Football supporting is a roller coaster - with plenty of train wrecks!

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS PATTAYA

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

I was too young to remember 1966 so Mexico '70 was my first world cup and I have the full sticker book to prove it. 

How we marvelled over Pele, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao and Rivelino.

Being allowed to stay up late to watch England play in a memorable defeat to the Brazilians. 

Qualifying for the knockouts only to lead West Germany 2-0 and go out 2-3 after collapsing.

A rude awakening of the misery of the world to any nine year old....

And so it was last night at 1.55 am when Rooster went to wake up his own nine year old daughter to see England put the USA to the sword just like we did vs Iran.

2.jpg

That was the plan - in her naivety she believed it.

In my own, so did I. 

Two hours later having both somehow stuck through a dreadful 0-0 match on a drowzy sofa, I felt like apologizing!

England were outplayed and utterly dreadful. The match a borefest. 

I reminded my daughter that football supporting - like with our beloved Spurs - is up one minute down the next. A rollercoaster that makes you feel great then deflated in almost the same breath. Move on. It'll be better next time. Forget the train wrecks.

I'm English, I'm well versed in making excuses and moving on. Father and daughter trudged off to bed. 

1.jpg

The headlines on the BBC seemed a bit political. England had "laboured' to a goalless draw, and manager Southgate was being condemned for his "conservatism".

England will still qualify if they don't lose by four goals to Wales in the last match. The USA must aim to beat Iran.

In a very entertaining match early in Thailand's evening yesterday the Welsh were deservedly beaten by a resurgent Iran side. 

As predicted in this column yesterday (along with a thumping success for England....).

The Iranians hit both posts in one attack and had many other excellent chances before a superb goal by Cheshmi and a final breakaway goal settled the game. 

in the second game Qatar lost 1-3 to Senegal. At least the home supporters had a few minutes to savor in the second half when they dreamed they could get back in the game. 

That was soon snuffed out and the subsequent draw between the Netherlands and Ecuador, 1-1, meant Qatar became the first nation to be eliminated. 

Well, they scored a goal but the truth is they are only an emerging football nation and got precisely what they deserved. Nada Dinar.

Tonight's action still follows the 5pm-8pm-11pm-2am schedule in Thailand:

Group D

Tunisia vs Australia 5pm

Group C

Poland vs Saudi Arabia 8pm

Group D

France vs Denmark 11pm

Group C

Argentina vs Mexico 2am

I expect strong in defence Tunisia to beat Australia who were poor in the first game.

Poland should show that the Saudi's win against Argentina was a one-off aberration.

The Argentinians should get back on track by thumping Mexico.

Denmark could be wily enough to get a draw against France, especially if they can get Eriksen more involved and pinch a goal.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-26