25 tonnes of meat soaked in formalin seized from Chonburi illegal meat processing plant

webfact

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

Does it not taste of petrol and diesel with a gritty texture. :giggle:

One of my biggest disappointments in returning to Thailand after an absence of 25 years was the near impossibility of buying any kind of wild caught ocean fish here now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

One of my biggest disappointments in returning to Thailand after an absence of 25 years was the near impossibility of buying any kind of wild caught ocean fish here now.

If you are in the Jomtien area, early morning about 5-6  o'clock  half way along beach road, there is a few fishing boats selling what they just caught that night. ( it's  not  cheap, but fresh )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

If you are in the Jomtien area, early morning about 5-6  o'clock  half way along beach road, there is a few fishing boats selling what they just caught that night. ( it's  not  cheap, but fresh )

There's still the remnants of a trawler wharf right in the middle of walking street where you could sit and eat fresh cooked food right off the trawlers. Back in the 80's. Maybe even later. They used to tie up about 9PM.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You said it yourself , unrefrigerated  ,the Formalin stops it going bad .....

regards Worgeordie

Okay but then why was there a nauseating smell around? Had they saved on the amount of Formalin ?

BTW Bon appetit or not

6 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Okay but then why was there a nauseating smell around? Had they saved on the amount of Formalin ?

BTW Bon appetit or not

Off  cuts , sh!t from the intestines of animals , meat maybe not as fresh as it should

be ,the meat was all offal ,which in the past has been more expensive than the best

cuts , strange .

regards Worgeordie

4 minutes ago, Johnnyngai said:

I do not eat any seafood when I am in Chiang Mai, 

formalin is much cheaper then refrigerated trucks. 

I always wonder how they keep the mussels fresh

in Chiang Mai's Warorot market. 

I was once in the market when a flatbed truck rolled up to unload a cargo

of chicken ,which was in bags with what looked like dirty water , it was only

covered with a sheet with some ice spread among the load, when they pulled

the sheet back the smell nearly knocked me off my feet , put me off chicken

for a while.....

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carlyai said:

I'd think that a shot of formalin when you're getting older would be good for you. ????

In 2011, formalin aka formaldehyde was placed on the list of known human carcinogens. Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

*Deleted post edited out*

I must admit that I am quite touched by these news...........for this seems to be going on for quite some time - where exactly I do not know.

I remember many years ago, we did often eat at the Hua Hin Night Market (where all these sea food restaurants are along the street). And then a rumour came up that our favourite restaurant had used formalin to preserve its merchandise. True or not I do not know.

But it did prevent us from visiting them any more - although they seemed to be tastier than the venues near the Hilton which are built into the sea.

Now this. Just imagine, Formalin is as well preferably used to preserve dead corpses. WIll see how we cope with that one. Starting to catch fish ourselves ? How about meat ? For chicken the issue seems to have been eaten, too ???? Any formalin detectors on Lozada ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I remember formalin from preparing dead animals like fish to show them as a trophy on the wall. I remember it had a strong smell.

Wouldn't people notice that smell or a bad taste with this meat?

Or how do they process that so that people eat it?

Pretty much all of our food stuffs are covered in chemicals of some sort, hence why you should always wash veg before cooking and its no different from this stuff, wash it and generally you will remove all tastes of it. In the UK we often use bleach to get them white as stomachs can be green from the staining of the grass and no one wants to eat green dim sum.

Dim sum in Chinese restaurants is where most of this stuff ends up, not cheap and certainly not in any street meat.