Customs Auction Of Seized Cars

neilrob

Periodically I see in The Nation a notice of a Thai Customs Dept. auction of seized cars, illustrated with some potentially interesting photos (although I doubt these are photos of actual cars for sale). Today there is a notice of an auction on 18 July of 123 cars. The notice gives a couple of web addresses for more information. One is the Customs address, which appears to contain nothing about such auctions. The other is a company called Katha Communication. Their web site only has horoscopes (in Thai). Maybe you are supposed to be psychic to find out what is for sale! I cannot physically go to the Customs Dept, because I do not live in Bangkok (if there were anything of real interest on offer, I would come to Bangkok, but not just on the off chance). Does anyone know anything about these auctions, such as how to find out what is for sale, bidding arrangements etc? Thanks for any info, Neil

Yes, I previously tried sending them an e-mail. No answer yet, but if I hear anything, I'll post it. My previous experience with sending e-mail questions to Customs is they simply ignore them and just don't reply, so I don't have much hope.

I would be very interested in hearing from someone who has bought from such an auction---they seem quite frequent. Questions which come to mind include are such vehicles, once bought from the Thai government, actually eligible for registration here? Logically, one might think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no. If the car was seized for, eg. non-payment of import duty, is the buyer still on the hook for the duty, or is that wiped clean by the seizure?

Any info gratefully received, Neil

:o

Today, Katha have no horoscopes and instead have information related to previous auctions on their web site, which is at least some advance. Nothing for upcoming auctions, but maybe they will nearer the time. Neil

Periodically I see in The Nation a notice of a Thai Customs Dept. auction of seized cars, illustrated with some potentially interesting photos (although I doubt these are photos of actual cars for sale). Today there is a notice of an auction on 18 July of 123 cars. The notice gives a couple of web addresses for more information. One is the Customs address, which appears to contain nothing about such auctions. The other is a company called Katha Communication. Their web site only has horoscopes (in Thai). Maybe you are supposed to be psychic to find out what is for sale! I cannot physically go to the Customs Dept, because I do not live in Bangkok (if there were anything of real interest on offer, I would come to Bangkok, but not just on the off chance). Does anyone know anything about these auctions, such as how to find out what is for sale, bidding arrangements etc? Thanks for any info, Neil

I’d be interested to know how you get on at these Auctions.

As far as I know they are controlled by a gang who are in league with the Customs Officers; they make sure no outsider is allowed to bid on vehicles they have their eye on.

I have Thai friends who have been threatened with knives when they tried to bid.

Patrick

As far as I know they are controlled by a gang who are in league with the Customs Officers; they make sure no outsider is allowed to bid on vehicles they have their eye on.

I have Thai friends who have been threatened with knives when they tried to bid.

Patrick

Yes, it's hearsay but I have heard the same story. I talked to a guy who buys and sells used vehicles and he told me that it would be too dangerous to try to get involved as it is all insider controlled.

Thanks for the comments, Patrick and Gary. It sounds like I should avoid these auctions---a pity because they do seem to have some interesting cars sometimes. However, it is difficult to drive with a knife sticking in your back! Neil

Sorry everyone my earlier post was meant for a different sub-forum. Good luck with the car hunting but make sure you and the car you buy has all the correct paper work. Thailand is not a country where you want to end up on the wrong side of the law. :D:o

Patrick

Yes, it's hearsay but I have heard the same story. I talked to a guy who buys and sells used vehicles and he told me that it would be too dangerous to try to get involved as it is all insider controlled.

Or it's just these Thai 'ftirnds' trying to make sure they have less competition for the bidding.

Just hire 2-3 low ranking police for few thousand baht and go to bid, the local police allowed to have a part time job after the service hours and even to use their uniform.

Patrick

Or it's just these Thai 'ftirnds' trying to make sure they have less competition for the bidding.