US banks that do SWIFT transfers to Thailand

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:

yes logged in ok just before posting

VPN, Yes it was on, connected thru a Thai server.

just tried it again without VPN and no problem, logged in just fine

Sorry for another post but, just found out the date for not being able to access and use online services outside the US is Nov. 30th.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:33 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I was able to open an account at Chase several years ago using my Thai address and phone number. I can transfer funds from my Chase account in the US to my Thai bank account online. I believe these transfers use the SWIFT system.

They have to use SWIFT as Thailand and most if not all of SEA only use SWIFT.

17 hours ago, racyrick said:

Sorry for another post but, just found out the date for not being able to access and use online services outside the US is Nov. 30th.

Well I hope you can get it together and stop the totally unnecessary run around with false information.

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Well I hope you can get it together and stop the totally unnecessary run around with false information.

Sorry for the honest human error aka mistake. This is not false news.

Here is the URL -

https://www.wellsfargo.com/online-banking/updates/

We Are Updating Our Online Access Agreement

We are revising the OAA with updated terms and conditions, effective November 30, 2022:

Updated Section 1(a) (Description), to clarify that the Service is based in the United States and is intended for use by customers located within the United States, and that accessing the Service from territories where use is not permitted is prohibited.

22 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

They have to use SWIFT as Thailand and most if not all of SEA only use SWIFT.

SCB and Bangkok Bank have offices in NY, so it used to be possible to wire to the NY branch of SCB/BBL for credit to one's account in Thailand. For many years I did that, but then the originating US bank (JP Morgan) stopped that method, and I started using SWIFT via Citibank. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Sorry for the honest human error aka mistake. This is not false news.

Here is the URL -

https://www.wellsfargo.com/online-banking/updates/

We Are Updating Our Online Access Agreement

We are revising the OAA with updated terms and conditions, effective November 30, 2022:

Updated Section 1(a) (Description), to clarify that the Service is based in the United States and is intended for use by customers located within the United States, and that accessing the Service from territories where use is not permitted is prohibited.

i'm not sure that says what you think it says but we'll find out in a couple days.

what about a person on a two week vacation outside the USA that needs to access the bill pay service to pay a credit card bill.  are they out of luck ?  i know a large number of americans don't travel overseas but it seems like it could lead to loss of customers.  of course, wells fargo is used to losing customers - a nearly decade long trend i think.

technically, a customer 'located' in the united states could mean anyone with a US based address.  a customer,  living/'located' in the USA, but currently traveling outside the USA - gets blocked ?

not too long ago, maybe a year, i wasn't able to get the authentication codes via phone (text) from WFB (ex. to auth a SWIFT transfer).  but all of a sudden i could, i have the same phone service (verizon) so i think it was a change at WFB.  but i can't be sure.  before that i had to use a contact in the USA to give me the codes and have their number on file for my account.  so that requirement seemed to loosen up.  

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, buick said:

i'm not sure that says what you think it says but we'll find out in a couple days.

what about a person on a two week vacation outside the USA that needs to access the bill pay service to pay a credit card bill.  are they out of luck ?  i know a large number of americans don't travel overseas but it seems like it could lead to loss of customers.  of course, wells fargo is used to losing customers - a nearly decade long trend i think.

technically, a customer 'located' in the united states could mean anyone with a US based address.  a customer,  living/'located' in the USA, but currently traveling outside the USA - gets blocked ?

not too long ago, maybe a year, i wasn't able to get the authentication codes via phone (text) from WFB (ex. to auth a SWIFT transfer).  but all of a sudden i could, i have the same phone service (verizon) so i think it was a change at WFB.  but i can't be sure.  before that i had to use a contact in the USA to give me the codes and have their number on file for my account.  so that requirement seemed to loosen up.  

Banks and brokers I deal with give the option of text message or email to send authentication codes. The ones in the US generally don't have fields to enter foreign phone numbers, so I use the email option.

Some years ago, with a US regional bank I would periodically have trouble logging on from Thailand because of my Thai IP address, but now they identify me by the computer I'm using, besides then sending an authentication code by email.

I usually use a US address with US financial accounts.  

37 minutes ago, placnx said:

I usually use a US address with US financial accounts.  

that is how operate also, i have a US address.  i can access my wells fargo account online with my username and password.  no addtl auth required.  but to do SWIFT transfers and add payees on normal bill pay, i do need the auth codes.  and wells fargo does not offer any choice, unless i'm missing something, it is text code to phone.

you can't even get one over the phone, they allowed that for a time.  but then that was gone.  don't recall an email option but it isn't there now.

to access chase, my credit card, they do sometimes remember my computer.  if not, they have options for the code as you noted, text, email or phone.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:29 PM, racyrick said:

Just logged onto Wells F online.  It is after 30 November even in the USA.  So false announcement?

On 11/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, racyrick said:

the Service is based in the United States and is intended for use by customers located within the United States, and that accessing the Service from territories where use is not permitted is prohibited.

Believe "territories where use is not permitted" may mean Cuba/North Korea or such rather than any country other than USA.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, racyrick said:

Glad nobody is having a problem accessing their online account.

I was just posting of a release that Wells Fargo issued.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Used the WF app today, no issues, no VPN. Knock wood. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 6:46 AM, Jingthing said:

You can get around that by paying 5 dollars to a U.S. consumers organization one time. That's what I did. Anyone can do that! Look into it more closely. It's very popular with expats that have ZILCH to do with the State Department.

It may seem Mickey Mouse to even have to play that game but it's totally legit and because they are a Credit Union, not a bank, I think they are required to require something like that. 

So I went through the process and my application is being reviewed.  Have you done any transactions with them recently?  I've seen a lot of recent reviews and they're saying things have changed for the worse. 

On 11/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, Jingthing said:

You can get around that by paying 5 dollars to a U.S. consumers organization one time. That's what I did. Anyone can do that! Look into it more closely. It's very popular with expats that have ZILCH to do with the State Department.

It may seem Mickey Mouse to even have to play that game but it's totally legit and because they are a Credit Union, not a bank, I think they are required to require something like that. 

Yes it’s like a building society in the UK obviously,they have members and not clients so it’s just a workaround or loophole to circumvent archaic laws?

On 11/26/2022 at 5:28 AM, racyrick said:

I also heard that starting this week you can no longer do any online banking from outside the US and you can no longer log in to your online account from outside the US-True??

Was it an ex-Special Forces Operative,in a Chang vest on a barstool that gave you this information?

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, racyrick said:

You were able to log in successfully and use online banking?

Did you use a VPN?

I live in CM and I logged into Wells Fargo just now through a browser without VPN.  They have made a change to the login process.  I now have to type in a 3 letter code that is displayed on the screen by numbers that are constantly moving.

Edited by gamb00ler

So to pull together the information from this thread.  Please correct any of this if I have it wrong.  

Wells Fargo - need to maintain a US address.  Will do SWIFT transfers for the time being.  

State Department Credit Union - on the surface they look promising as they claim to support expats and no need to maintain a US address but their more recent reviews are brutal with something changing with them over the past few years.  The reviews are so bad I'm almost regretting giving them the confidential information required to open an account.  When my account opens I think I'll give customer service a call and see what type of responses I can get from them.  

Chase/Bank of America/Citibank/1st Bank- I think will work about the same as Wells Fargo with some issue with Citibank's transition to another bank in Thailand.  All require maintaining a US address.

I think I'll keep my Wells Fargo bank, try to find a virtual mail box as I live in a no state income tax state but all reliable friends and family live in state income tax states.  I have opened a Schwab account and also am familiar with Wise but was hoping for a couple of backup banks in case one of those two options fail.  

1 hour ago, Slosheroni said:

So I went through the process and my application is being reviewed.  Have you done any transactions with them recently?  I've seen a lot of recent reviews and they're saying things have changed for the worse. 

I have my social security check deposited there monthly, which they like.

I use them to wire funds to Thailand which I can do online, which I like.

I would advise you that IF you are able to successfully open your account with them, you'd be crazy to close it. Definitely keep it as a backup. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

Yes it’s like a building society in the UK obviously,they have members and not clients so it’s just a workaround or loophole to circumvent archaic laws?

They are not for profit!

They exist to serve their members.

Members are actually owners.

Banks exist to serve shareholders.

Banks generally have more services.

Open with BOTH if you can. 

• Thumbs Up 1