Thai / Lao Bridge #3 -- eVisa

Joe, 

Unfortunatelly, things have changed on the lao land borders, there's now only a few that can deliver visa on arrival, I was in Huai Khon a few weeks ago and was refused passage as they do not deliver Voa anymore.

Upon asking for info, I was told that only a few are able to deliver Voa now.

11 minutes ago, egypte said:

Joe, 

Unfortunatelly, things have changed on the lao land borders, there's now only a few that can deliver visa on arrival, I was in Huai Khon a few weeks ago and was refused passage as they do not deliver Voa anymore.

I don't recall them doing a Lao visa on arrival before. It is priarmily for Thais and Laotians.

I not not aware of any crossing that did them before not doing them now.

Well I have been crossing at Huai Khon for the past 6 years and always got Visa on arrival, but when they reopenned after Covid, the VOA disapeared.

I khow there was stories of Bikers having problems there, but with a car I have never had any problems.

Here attached the list of Laos and Cmbodia Land borders offering VOA

2022 Laos Land borders with VOA.jpg

2022 Cambodia Land borders with VOA.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, egypte said:

Joe, 

I am aware that, a number of years ago, Laos stopped issuing visas on arrival at Savannakhet international airport. That change was announced. If other crossings stopped giving VOAs, there would normally a notification of the change. However, the authorities may have decided that VOA issuance was suspended, and they announced when they restarted at selected entry points. Thus, other suspensions may or may not be permanent. It might just be a case of a few residual restrictions from Covid not yet having been lifted.

EDIT: As it turns out, the Lao authorities did announce the change to the entry points issuing visas on arrival. See https://web.archive.org/web/20210723232142/https://laos-adventures.com/laos-travel-guide-visa:

TOURIST VISA ON ARRIVAL

The Lao government has recently changed where 30-day tourist visas on arrival are issued. Travelers flying into Wattay/Vientiane International Airport, Pakse/Champassak International Airport, or Luang Prabang International Airport can still get a visa on arrival. When crossing via land borders, only the following borders are still issuing visas on arrival: 

• Trapaingkriel - Veun Kham, Stung Treng Province to Champasack Province (Cambodia)
  • Mohan - Boten , Yunnan to Luang Namtha Province (China)
  • Chiangkhong - Houixay, Chiang Rai to Bokeo Province (Thailand)
  • Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I, Nong Khai-Vientiane Capital (Thailand)
  • Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II, Moukdahan-Savannakhet Province (Thailand)
  • Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge III, Nakorn Phanom-Thakhek/Khammouane Province (Thailand)
  • Chongmek - Vangtao, Ubol Ratchathani to Champasack Province (Thailand)
  • Thanaleng Railway Station (Thailand)
  • Lao Bao - Dansavanh, Quang tri to Savannakhet Province (Vietnam)

Edited by BritTim
  • Thanks 1