Taxis used in Bangkok area for five years with fake plates - danger to passengers highlighted

webfact

8a093412e473cb0c6c87a9078c5531ce41326a12513d8e639ed5425a51ffdca9.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on action by the metropolitan police and local forces in Klong 3, Klong Luang, Pathum Thani against taxis with fake registration plates.

Back on october 26th they investigated a man called Ronnachai, 46, who they found with fake plate making equipment at his house.

85fea76cfcb65c42eae13cf9a68ce436d0c3d2044e48e7f7d6aad3c954be9805.jpg

At a shop he ran nearby were 300 damning items of evidence that showed he had been producing fake plates for vehicles that could not be legally registered as taxis due to their age.

A subsequent inquiry led to an Altis taxi that had fake plates that had been driven around the Bangkok area for 5 years. 

It was more than 12 years old and had had a makeover to make it look like a newer vehicle.

In other moves a further five taxis were seized and sent to forces in the metropolitan area where crimes occurred.

4910490bccb0de493d6e27e4c1226bf3b43f1cc258246acdda24a5bd59580e15.jpg

Forgery of plates and other items like tax discs can see people jailed for up to 5 years and fined up to 100,000 baht.

Police said that the proliferation of fake plates meant problems for the public in that the police were unable to catch taxi drivers responsible for sex crime or theft.

It also made it hard to get back things that forgetful passengers left behind. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Scary.

I always make a point of photographing the plates and the driver if the wife is catching a taxi by herself.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police said that the proliferation of fake plates meant problems for the public in that the police were unable to catch taxi drivers responsible for sex crime or theft.

It is scary.

The police can do nothing with your picture other than hope to see the cab one day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it so difficult to set up a good registrationsystem for legal taxidrivers/cabs??? In the land of mai pen rai things are totally out of hand and people should be educated that there are rules and they need to be followed. And the RTP is first organization that has to start to work, in shifts 24 hrs a day instead of 9.00 to 17.00..It is for the better country and everyone benefits from it

• Like 1

The cynic in me suggests nothing will change.... 

Some of the taxi’s around Bangkok are new, clean and in great condition, but there are a lot which aren’t...  many probably older ones such as this. 

To avoid all this nonsense I use Grab as much as possible, but when flagging down a taxi on the street I ignore the older taxis..   Sometimes I get in taxi’s and there are some dodgy noises etc  grinding brakes, clunks and punches from the suspension - if going on an expressway or a faster road I make an excuse and get out, the same if they have no functioning seatbelt. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

A subsequent inquiry led to an Altis taxi that had fake plates that had been driven around the Bangkok area for 5 years. 

It was more than 12 years old and had had a makeover to make it look like a newer vehicle.

Where there's a will there's a way..