Beware Of Checked Baggage Pilferage At Suvarnabhumi

bubba

I just wanted to start a thread up here to see if it's just me, or are others noticing that there is a real problem with the theft of checked baggage contents inside Suvarnabhumi.

I am a very frequent traveller in and out of BKK and I have noticed that on three out of the last four trips back in to Suvarnabhumi, the outside zip flap of my bag was open. So far, I have been lucky as nothing was stolen from the inside of my locked bag, and nothing was in the outside flap pocket.

Then there is my wife. On her last three trips:

1. her iPod charger was stolen. (OK, she left it in an outside pocket that was securely zippered shut. Her mistake; nevertheless, it should not have been stolen).

2. the combination lock on her bag (which was securely locked before she left) was missing. This was one of those American TSA-accepted locks that has a keyhole, so I would not be surprised if baggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi have reverse engineered that. Fortunately, nothing was missing this time.

3. having switched over to a new, more secure combination lock without the TSA keyhole, her digital camera was stolen from her locked bag on arrival on a flight from Singapore. Yes, she should not have put it in the checked bag, but she did. Also, I would presume that the pilferage was committed at BKK and not SIN, but I could be wrong.

I'm wondering if others have had similar experiences. This seems to be a very disturbing trend, and everyone should exercise caution on what you put in your bag and how you lock it.

I am reminded of a sting operation that happened at Don Muang about four years ago which resulted in the arrests of close to 20 baggage handlers, and it was widely publicised on Thai TV. From our limited and probably statistically insignificant sampling, it seems that another sting is due.

Another reason that if available, I avail myself of luggage shrink wrap services offered at many airports (including Suwaanapom International). The cost is minimal (B100 per bag in Bangkok) and real seals-up the bags like Fort Knox. The other reason is it prevents me from becoming the unwitting mule from some drug cartel operating out of any airport my luggage happens to be passing through.

Another reason that if available, I avail myself of luggage shrink wrap services offered at many airports (including Suwaanapom International). The cost is minimal (B100 per bag in Bangkok) and real seals-up the bags like Fort Knox. The other reason is it prevents me from becoming the unwitting mule from some drug cartel operating out of any airport my luggage happens to be passing through.

I second JonnieB's suggestion. Get your luggage shrink-wrapped for 100 baht. It's cheap insurance.

I noticed when I flew out of Suvarnabhumi Airport this week that checked in luggage is NOT scanned and stickered with a security check (it was at Khon Kaen Airport). The luggage is checked in and then disappears into the cavernous conveyor system.

Hopefully it is scanned somewhere before it is put on board your aircraft.

On two occasions flying BKK-BNE (on Thai Airways) on a direct flight, my luggage was checked - rifled through and nothing taken. Fortunately I usually have just clothing in my checked in luggage - all my valuables (wallet, passport, medication, camera etc) go with me on board.

Peter

Please give details :

Does this happen ,before arrival at airport,or pre- check in?

:o Wiley Coyote

In December when my daughter came from the US to visit us, her baggage was opened in the Bangkok airport and her Christmas presents (to her mom and me :o ) were opened. Nothing was taken because she gives low value handicraft things she makes as gifts ... nothing electronic or valuable. Still it was upsetting. And I've stopped putting anything of value or attractive in my baggage. Nothing like this ever happened at Don Muang in the 30+ years I used that one regularly. I used to pack my laptop in my luggage but no more.

In December when my daughter came from the US to visit us, her baggage was opened in the Bangkok airport and her Christmas presents (to her mom and me :o ) were opened. Nothing was taken because she gives low value handicraft things she makes as gifts ... nothing electronic or valuable. Still it was upsetting. And I've stopped putting anything of value or attractive in my baggage. Nothing like this ever happened at Don Muang in the 30+ years I used that one regularly. I used to pack my laptop in my luggage but no more.

I think it more likely that the digital camera went missing in Singapore. A friend of mine works in security at Heathrow, one of the scams the baggage handlers came with was this, as luggage was being x-rayed after check-in, the x-ray machine operators were marking bags which had valuable items visible on the display. They had accomplices in the storage areas, where bags are kept while waiting to be loaded that would search the marked bags. They had plenty of time as the bags can be stored for an hour or two before loading. After unloading at the destination airport, there is very little opportunity for theft as the luggage has to be moved as quickly as possible to the baggage reclaim.

Where in BKK's new airport can I get this plastic wrapping done?

The wrapping stands are located at the entrances to the rows of check-in stands, i.e., shortly after you enter the terminal but before you get in line to check-in...at the entrances to where you go to the check-in desks.

The wrapping stands are located at the entrances to the rows of check-in stands, i.e., shortly after you enter the terminal but before you get in line to check-in...at the entrances to where you go to the check-in desks.

After unloading at the destination airport, there is very little opportunity for theft as the luggage has to be moved as quickly as possible to the baggage reclaim.

You may well have had better luck than I at Suvarnabhumi, waiting at the baggage carousel while the baggage moves "as quickly as possible" from the aircraft to the reclaim area. I don't think I have ever seen my bag come through in less than 30 minutes, and sometimes it's closer to an hour from the time I leave the aircraft.

Also, if I had to take my choice of an airport that is more likely to have good security and systems in place to preclude stealing, I think I'd go with Singapore over many of the airports in the world, particularly Bangkok. This pilferage and open bags on arrival thing is happening very consistently regardless of the departure airport. I'd go so far as to suggest there is an organised gang operating at Suvarnabhumi, just as there was at Don Muang before the sting operation there several years ago.

Thank You.

:o Wiley Coyote

Sorry, I am currently on a crapy connection and it seems to be hanging so I press the reply button or refresh button again to get it moving. I never know if my posts/replies are getting through or not.

I don't think it's necessarily your connection as even with my very reliable connection there's sometimes a noticeable lag after I hit Add Reply. I've taken to hitting the "Review the complete topic (launches new window)" link at the bottom of the screen if this happens.

The wrapper station I used, is just to the right as you enter departure checkin area from the bus/taxi droppoff. Roughly the centre of the departure floor. TOP FLOOR

I reckon it will NOT STOP stuff being pinched. My usual way is to get my seat allocated, Thai happily does that for you. Then wait till the last minute to check in. That ensures minimal time for pilfering efforts. Also, my main reason, my baggage is last on, first off.

I hope this does NOT make for a last minute rush........LOL

I have practiced that for nigh on 30 years.

Cheers

Kiwi Pete

This is a worry - esp. with the 'one-carry-on-luggage' rule that many airlines now practice. How is one to stuff all their valuables into one cabin-sized bag to avoid worry about theft during transit? Not to mention no liquids... (I usually use a gallon of moisturiser inflight on long hauls to avoid looking like a reptile on arrival!) :o

I don't think I have ever seen my bag come through in less than 30 minutes, and sometimes it's closer to an hour from the time I leave the aircraft.

......... over many of the airports in the world, particularly Bangkok. This pilferage and open bags on arrival thing is happening very consistently regardless of the departure airport.

on the contrary to your experience Ive more often than not received my bags in fairly short time...including getting through immigration in less than 10minutes.(including the long walk from whereever to the immigration counter)...and not much longer wait to get my bags.

on the latter...try going through Delhi Airport :o

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the policing aspect. If officials at SUV are doing anything to avert thievery, it must not be effective. Who has any info on the policing aspect? If I were PM, I'd personally go straight over to SUV and call the head of security on the carpet and give him a grilling that would rattle his boots and have him sweating blood. It's despicable that security (hidden cameras, informers, etc) can't be implemented to catch crooks. If they put someone capable in charge, he'd have the thieves hanging from the rafters in a week's time. Shame on airport security for failing at their job. I suggest hiring a team of ex-savak to deal with the problem. They won't be bought off, and they certainly wouldn't be swayed by whinning/groveling excuses by the thieves who get caught.

It's ironic that a farang upstairs at SUV who gets caught fliching a little bottle of hair conditioner stands to sit in a Thai prison for the next 20 years - meanwhile, cameras, laptops, and jewelry are getting stolen downstairs - hour after hour. If, on the the rare occassion a downstairs thief gets caught - what might be the consequences? A reprimand, or perhaps the loss of his job?

In the big picture of things, insecure luggage will add another hole to the limp raft of tourism in Thailand. Outlying regions of Thailand are on life-support (in terms of tourism), and although Phuket and Pattaya are still thriving - all parties must come to an end. Worries about luggage certainly won't help the airports flagging reputation - nor will it burnish Thailand's image as a tourist destination.