Thai power sockets: non switched = not safe?

Encid

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

Double insulated pumps with no earth pin. 

Are you sure that's a double-insulated appliance?

That Schuko plug has the earth connections, double-insulated ones tend not to have the extra metalwork.

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

These switched power outlets are all well and good, unless wired the wrong way.

But, Hey!  this is Thailand, what are the chances  :whistling:

Can use these to check. Bip bip and flash near active lead, but not near neutral lead. 

20221130_102948.jpg

20221130_103016.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s certainly possible that the fast charge USB-A devices exist. However the overwhelming percentage of USB-A charging sockets (a guess but probably correct at 99.9999%) are not capable of fast charging and are limited to 5v 2.1A high power and 5v 1A normal

So that unicorns exist doesn’t mean that you will ever find one, though you can buy one yourself. ???? 

is true usb-c is now choice at device end but not always charger end

is true usb-c is now choice for high power charge rate 100w +

is true usb-a quick charge port are very common

my Xiaomi phone 2 month old has charger with usb-a port

output this usb-a port = 5v 3amp 9v 3amp 12v 2.5amp 20v 1.35amp

many usb wall socket have quick charge usb-a and usb-c port

photo my Xiaomi charger is very common usb-a type

IMG_20221130_095007.thumb.jpg.592574239a839fc3bb068ea0dc24253b.jpg

18 hours ago, Encid said:

when I first came to Thailand and discovered that ALL electrical power sockets in ALL rooms including bathrooms did not have switches.

You cannot go to another country and expect things to be the same. Quality and cost are directly related so if you want higher standards it is all about getting your wallet out, you could easily have all sockets replaced.

The electrical situation in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired and a lack of switches is hardly at the top of the list when it comes to undesirable practice.

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Take a good look - the sockets are one piece.  

Quite right, I didn't notice and used to dealing with single items.

However if it is an issue it doesn't stop the double being replaced by 2 singles, there is always an answer.

The other option is to put an adaptor on the other socket so the plugs are not on the same level.

14 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

this adapter can fix ground problem but not sure about cable location out on left side

Nothing can fix that (other than new outlet hole/box/sockets) - normal dual sockets do not have enough room and they are two sockets molded together.  I normally remove Shuko and replace with US 3 pin type (Thai type is now available also - but can be a PIA getting right pin alignment as all look the same) to save room.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

is true usb-c is now choice at device end but not always charger end

I agree

is true usb-c is now choice for high power charge rate 100w +

Again I agree

is true usb-a quick charge port are very common

Totally false. 
there are millions of USB-A chargers and outlets, a tiny fraction of those are anything but 5V 1A or 5V 2.1A

Can you buy a usb-a quick charger? Of course you can, but the majority opt for the cheaper version.

many usb wall socket have quick charge usb-a and usb-c port

Again wrong wall sockets with quick charge are rare and ones with usb-c ports are even les common 

The cost of the sockets with quality USB quick charge ports will be in the region of over 1,000 Baht per socket, so nobody is going to make them a standard install. In my case my install would have cost an extra 100,000 Baht for little benefit.

These costs are the reason for the chargers being available.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

Hasn't got the double insulated symbol on the pump. Handbook store somewhere somewhere special. You're probably correct.

We have that exact pump, definitely got 3-core cable.

Protect with a 10mA RCBO if you can't arrange an earth for it (or even if you can).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The right-hand socket cannot be used at the same time as the left-hand with that type of plug. It won't fit.

20221130_075128.jpg

Nano have outlets with downward facing sockets, where you can use two plugs at the same time.

Unfortunately not switched, but guess you can't have everything :sad: 1632747024_NanoOutlets.jpg.6a0e1d21d7c4622bb192b1597b155435.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2x4-nano-usb-usb-i2733838174-s9910624047.html?

Edited by Daffy D

10 hours ago, patman30 said:

Yes they have the TIS standard since 2018
Universal products are STILL widely available here,
definitely not "several years since"

I was talking about power outlet strips that are 'universal'. They are scarcer than hen's teeth. You won't find them in Thai Watsadu, Do Home, Home Hub, Amorn, Home Pro and most all other retail stores. I've only found one on lazada in the past 6 months and that was a Chinese import job so probably a fire hazard anyway. The last branded ones I bought almost 10 years ago were Belkin and Wanpro and both have superseded their local product line with Thai standard pin outs which emulates the 3-pin US style (with L & N reversed).

Universal wall receptacles are still available at hardware stores but they are going to be phased out, just like 'universal' power outlet strips.

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have had no issues buying universal power outlet strips this year.  What have gone are the cheap, loose fitting, easy to catch fire, 100 baht type units that used to be sold by supermarkets.  Those being sold now are much higher quality and higher priced.  Below is one of the cheaper strips with examples of plugs it will accept.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/t11-3ac-socket-usb-3-port-2-3000w100-750-i2112650854-s7098076176.html

Thanks for the link.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I've only found one on lazada in the past 6 months

I posted a link to such hours ago - there were pages of them.  No shortage at all and have bought several this year.  What there are not are the supermarket 100 baht power strips that used to be sold and were a real danger.  New units in the 300 baht range appear to be snug fitting and are flame resistant.  Here is a general page from Lazada with many having universal outlets.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=power+strips&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125c4ccxAnOPe

Edit:  we seem to have cross posted. Believe there has been a recent increase in number/types available.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Decades living in Germany I can't remember switched sockets.

In the house here I installed two. Nice to have but hardly ever switched off.

When I were a lad in NZ never saw a switched plug outlet. Common now and I imagine required for new builds.

Re OP. Easy enough to get switched sockets now, from what I saw in the big stores.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

I posted a link to such hours ago - there were pages of them.  No shortage at all and have bought several this year.  What there are not are the supermarket 100 baht power strips that used to be sold and were a real danger.  New units in the 300 baht range appear to be snug fitting and are flame resistant.  Here is a general page from Lazada with many having universal outlets.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=power+strips&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125c4ccxAnOPe

I stand corrected but it's still mostly Chinese-made stuff and at that price, I will stick with the ones I have.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I was talking about power outlet strips that are 'universal'. They are scarcer than hen's teeth. You won't find them in Thai Watsadu, Do Home, Home Hub, Amorn, Home Pro and most all other retail stores. I've only found one on lazada in the past 6 months and that was a Chinese import job so probably a fire hazard anyway. The last branded ones I bought almost 10 years ago were Belkin and Wanpro and both have superseded their local product line with Thai standard pin outs which emulates the 3-pin US style (with L & N reversed).

Universal wall receptacles are still available at hardware stores but they are going to be phased out, just like 'universal' power outlet strips.

Lucky then that I bought a few universal power strips to bring back when I left Thailand.

Otherwise I'd have to use adaptors with all my Thai appliances, and they ain't cheap.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What there are not are the supermarket 100 baht power strips that used to be sold and were a real danger. 

Why dangerous? I've had a few apart and other than being made of cheap metal I saw nothing dangerous in them. The switches often stop working so I just bypass them and use the wall socket switch when plugging something in or out. Obviously the cable is too light for high powered devices to be used though, but good enough for ordinary things.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I stand corrected but it's still mostly Chinese-made stuff and at that price, I will stick with the ones I have.

As I posted that was a starting price - there are more expensive versions.  Most things for sale everywhere in the world is made in China these days.  These new units are a far cry from from the units sold here in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why dangerous? I've had a few apart and other than being made of cheap metal I saw nothing dangerous in them. The switches often stop working so I just bypass them and use the wall socket switch when plugging something in or out. Obviously the cable is too light for high powered devices to be used though, but good enough for ordinary things.

Had two catch fire from loose contacts and others had same issues - the plastic burnt like paper.  And they were not high power devices.  A fan and a TV.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Nano have outlets with downward facing sockets, where you can use two plugs at the same time.

Unfortunately not switched, but guess you can't have everything :sad: 1632747024_NanoOutlets.jpg.6a0e1d21d7c4622bb192b1597b155435.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2x4-nano-usb-usb-i2733838174-s9910624047.html?

Chang produces switched sockets that accommodate two three pin plugs (Lazada link????
image.png.60cddd224c01f4d72dafb904ce8bf487.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Had two catch fire from loose contacts and others had same issues - the plastic burnt like paper.  And they were not high power devices.  A fan and a TV.

them old cheap strips they used to sell everywhere, where the plug would just be resting loose in the socket lol
in my house i had universal sockets
but then had UK plugs brought over, which i put on most appliances

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Edit:  we seem to have cross posted. Believe there has been a recent increase in number/types available.

Yes. I agree that the increase must be recent. My last search was probably over 7 months ago and I have been overseas quite a lot this year.

I just trawled two aisles of power strips at a large wholesaler just off the Sam Phrao road in Udon Thani. There must have been maybe 20 different brands and all of them were the new Thai standard.