Installing KBank app from outside Thailand

Hi

I bought a new phone in the UK and tried to install the KBank app but it always give me the message "For your first time set up, please disable your WiFi connection in the device's settings and use cellular data to proceed (268)".

I have done this but still get this error.  I am not using my Thai SIM (DTAC) because I don't want to use roaming mobile data.

Has anyone managed to get the app installed? 

Thanks for the link to the other thread.  t does seems you need to be using mobile data from a Thai SIM and possibly the Thai SIM with the number that is registered although that is not clear.

I did try a VPN but maybe not with my Thai SIM in the phone.  I don't know of any one day roaming packages.

My main Thai number is DTAC, this is the one that is linked to my bank account.  I do have a True H SIM which is in my tab and used for my TrueID sports subscription.

I think I will just try installing it whilst at the bag carousel.  DTAC are givng me 24 hrs free mobile data for being an old customer (20 years this year).

I will ask customer service once I am back and hope to get a definitive answer.

too have a K-bank account and can state emphatically that when you switch/have a new phone, you must register and sign onto the new acct/new phone by doing so at the K- Branch the first time you want to use a new device.  

I too tried everything that everyone listed in the comments, those don’t work.  You must do so at a K branch/bank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, damole said:

Thanks for the link to the other thread.  t does seems you need to be using mobile data from a Thai SIM and possibly the Thai SIM with the number that is registered although that is not clear.

I did try a VPN but maybe not with my Thai SIM in the phone.  I don't know of any one day roaming packages.

My main Thai number is DTAC, this is the one that is linked to my bank account.  I do have a True H SIM which is in my tab and used for my TrueID sports subscription.

I think I will just try installing it whilst at the bag carousel.  DTAC are givng me 24 hrs free mobile data for being an old customer (20 years this year).

The whole idea of this is the your security. When installing and registering the app for the first time on a new phone you simply have to use the phone number registered with the bank. Otherwise anyone who has your details could install and use the app with your bank account details.

Your only 2 options are to keep using the old phone for this app till you return to Thailand, or out on the correct sim, open data usage to register the app and then you can keep using WiFi to work with the app. If you already downloaded the app, the actual activation won't take much data usage so it shouldn't be very expensive anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, damole said:

I too had DTac sim card.  That isn’t the problem.  

i bought a new iphone last year in the states and downloaded tge k-app and it wouldn’t work on tge bew phone.  So, i tried to go back to tge old phone, but aftertrying on the new phone, the k app blocked me until i was able to return back to thailand.  I currently using my Verizon usa sim and works fine with my k app on the mobile.  It’s not about tge sim…it’s more to do with the original k app that is registered and usable on the phone that was given permission to log in.  Once you switch phones…if you try and switch phones without the assistance from a k bank rep…you will be locked-out until you can return back yo Thailand 

E5158452-3566-4E0B-A9B0-5C72E48F4C79.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember, when I went to the bank to explain loosing access to tge k app, i saw the bank manager open the app and use a backdoor feature.  She then looked at her badge ID # and she then inputted her credentials and after a couple seconds the phone buzzed and a text arrived.  She did a bunch more inputs and log-ins and eventually we had access again.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DangerRuss said:

too have a K-bank account and can state emphatically that when you switch/have a new phone, you must register and sign onto the new acct/new phone by doing so at the K- Branch the first time you want to use a new device.  

I too tried everything that everyone listed in the comments, those don’t work.  You must do so at a K branch/bank. 

I had to go to the bank to set it up the first time, but when I switched phones I didn't, but as the OP said, I did have to turn wifi off and use the SIM for data connection. 

16 minutes ago, DangerRuss said:

I'm in Chiang Mai. 5 months ago I, and my Thai DIL who is a phone apps / banking wiz tried to install at home, no success.

DIL took me to K Bank (5 minutes drive), supervisor came and mentioned that you now have to do it at a K Bank branch and she asked If she could go ahead and do the installation.

She explained every step to my DIL then did the activity so that my DIL could see what she was doing. Two minutes later all done.

Helpful and polite bank supervisor (good English) then asked that we go to a very close by kiosk, make a small purchase using the K+ app to check it's working OK. It worked perfectly and no problem since and I use it a lot. 

• Thanks 1

I am going to try for fun, putting my Indian SIM in my old phone, in slot 2, along with my Thai SIM in slot 1,  disabling WiFi but using my Indian SIM for which I have a data package and see what happens.  I am in India right now.

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm in Chiang Mai. 5 months ago I, and my Thai DIL who is a phone apps / banking wiz tried to install at home, no success.

DIL took me to K Bank (5 minutes drive), supervisor came and mentioned that you now have to do it at a K Bank branch and she asked If she could go ahead and do the installation.

She explained every step to my DIL then did the activity so that my DIL could see what she was doing. Two minutes later all done.

Helpful and polite bank supervisor (good English) then asked that we go to a very close by kiosk, make a small purchase using the K+ app to check it's working OK. It worked perfectly and no problem since and I use it a lot. 

Many thanks for this perfect explanation. Things have changed and for the better from the security point of view!

2 hours ago, DangerRuss said:

Not anymore. The last two times I changed phones, it could all be done from home - within Thailand and using the same SIM card though. 

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Not anymore. The last two times I changed phones, it could all be done from home - within Thailand and using the same SIM card though. 

Same for me, on ios with icloud backups tho.

Not sure what would happen if i would set up everything from scratch, might be a different experience.

2 hours ago, damole said:

I am going to try for fun, putting my Indian SIM in my old phone, in slot 2, along with my Thai SIM in slot 1,  disabling WiFi but using my Indian SIM for which I have a data package and see what happens.  I am in India right now.

I think you'll need a thai roaming package on thai sim but let us know

My wife thinks if you've registered already with the Mobile app on your Thai number when you were here and it was active:

You have to have mobile data on your new phone ( obv' Thai roaming as your in the UK ), It should work to download it onto the new phone. You're number is already registered & active at the bank.

3 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

My wife thinks if you've registered already with the Mobile app on your Thai number when you were here and it was active:

You have to have mobile data on your new phone ( obv' Thai roaming as your in the UK ), It should work to download it onto the new phone. You're number is already registered & active at the bank.

Your wife is right, thai sim roaming needs to be switched on.

In Thailand, installing app on new phone should be a piece of cake

I downloaded the app to my old phone that it was previously working in.  Turned off WiFi and enabled roaming on my DTAC SIM but it only connected with EDGE.  I got the following new message but don't know if that was the slow connection speed.  Tried a couple of hours later and got the same message.

KBiz-error.jpg

• 2 weeks later...