U.S. Taxpayer Advocate Office

Pronto2

As we all know, the pleasure and happiness of living here in Thailand can, at times, be diminished a bit by difficulties in taking care of business back home, especially if that home is the U.S. and the business has anything to do with the federal government agencies.

I’m interested to know if anyone has dealt with the U.S. IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service? And would be interested to know of the quality of the service, ease of communication, helpfulness, etc.

After smooth sailing all my adult life, I’ve now a tax filing problem that began five years ago with their withholding yearly refunds for some undefined “past tax obligation”. Now, after those five years and services of two different accounting firms, we’re no nearer understanding what the IRS complaint is and what it is they want. All we (me and the accountants) receive is yet another “we need more time” reply from them.

Certainly the accountants know more than I do, but by now after five years something surely should have been resolved or at least made more clear. So, I’m considering contacting the Taxpayer Advocate myself to ask for an answer to the simple question, “Just what is the problem; and what do you guys want?”  Just interested on some recon about the Taxpayer Advocate Service before I start.  Thanks!

I did contact them for a widow I was helping, dealing with them only via email and their web site.  Forgotten the exact details but it was actually a situation that sounds similar to yours.  And old issue challenging a refund  from several years in the past rationale for which was submitted several times.  Letter documenting were on file.  I provided it all and the Advocate got the issue closed as if it had just gotten lost in the files somewhere.

I would not hesitate to contact them again the minute I run across another problem that won't resolve itself. 

So I highly recommend you contact the advocate for your area.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have an ongoing issue with them.  I called them on their toll free number on September 20.  They told me that they would be reviewing my file and would most likely be sending me a form by snail mail to fill out and return to them.  So far I have gotten nothing, but things do move very slowly, especially if it is done by snail mail, so I am not too concerned yet.  But since noise mentioned dealing with them by email, I was wonder what that may be.  I've found nothing on their website on contacting them electronically.  

Did you try Googling Advocate for your state or location you have an issue with?  And googling for Advocate email address?

If I remember correctly, I was dealing with the office covering the address to which a non-US citizen files paper 1040s.   Did the googling to find out how to contact online, etc.  This was several years ago and I am not at home right now so I can not research my records to be more specific.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, noise said:

I did contact them for a widow I was helping, dealing with them only via email and their web site.  Forgotten the exact details but it was actually a situation that sounds similar to yours.  And old issue challenging a refund  from several years in the past rationale for which was submitted several times.  Letter documenting were on file.  I provided it all and the Advocate got the issue closed as if it had just gotten lost in the files somewhere.

I would not hesitate to contact them again the minute I run across another problem that won't resolve itself. 

So I highly recommend you contact the advocate for your area.   

Thank you for this insight and for sharing.