Bali Hai pier waiting room

bradiston

This topic came up in a thread recently but I can't find it. The news was the waiting room was going to be demolished and a new one built.

I went down there this evening to have a look. It's still standing and yes there is a large room with about 50 seats. But also a large table. Fascinating, right? So I asked one of the security there if it was opened in the day. He smiled and said no. What, never, I asked. That's right he said. He said it was only used as a meeting room for officials. So where can people sit while they're waiting for the ferry? Over there. He pointed to some benches out in the open.

Next up, I asked another guard outside the 7/11 opposite the car park. The row of small buildings recently demolished next to the existing 7 is being redeveloped. I asked him what were they building there. Another 7, he said. But there's one right next door. Ah, this is going to be a really big 7 with a waiting room and toilets.

So there we have it. An enormous 7 with all mod cons. Brilliant! But what they'll put in place of the existing waiting room, I've no idea. The little shop spaces round the back are, needless to say, empty.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, but the usual suspects will have fatter wallets, so mission accomplished.

Since when was 7 11 in the public toilet business?

Somebody, I guess up in City Hall, seems to have hit on the bright idea of privatising public utilities and offloading the city council's responsibilities to provide facilities for tourists. If a 7 franchisee is willing to do this, so be it. It could be great for business. There are several "Super 7s" (my brand name) that I know of in Pattaya. Tai has one, and Soi 5 Pratamnak down on the beach, next to Sands is another. Sitting outside with a coffee and a Danish carbonara, access to clean rest room. What's not to like? Perhaps a new partnership is being launched.

Note: the branch of 7 that's there now was closed for most of the COVID era. Not even open outside of lockdown. A good location in season I would have thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1