US banks that do SWIFT transfers to Thailand

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

why don't you just have SS sent the funds directly to your Thai Bank and save some money

thai io wants to see 12 months of transfers from u.s account to thai account for my non-o based on retirement. chose this method because don't want to just keep 80,000 bhat sitting in a thai bank-

10 hours ago, john thom said:

thai io wants to see 12 months of transfers from u.s account to thai account for my non-o based on retirement. chose this method because don't want to just keep 80,000 bhat sitting in a thai bank-

I have been using direct transfers from Social Security to my Bangkok Bank account and this is acceptable for immigration, no issues whatsoever, will be doing again second week of December, money just has to show up in your bank from a foreign source you are wasting money if you have to pay for transfers every month, if you are getting them for free than good for you 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 12:33 PM, racyrick said:

Can you log into your account from Thailand?

I heard that starting this week, you can no longer access your online account from outside the US.

I just logged in this morning no issues

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, john thom said:

I use the SSc direct deposit function into my Bangkok Bank account each month, it's very smooth and easy plus it's cost effective.

Edited by nigelforbes
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I use the SSc direct deposit function into my Bangkok Bank account each month, it's very smooth and easy plus it's cost effective.

do you have to keep 80,000 bhat in bank 3 months before and after?

7 minutes ago, john thom said:

do you have to keep 80,000 bhat in bank 3 months before and after?

If you are depositing 65,000 or over every month for twelve months you don't have to keep any money in the bank, if you are using the money in the bank method it is 800,000 baht for two months before extension and three months after, then you can take it down to 400,000 up to two months before your next extension. there is no 80,000 baht rule for anything

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

If you are depositing 65,000 or over every month for twelve months you don't have to keep any money in the bank, if you are using the money in the bank method it is 800,000 baht for two months before extension and three months after, then you can take it down to 400,000 up to two months before your next extension. there is no 80,000 baht rule for anything

yeah, sorry I ment 800,000. my mistake.  I still don't like the idea of some foreign bank keeping money I can't have access to, that's why I chose the monthly deposits. It cost me $45  to transfer my monthly funds. To me it'.s worth it

On 11/26/2022 at 3:18 PM, nigelforbes said:

It is the sending bank, not the receiving bank, that must use their correspondent, if one is necessary. The sending bank is the one that has to find a partner bank that can deal directly with the receiver.

The OP could get an account at Citibank in the US. OP could check whether their Thai bank has a correspondent relationship with Citi beforehand, but it is quite likely.

37 minutes ago, placnx said:

The OP could get an account at Citibank in the US. OP could check whether their Thai bank has a correspondent relationship with Citi beforehand, but it is quite likely.

It's possible but not certain. I went to pay my CIGNA health insurance premium last week and their bank in Thailand is Citibank. My bank, UOB Thailand, wouldn't transfer funds to them even though they are based here.

2 hours ago, john thom said:

yeah, sorry I ment 800,000. my mistake.  I still don't like the idea of some foreign bank keeping money I can't have access to, that's why I chose the monthly deposits. It cost me $45  to transfer my monthly funds. To me it'.s worth it

I don't understand the comment that I don't have access too, its no different no matter what way you do it except you are wasting a lot of money for no reason it would go into the same bank account that you are using to do your monthly transfer,  you are wasting 45 dollars a month times twelve. 

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

It's possible but not certain. I went to pay my CIGNA health insurance premium last week and their bank in Thailand is Citibank. My bank, UOB Thailand, wouldn't transfer funds to them even though they are based here.

UOB bought Citibank's retail operations in the region including here in Thailand and are in the process of integrating them into UOB's operations. I think this may be the reason UOB won't transfer to Citibank although I have not been advised that transfers into my Citibank account here can't be completed.

2 hours ago, john thom said:

I still don't like the idea of some foreign bank keeping money I can't have access to,

But you do have access and can use at any time - just would have to make other arrangements for visa.  So for a medical emergency it is there - so for some might make sense to have.

• Like 1

I heard that starting this week, you can no longer access your online account from outside the US.

3 hours ago, racyrick said:

You were able to log in successfully and use online banking?

Did you use a VPN?

No source for that news?  Bar talk?

FYI:  have used without VPN from Bangkok to 3 US banks online banking within last 20 minutes; Chase, USAA and 1stBank.  All normal.

24 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

UOB bought Citibank's retail operations in the region including here in Thailand and are in the process of integrating them into UOB's operations. I think this may be the reason UOB won't transfer to Citibank although I have not been advised that transfers into my Citibank account here can't be completed.

I have been a decade long customer of UOB Thailand but was forced to finally change banks this year. This was because of UOB's refusal to allow their customers to conduct an transactions, of any type, with any banking, financial or government entity located in the US, they wouldn't even collect on my tax refund cheque from the Treasury!.

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I have been a decade long customer of UOB Thailand but was forced to finally change banks this year. This was because of UOB's refusal to allow their customers to conduct an transactions, of any type, with any banking, financial or government entity located in the US, they wouldn't even collect on my tax refund cheque from the Treasury!.

I looked at UOB Thailand's website and it appears that only corporate accounts can send or receive international remittances.  I wonder what's behind that.

After my Citibank account is migrated to UOB, if this requirement applies, I won't be keeping the UOB account.

3 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I looked at UOB Thailand's website and it appears that only corporate accounts can send or receive international remittances.  I wonder what's behind that.

After my Citibank account is migrated to UOB, if this requirement applies, I won't be keeping the UOB account.

I can send and receive between my UOB Thailand account and HSBC UK as well as a bank on the continent, just not the US. I believe it has to do with FATCA regs., at least so I was told. UOB Thailand is not part of UOB so perhaps this was a restriction imposed by UOB themselves.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

No source for that news?  Bar talk?

FYI:  have used without VPN from Bangkok to 3 US banks online banking within last 20 minutes; Chase, USAA and 1stBank.  All normal.

I am only talking about Wells Fargo and it was either info on a monthly statement at the bottom or was an email sent a couple of months ago that starting Nov. 20th you would no longer be able to use online banking from outside the US and could also no longer be able to access online account from outside the US.

4 minutes ago, racyrick said:

I am only talking about Wells Fargo and it was either info on a monthly statement at the bottom or was an email sent a couple of months ago that starting Nov. 20th you would no longer be able to use online banking from outside the US and could also no longer be able to access online account from outside the US.

Thanks - took it wrong.  Perhaps some special procedures due to the 3.5 million fraudulent accounts?

• Thumbs Up 1

I use online banking with Citibank almost daily and my address on file is in Thailand. Only restriction I have with Citibank is that I must have a US address registered for my Citi credit card. For debit card and normal banking Thailand address is fine.

19 hours ago, racyrick said:

You were able to log in successfully and use online banking?

Did you use a VPN?

yes logged in ok just before posting

VPN, Yes it was on, connected thru a Thai server.

just tried it again without VPN and no problem, logged in just fine

Edited by Dante99
add info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:

yes logged in ok just before posting

VPN, Yes it was on, connected thru a Thai server.

just tried it again without VPN and no problem, logged in just fine

Glad to her and thanks for taking the time to give an update!

19 hours ago, flexomike said:

thinking about it I am not sure, when I get home tonight I will try not using my VPN, they are closed for business I think until eight tonite, 

Just found out the date for not being able to access and use online services outside the US is Nov. 30th.

• Like 1