You are a gift to this forum, I hope you know that.

Cheers

Batty

17 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Maybe a direct message to Sheryll would be better? Hover over or click on her username somewhere and you will see the option "Message".

Not really, opening a thread is better as people can pick up tips

Edited by scubascuba3

“tests”? Did she have an endoscopy?  I have had similar symptoms in the past.  But I had an endoscopy that confirmed the H. Pylori diagnosis and also moderates gastritis.  Gastritis is stomach inflammation which can cause stomach cramps(sometimes severe), and at times the inability to eat.

I would recommend an appointment with a Gastroenterologist as soon possible.  

Why not put an endoscopy on your 'to do' list, as that will tell you or eliminate any scary things.

Easy to get in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen, a lot faster, easier and cheaper than going to Krung Thep for a simple exam / procedure.

Definitely should have gotten 2nd opinion, and seems easily diagnosed & possibly treated.  Some of the things you tried may have disrupted her normal stomach activity, possibly prolonging symptoms.

Take a peek at this, if not already researched it:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20356177

This post from a local forum may interest you, especially 'drunk monkey''s suggestion of Tabo, Nong Khai hospital & doc.   Get good reviews.

https://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52602&p=605250&hilit=Nong+Khai+Dr+Wattana&sid=8a5e6c769d8a534f6cff34437c4df4a2#p605250

That whole thread may interest, as Army Hosp. mention, and I've used them before.  Abet waiting list.

BkkHosp Udon is silly priced, but will negotiate, even match other prices, as I've done that with them.

I've also used BkkHosp, and doc who performed the surgery suggested next time to contact him directly, as he does the same at Gov't Hosp/Udon for much less.

I simply  wanted it done right away, and a private AC'd room.  Cost 10X the gov't hosp price, but they didn't have a private room available.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, orchis said:

did the doctor prescribe these?

Back in Rama9 hospital pediatrician (quite old b*tch) prescribed to my kid probiotics and enzymes when he got viral flu. Orthopedist of the same place (some professor) couldn't recognize goat and prescribed sticky tape and ointment. Both were in their 60+

20 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Back in Rama9 hospital pediatrician (quite old b*tch) prescribed to my kid probiotics and enzymes when he got viral flu. Orthopedist of the same place (some professor) couldn't recognize goat and prescribed sticky tape and ointment. Both were in their 60+

What does that have to do with the OP's wife?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

My question also. The normal treatment is a combination of 2 anti-infectives plus a PPI for 10-14 days followed by a repeat test and re-treatment with different drugs if needed. Was this done?

The various treatments you mention (turmeric, manuka honey etc) will not eradicate h. Pylori.

In Bangkok thus GI doctor is excellent:

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/doctor/asst-prof-dr-parit-mekaroonkamol

Sheryl, thanks so much!

I should have said - no.idea why I missed this part out - she had an endoscopy and three or four months worth of pretty strong antibiotics also. So she has done everything she needed to do. She has eaten all the right food, taken all the supplements, I'm just a little worried it might be the start of something else. Or not. I figure why not see a good doctor because to be honest, I have very little faith in the doctors up here. 

4 hours ago, orchis said:

did the doctor prescribe these?

As if an Udon Thani doctor would be that proactive. He did prescribe antibiotics - I'll give him his dues there. He pretty much threw a bag of pills at her and dropped kicked her out of the office. Metaphoricaly speaking.

Anything suggested outside of what he was taught 40 years ago? No chance. 

I spent weeks researching it. I'm not a strong believer in alternative medicine (I have no preference either way),but lots of people who have suffered H Pylori have had success with those additional treatments so I figured why not try it, after the antibiotics. So we did. 

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

“tests”? Did she have an endoscopy?  I have had similar symptoms in the past.  But I had an endoscopy that confirmed the H. Pylori diagnosis and also moderates gastritis.  Gastritis is stomach inflammation which can cause stomach cramps(sometimes severe), and at times the inability to eat.

I would recommend an appointment with a Gastroenterologist as soon possible.  

Thanks. Yes she had endoscopy. 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:36 PM, Batty said:

Sheryl, thanks so much!

I should have said - no.idea why I missed this part out - she had an endoscopy and three or four months worth of pretty strong antibiotics also. So she has done everything she needed to do. She has eaten all the right food, taken all the supplements, I'm just a little worried it might be the start of something else. Or not. I figure why not see a good doctor because to be honest, I have very little faith in the doctors up here. 

Aftet completion of the h. Pylori treatment was she re-tested to ensure it was eradicated? As ot can be difficult to cure this.

What fid the endoscopy show? Be dure yo bting CD of the endoscopy with you when she consults Dr. Parit.

Has she tried an elimination diet? If not first thing to try would be eliminating all dairy. Lactose intolerance is common in Asians and can set in later in life in people who tolerated milk products previously.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:01 PM, Sheryl said:

Aftet completion of the h. Pylori treatment was she re-tested to ensure it was eradicated? As ot can be difficult to cure this.

What fid the endoscopy show? Be dure yo bting CD of the endoscopy with you when she consults Dr. Parit.

Has she tried an elimination diet? If not first thing to try would be eliminating all dairy. Lactose intolerance is common in Asians and can set in later in life in people who tolerated milk products previously.

Hi Sheryl. She didn't have a follow up test to be honest, no. 

Yes we went to the hospital yesterday to ask for a copy of the endoscopy. You would imagine you can just ask, and pay - an hour tops, wouldn't you? This might sound a bit ranty, but we were told we had to see a doctor first. I made the point that we already paid for the endoscopy and just want the results, but the nurse wouldn't have it. So, we sat waiting for 5 hours before being grilled by a doctor, who didn't want to give the results. He seemed to take offence at my wife heading for Bangkok. She dug her heels in and eventually got the results. It took another 3 hours making it 8 in total. 

She has cut out all lactose and various other bits, her diet is actually quite limited these days.

Thanks so much for your help - not to sound flakey or anything but the help and support you provide to the people of this group is amazing, it really is. Completely selfless as well. Thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, tgw said:

@OP

I read you have been "battling it"

you didn't mention the usual therapy though - usually around 10 days of acid blockers, mineral bismuth plus two antibiotics: metronidazole and tetracycline.

if such a treatment doesn't get rid of it, the bacteria should be tested for resistances and then a tritherapy/quadrupletherapy with different antibiotics should be applied.

Reply deleted.  redundant.

Edited by dddave

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Hi Sheryl. She didn't have a follow up test to be honest, no. 

Yes we went to the hospital yesterday to ask for a copy of the endoscopy. You would imagine you can just ask, and pay - an hour tops, wouldn't you? This might sound a bit ranty, but we were told we had to see a doctor first. I made the point that we already paid for the endoscopy and just want the results, but the nurse wouldn't have it. So, we sat waiting for 5 hours before being grilled by a doctor, who didn't want to give the results. He seemed to take offence at my wife heading for Bangkok. She dug her heels in and eventually got the results. It took another 3 hours making it 8 in total. 

Where in the hospital did you go? Usually need to go to Medical records dept or imaging dept.

Was this govt hospital or private?

On 11/25/2022 at 11:38 PM, Batty said:

Appreciate that, thanks. She has had an endoscopy plus antibiotics etc. I'm not going to go into it because I will sound like a Thai basher - but I have pretty good reasons not to trust many of the doctors up here. 

However, as @tgwand @Sherylhave mentioned, the recommended treatment is not antibiotics alone. You don't say what other medicines the doctor prescribed together with the antibiotics (if any).

Pretty much all the medical literature holds that the most effective treatment for H. pylori is a combination therapy with either 3 or 4 medicines taken together for a period of time.  

For instance, the paper below recommends a quadruple therapy consisting of bismuth, a PPI, and two different antibiotics.

Best Helicobacter pylori Eradication Strategy in the Era of Antibiotic Resistance

Other papers recommend a triple therapy with just a PPI and two antibiotics.

Did your wife receive a triple or quadruple combination therapy?

42 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

However, as @tgwand @Sherylhave mentioned, the recommended treatment is not antibiotics alone. You don't say what other medicines the doctor prescribed together with the antibiotics (if any).

Pretty much all the medical literature holds that the most effective treatment for H. pylori is a combination therapy with either 3 or 4 medicines taken together for a period of time.  

For instance, the paper below recommends a quadruple therapy consisting of bismuth, a PPI, and two different antibiotics.

Best Helicobacter pylori Eradication Strategy in the Era of Antibiotic Resistance

Other papers recommend a triple therapy with just a PPI and two antibiotics.

Did your wife receive a triple or quadruple combination therapy?

Sounds likje she had at least triple therapy but no repeat testing

4 hours ago, Batty said:

Which hospital?