Accident: Traphaya Rd at Pratumnak Traffic signal Friday 25/11

dddave

Please, if anybody on this forum witnessed the above accident in which my friend Mike was run down by a car while crossing at a pedestrian crossing, please pm me.

Unlike the similar accident yesterday on 2nd Road, this did not make the news and we have no videos or witnesses.  Mike is in an ICU, on a breathing tube with multiple serious injuries.  Please let me know if you know anything about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hope you get some answers, but contacting the local media might see some action..

Enforcement. Cops sit there and fine offenders.  Uh yeah..

Still, tourists are still in short supply, and having them picked off in crosswalks is not a good look..

People need to learn. Pedestrian crossings mean nothing in Thailand. Always cross only when traffic allows. Pedestrian crossings are part of the dumbing down of the populace in the west. People are no longer capable of doing simple stuff like looking for traffic.

With that said, my best wishes to the victim and good luck finding the car driver. I have to believe that it was a hit and run, even though not stated.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gargamon said:

People need to learn. Pedestrian crossings mean nothing in Thailand.

Appears true...recently they have built plenty new ones around town, red colored (dare I ask why red?). And we have had a spate of hit and runs!

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Driver was a retired farang.  Claims he is too poor to pay compensation.

We'll see about that

Presuming that he has vehicle insurance, there should be some third party cover particularly if is number one.

So I would start with that before you start going after compensation.

If he has it, make sure the insurance company has been contacted so they can start the process of paying out.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

OP here.  I was just informed the police have the driver and that he remained at the scene.  He also had a dashcam which clearly shows him accelerating as the light counted down, it was red by the time he went through, my friend had a green pedestrian light.   Of course we all know that a green light means nothing, utmost caution necessary at all times crossing.

We'll see about that.

No one got CCTV from nearby cameras? police usually get them straight away

3 hours ago, dddave said:

OP here.  I was just informed the police have the driver and that he remained at the scene.  He also had a dashcam which clearly shows him accelerating as the light counted down, it was red by the time he went through, my friend had a green pedestrian light.   Of course we all know that a green light means nothing, utmost caution necessary at all times crossing.

We'll see about that.

I hope your friend makes a solid recover.

Thanks for the follow up - Shocking that it was a ‘foreigner’ accelerating through the red-lights... some people just go native.... 

... Can’t pay compensation...   I wonder if his insurance would. 

Not stopping at lights - surely thats also a criminal matter. 

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

People need to learn. Pedestrian crossings mean nothing in Thailand. Always cross only when traffic allows. Pedestrian crossings are part of the dumbing down of the populace in the west. People are no longer capable of doing simple stuff like looking for traffic.

Agreed... But even when being so careful... I’ve nearly been hit a coupe of times. 

Attempting to cross.. cars stop.... another is slowing, then seems to decide he doesn’t want to stop and  you have to ‘jog’ out of the way.... 

The way drivers in Thailand gamble with the lived of pedestrians infuriates me. 

---------

I recall a few years back... At a pedestrian crossing...  Ekammai in Bangkok - crossing with my Son (5 years old). 

Two cars heading north stopped...  reached the central reservation, 1 car heading south (left lane) also stopped....   Then a taxi approached as I was about to step out from the centre, taxi was still 50m away but accelerating and was hitting his horn so I waited... 

I shouted as he passed, the taxi skidded to a stop....  I reached the pavement and saw the taxi driver getting out of his car...  looking at me very angrily. 

I was with my son so didn’t want anything to escalate, but... for a moment there I thought he was going to come at me... The taxi driver, sensibly changed his mind and got back in the car.

Crossing the road - it doesn't matter how careful and safe we are when there are lunatics on the road it can still be ridiculous. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gargamon said:

With that said, my best wishes to the victim and good luck finding the car driver. I have to believe that it was a hit and run, even though not stated.

And how would you suggest the tourists, here for a few days or weeks should learn? Another major problem is tourists looking the wrong way when they cross. If you've been driving on the right side of the road all your life, it's a very easy mistake to make. it's hard to re-program instincts if you're on a short vacation. I was riding down the road yesterday when a pedestrian was crossing the road looking the other way, blissfully unaware of the traffic heading in his direction.

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

And how would you suggest the tourists, here for a few days or weeks should learn? Another major problem is tourists looking the wrong way when they cross. If you've been driving on the right side of the road all your life, it's a very easy mistake to make. it's hard to re-program instincts if you're on a short vacation. I was riding down the road yesterday when a pedestrian was crossing the road looking the other way, blissfully unaware of the traffic heading in his direction.

Probably best advice is don't use zebra crossings then you'll be alert always crossing the road

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Shocking that it was a ‘foreigner’ accelerating through the red-lights... some people just go native....

That's the normal way of driving where I'm from (Western Sydney). Amber light means gun it even though the law states you should actually stop if safe to do so. 

When i used to catch the bus to work it was very common to have to walk around the front of cars who thought better of running the red and ended up with half their car across the 2nd white line. There's two white lines at intersections, you're supposed to stop at the first but nobody in my old area pays the slightest attention to that rule either.

You can't say anything to them either or they'll get their brother, their cousin, their uncle and their sister to bash ya! ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dddave said:

We'll see about that.

So Farang driver 100% at fault causing an accident that resulted in grievous bodily harm to an innocent pedestrian.

I'd ask the cops to suggest the ultimatum.

Pay medical bill and compensation

or

do jail time and then deportation.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably best advice is don't use zebra crossings then you'll be alert always crossing the road

At the location of the Jomtien 2nd Rd incident, there were barriers to force the use of the crossing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

At the location of the Jomtien 2nd Rd incident, there were barriers to force the use of the crossing. 

There will be exceptions but crossings are best avoided. A difficult road to cross is 2nd road outside central. Then there's Thepprasit, another level, vehicles think they're still on Sukhumvit 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

There will be exceptions but crossings are best avoided. A difficult road to cross is 2nd road outside central. Then there's Thepprasit, another level, vehicles think they're still on Sukhumvit 

Third Rd Pattaya too I have struggled to cross. 

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Won't your mate's insurance company take care of that?

Just found out and something people buying travel insurance should know:  The insurance co. says that before they pay out, all available insurance from the at fault driver must be exhausted first.  This is going to be a billing nightmare for his family.

23 hours ago, gargamon said:

When there’s somebody in front of your car you DO need to stop. ????????‍♂️

43 minutes ago, dddave said:

Just found out and something people buying travel insurance should know:  The insurance co. says that before they pay out, all available insurance from the at fault driver must be exhausted first.  This is going to be a billing nightmare for his family.

Geez that's rough. Malicious even. I hope he pulls through OK and that the driver gets taken to the cleaners. 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

That sounds like the worse insurance company in the world, they should cover his medical bills then claim from the driver

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, dddave said:

We'll see about that.

I think some of the old farangs here are as bad as the thais. They think because there are no traffic rules here they can do as they like. "Too poor" check the 800k he has in the bank.

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

I think some of the old farangs here are as bad as the thais. They think because there are no traffic rules here they can do as they like. "Too poor" check the 800k he has in the bank.

He may well use income, 65k/month, or be on a marriage extension, requiring less, or even pay an agent to bypass money in the bank requirement. There will be compulsory (CTPL) vehicle insurance which has liability cover ...