25 tonnes of meat soaked in formalin seized from Chonburi illegal meat processing plant

webfact

Formalin?  All those tanks un refrigerated?   WTH!    That's lots of product.   I don't understand why they do this.    Its bad enough to see them cut it up fresh in the markets with flies and no refrigeration 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Formalin?  All those tanks un refrigerated?   WTH!    That's lots of product.   I don't understand why they do this.    Its bad enough to see them cut it up fresh in the markets with flies and no refrigeration 

You said it yourself , unrefrigerated  ,the Formalin stops it going bad .....

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does this statement mean they were simply operating without the proper license?  

Possibly produce the license and the meat will be available to you, and be able to sell it ?

"Somchuan told the plant’s owner to produce the operating license to livestock officials within 15 days otherwise the confiscated meat would be buried or burned."

• Thanks 1

The problem here is no meat regulations as in other countries as a x butcher I see things that would never be allowed in other countries but it's all to keep the price down and over regulate would put them out of business

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Very worrying situation.....barbecue shops off the list!

and of course the many street vendors - where do they source their product ?, of course it is all highly regulated by authorities - standards are well maintained here,  :omfg:

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

One can imagine most of the Thai street stalls buy the cheapest ingredients to keep costs down and still  make a profit

Fortunately this has, I believe, largely changed to frozen ingredients; i.e., cheaper from Makro and the like. Storage and transportation is also cleaner and easier for the sellers.

My missus has never bought seafood from the markets and warned me years ago about the commonplace use of formalin there. Just recently I was reminded of this when buying cooked seafood on 2 different occasions; bbq scallops (Coquille St Jaques) and the griddled squid roe which is very popular now. Both tasted good and fresh and were cooked well but left me with a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. I wondered if this was due to formalin.

6 hours ago, webfact said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

from an illegal meat processing plant in the Sri Racha

after nearby residents had complained to him about a foul smell emanating from the facility while some were concerned that the place might spread disease to the community.

If it was illegal why hasn't it been investigated and shut down before?

Or any inspections carried out by FDA or health inspectors?

[Rhetorical.. I know where I am]

• Like 1