Jump to content

Reading "Labels"


Confuscious
 Share

Recommended Posts

1.jpg.c3ca2cff3ccfe0116367e8615a70c1cc.jpg2.jpg.a921fd11a6df4441159bcae52d89ea3c.jpg3.jpg.035f19c61d1168def484aaf15b54d75b.jpgSince about a year, I try to filter my purchases of food as careful as possible.
But I get confused by reading the labels (in Thai).
As an example, I took the packing of a box of Danish cookies and look at the 3 labels on the same box,

The box contains 15 little pacs of 5 cookies each.
The important for me is the amount of Sugars (น้ำตาล).
The label gives for Sugars a total amount per serving (5 pieces at 34 gram) of 10 gram.
See figure: 1.jpg

A second label, gives the MAIN INGREDIENTS.
I gues that they want to give the % of ingredients to make 75 cookies.
Here, the amount of Sugar is 21%.
75 / 12 = 6.25% per cookie.
See figure: 2.jpg

Finally, looking at the labels which are printed on most alimentation products, the amount of Sugar is 150 gram for a pack (15 packs).
150 / 15 = 10% per cookie
See figure: 3.jpg

3 different figures on 1 package of cookies.
What am I missing here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

if manufacturer gives confusing info, do buy from competition which gives clear message.

If you are concerned about sugar don't buy any products which contain it.

Instead of sugar use honey, fruits - fresh and dried.

Another step might be doing your sugar-free cookies. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Labels are intentionally confusing, the ones in Europe which show as g in 100 and % are easy to understand.

 

The important thing is to work out whatever you are eating what the % is, for me I'd avoid high fat, biscuits are the worse, avoid them as much as poss

 

Ist image

Sugar 10g\34g = 30% sugar

Fat 9g\34g = 26% fat

 

2nd image

Sugar 21%

Fat 26% 

 

3rd image is of no use to me.

 

Not sure why Sugar % is different in 1st and 2nd image, most likely they have the figures wrong

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

That's correct. 

That's wrong.

150g/15=10g per pack of 5 (you said there are 15 packs), which is 1 serving. 

So 3.jpg says exactly the same as 1.jpg

I have no idea what your equation is supposed to mean. 

 

In this label, "sugar" has a different meaning.  

Here it's not นำตาล, it's นำตาลทราย. That's the amount of sugar out of a bag put into the dough. 21% of every single cookie are this added sugar.

But of course,  other ingredients also contain sugar นำตาล (there are no sugarless raisins). That's why the end product contains 10g sugar for every 34g serving,  which is roughly 10g/34g=.3=30%

You are correct on the equation which was erroneous.

The correct equation should be:

75/21=~3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Total sugar in a product will usually be higher than the added sugar.  Lots of the other ingredients can have sugar in them naturally.

 

Label one works out to 2 grams of sugar per cookie.  A cookie would be 6.8 grams (34/5).

 

Label two says 21% added sugar.  So 6.8 x .21 means 1.428 grams of added sugar.  The difference probably mostly comes from the raisins.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, proton said:

wife's job, they have to have some use 😀

The wife, mother in law and father in law all hand me things to read the labels asking what's in them. The main reason is the text is too small. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Ask the cutest girl in the store to help you translate and you might end up with a date.

She might tell him he is past his expiration Date. 😜 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always ask myself how many of these labels show accurate information. And then the calories. Here the smallest can of Mackerel you can buy - recommended serving size is 1/2 can. So it doesn't have many calories. This is perhaps 1 bite. BUT on the positive side there is the allergy warning that it contains fish 🐠🐟⚠️😂. And often the text is so small that you can't read it anyway without magnifying it. 

 

20221207_101128.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

That's correct. 

That's wrong.

150g/15=10g per pack of 5 (you said there are 15 packs), which is 1 serving. 

So 3.jpg says exactly the same as 1.jpg

I have no idea what your equation is supposed to mean. 

 

In this label, "sugar" has a different meaning.  

Here it's not นำตาล, it's นำตาลทราย. That's the amount of sugar out of a bag put into the dough. 21% of every single cookie are this added sugar.

But of course,  other ingredients also contain sugar นำตาล (there are no sugarless raisins). That's why the end product contains 10g sugar for every 34g serving,  which is roughly 10g/34g=.3=30%

น้ำตาลทราย is granulated sugar, ie refined, rather than cane sugar.

 

Cookies, along with a host of other junk foods, are mostly just flour, preservatives, refined sugar and palm oil, a completely worthless combination as a food source and extraordinarily bad news for the environment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares about that? What drives me freaking crazy is the way they stick the Thai sticker carefully and precisely on each packet over stuff like the cooking instructions. How stupid do you have to be to do that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I always ask myself how many of these labels show accurate information. And then the calories. Here the smallest can of Mackerel you can buy - recommended serving size is 1/2 can. So it doesn't have many calories. This is perhaps 1 bite. BUT on the positive side there is the allergy warning that it contains fish 🐠🐟⚠️😂. And often the text is so small that you can't read it anyway without magnifying it. 

 

20221207_101128.jpg

I use this style of label all the time to check the contents. It lists carbs, and dietary fibre. Subtract the second from the first and you have the net carbs. Then check the sugar content. It's added.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Who cares about that? What drives me freaking crazy is the way they stick the Thai sticker carefully and precisely on each packet over stuff like the cooking instructions. How stupid do you have to be to do that? 

Mostly, a sticker is placed over the label so that reading the label is impossible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 7:50 AM, Confuscious said:

You are correct on the equation which was erroneous.

The correct equation should be:

75/21=~3

This equation doesn't make sense, either. 

BTW 75/21%=~350

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Mostly, a sticker is placed over the label so that reading the label is impossible.

They do this to give you an incentive to learn Thai.

🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...