Thai Police seize board game in Yala, alleging its illegal, setting off debate between politicians

webfact

image.jpeg

Arifin Soh

By Goongnang Suksawat

Yala – Thai police seized a board game named ‘Patani Colonial Territory’ in Yala which is allegedly illegal, according to Thai police.

A candidate for the Move Forward Party in Pattani, Mr. Arifin Soh, posted on his Facebook saying “The Bannang Sata Police seized the board game named ‘ Patani Colonial Territory’ from a small hobby shop and they claim that the game may be illegal. Even the right to play games is being robbed. It is hard to live in the Deep South.”

Yesterday, (November 28th), the Thai Phakdee Party spokesman handed a letter to the Interior Ministry to investigate this board game. The letter stated the board game ‘Patani Colonial Territory’ is a game about Patani colonial history which is being supported by the Progressive Movement Foundation and allegedly causing disruption and societal problems.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/29/thai-police-seize-board-game-in-yala-alleging-its-illegal-setting-off-debate-between-politicians/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-11-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

Of course.... spend your time as a police officer, who you swore to uphold the laws of the land, to arrest someone sitting innocently playing a board game while a rape or robbery takes place just down the street. 

Great job Thai police. Keep us safe from the board games while someone's daughter is being raped. Thumbs up to each and every one of you. Well done! We are FAR safer with the nasty board game players off the streets.

Sniff... sniff.... do you smell that? It's sarcasm.

• Like 2

Is it a formal policy to post the most intellectually challenged officers to that part of the country?

You are policing an area with a large restive element unhappy about the way that they are treated and have their identity surprised within it's population, an area with an active terrorist movement trying to establish and nurture political roots in that population; and you go after board game players!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Start?

I recall that in 2016 the police and military arrested and fined 30+  people for playing Bridge.

Same year (aseannews.com) the military arrested 8 senior pensioners for playing dominoes.

So if it's dominoes, cards, mahjong or game involving dice, play it at home with your family. Ain't freedom great?

There was also the case of people being arrested for playing darts and told they needed a license. There is no such license. Then there was the police raid to capture those evil arcade cranes where you try and fail to lift and win a small toy. Every seaside town in my native UK has several huge premises packed with those type of games, all illegal in Thailand. Thailand is simply a repressive state where almost everything is illegal. The only positive is that, being Thailand, the laws are rarely enforced.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Phakdee Party spokesman handed a letter to the Interior Ministry to investigate this board game. The letter stated the board game ‘Patani Colonial Territory’ is a game about Patani colonial history which is being supported by the Progressive Movement Foundation and allegedly causing disruption and societal problems.

Heaven's forbid anyone would think the south had its own history.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

Heaven's forbid anyone would think the south had its own history.

Maybe im wrong so I will apologise but I'm sure I read that in the 1930's The south was part of Malaysia then Japan walked into Thailand and because Thailand joined them they thanked Thailand by giving them the southen provinces. These should have been given back to Malaysia at the end of the war but USA prevented it (declaration of war was lost in the post excuse) as well as war retribution the uk wanted. Think this post well be deleted!!!

4 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Maybe im wrong

Indeed you are, the Malay states of Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu claimed by Thailand after the Japanese invasion of the Malay Peninsular were returned to Britain after the end of the war. These three states were previously part of Thailand until the 1909 Anglo-Siamese Treaty, which saw them ceded to Britain. They also returned the Shan States to Burma as well as territory taken from Laos and Cambodia then French Indochina. Where the US did intercede was with Britain's claims for war reparations. These Thailand didn't pay, and indeed they actually benefited from a large US aid package.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:53 AM, NONG CHOK said:

I need to be very careful playing snakes & ladders with my wifes' grand son.

You better hide the  Chutes and Ladders game. It may offend construction workers and cause dissent also. 

Edited by thesetat

On 11/30/2022 at 11:12 AM, Stocky said:

Indeed you are, the Malay states of Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu claimed by Thailand after the Japanese invasion of the Malay Peninsular were returned to Britain after the end of the war. These three states were previously part of Thailand until the 1909 Anglo-Siamese Treaty, which saw them ceded to Britain. They also returned the Shan States to Burma as well as territory taken from Laos and Cambodia then French Indochina. Where the US did intercede was with Britain's claims for war reparations. These Thailand didn't pay, and indeed they actually benefited from a large US aid package.

You have confused me (which isn't hard). I miss remembered or confused the territories gifted to thailand by the japanese for being their allie WW2. However I am correct that America prevented war retribution Thailand should have paid (they wanted influence in South Asia). Yes America ploughed vast amounts of money into thailand which I believe should have made thailand as prosperous as Japan and South Korea but the thai elites did what the thai elites do best! I still can't get it out of my head as I'm sure I've read some territories land remained the same (gifted) by Japan.