Thai Visa at Vientiane

It is the time again for planning my 6-month stay in Thailand from March 15 to Sept 15. Planning to get a Thai TR visa at USA and extend it once. Hop to Vientiane and get another tourist visa and then extend it again. Can somebody please post how easy and the process to get a Thai visa in Vientiane. Never been to Vientiane but I have an invitation to go to Vientiane. Is it better to get a Thai visa at Vientiane or two border runs flying from Bangkok to Udon Thani and then crossing the Friendship bridge? Please post your tips and tricks. I see round trip tickets are available from BKK to VTE for < $120 now. Is visa on arrival available at VTE for US passport holders? Thanks

Edited by Onerak

Bumping thread as you didn't have reply 

One thing that you should check out is waiting time for appointments at Vientiane.

Your plan is workable.

One thing you could add to the mix is some other places for the tourist visa.

Examples such as Saigon etc.

Depends where you would be staying in Thailand.

There are trip report threads about border and visa runs from Udon Thani. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Depends where you would be staying in Thailand.

I will be in Pattaya. I can go to other places but I never been to Vientiane and I have an invitation now to go to Vientiane but there is no obligation for me to go. If I go to Vientiane, I will have a companion to show me around and I see some fun filled night clubs in Tik Toks. Two border runs from Pattaya is around 10K and most probably sitting in a van all day. Very tiring and boring I assume. I see flights are cheaper to many neighboring countries. My favorite place was Penang before Covid-19. 

10 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I have an invitation now to go to Vientiane but there is no obligation for me to go

For Vientiane I wouldn't even consider mini van.

Flights Bangkok to Udon Thani and then either mini van from Udon airport or bus station near central plaza is easy.

About an hour on straight drive.

A companion that knows Vientiane would be a bonus.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For Vientiane I wouldn't even consider mini van.

I was not considering mini van to Laos. What I was saying that two border runs from Pattaya is 10K and they are by mini vans, boring and tiring. I can buy a direct flight from DMK to VET for less than < $120. I also need a Thai visa for my second leg of 6-months stay. I can kill two birds with one stone. Get a visa and a tour Vientiane and a night club visit that my inviter posted in Tik Tok.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I was not considering mini van to Laos. What I was saying that two border runs from Pattaya is 10K and they are by mini vans, boring and tiring. I can buy a direct flight from DMK to VET for less than < $120. I also need a Thai visa for my second leg of 6-months stay. I can kill two birds with one stone. Get a visa and a tour Vientiane and a night club visit that my inviter posted in Tik Tok.

No doubt you considered the initial entry (Mar 15) to be visa exempt entry.

That option would be 15 days shy of your required 6 month stay.

Just a consideration. 

A longer stay even possible with a border run.

29 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I also need a Thai visa for my second leg of 6-months stay. I can kill two birds with one stone. Get a visa and a tour Vientiane and a night club visit that my inviter posted in Tik Tok.

To avoid needing another tourist visa you could get a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) so all you have to do is a border hop to get a new 60 day entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

All us old timers here are used to flights to Vientiane being outrageously expensive. With Air Asia now having introduced really cheap flights, we need to change our thinking. Going via Udon Thani (at least on the outbound trip) now makes little sense.

Your idea of flying to Vientiane looks good. Visa on arrival at Vientiane airport is no problem. (Make sure you have clean, undamaged US dollars to pay for it.)

Assuming you can get an appointment at the right time, a tourist visa application at the Thai embassy should be easy, and I would recommend it as your best solution.

For those relying on visa exemptions, flying into the Bangkok airports requires caution. Depending on prior immigration history, it can result in a denied entry. Thus, while flying to Vientiane seems always a great idea, some may need to return in the traditional way, via the Friendship Bridge and flying from Udon Thani airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

For those relying on visa exemptions, flying into the Bangkok airports requires caution. Depending on prior immigration history, it can result in a denied entry. Thus, while flying to Vientiane seems always a great idea, some may need to return in the traditional way, via the Friendship Bridge and flying from Udon Thani airport.

Any idea of numbers (or estimates) on how many have actually been denied entry (since covid)?   I know many have been questioned closely upon arrival recently.    

4 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Any idea of numbers (or estimates) on how many have actually been denied entry (since covid)?   I know many have been questioned closely upon arrival recently.    

Have not read any reports other than warnings and hassle.

Recently an elderly lady was put through the wringer however that was BKK to KL and flight straight back the same day.

Personally think out/back in same day using air and visa exempt entry not a good idea. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Why not get a multiple entry tourist visa in the U.S. 60 days + 30 days extension. Visit whatever country you desire then repeat. Not much happening in Vientiane everyone in bed by 10 pm. 

Exactly. 

With a visa no onward flight required if entering via air and so many great places to have mini holiday eg Saigon.

What is cost of METV? 

Edited by DrJack54

17 hours ago, Onerak said:

It is the time again for planning my 6-month stay in Thailand from March 15 to Sept 15. Planning to get a Thai TR visa at USA and extend it once.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No doubt you considered the initial entry (Mar 15) to be visa exempt entry.

Nope the initial entry is a TR visa from the USA. I always get TR visa from the USA. And with eVisa now it is a breeze. That covers me for three months. For my six month stay, I need another TR visa or two visa exempt entry. 

32 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Why not get a multiple entry tourist visa in the U.S. 60 days + 30 days extension. Visit whatever country you desire then repeat. Not much happening in Vientiane everyone in bed by 10 pm. 

My inviter posted a few Tik Tok movies with some great night club scene. Not sure how long they are open. I am OK if they are open till 12 mid-night. Would like to  go to bed by 2AM anyway. 

35 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Does not it take more paper works compared to a Single entry TV? Single entry TV is a breeze for me now that I have all the required documents are in my OneDrive folder. Just need to get a new printout for the bank statement.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your idea of flying to Vientiane looks good. Visa on arrival at Vientiane airport is no problem. (Make sure you have clean, undamaged US dollars to pay for it.)

How much is the visa on arrival fees for Laos? 

Edited by Onerak

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

Does not it take more paper works compared to a Single entry TV? Single entry TV is a breeze for me now that I have all the required documents are in my OneDrive folder. Just need to get a new printout for the bank statement.

Reading back in your thread, clearly you are well aware of your options.

Think couple of suggestions eg METV from uj and others etc.

Why ask questions when clearly are well informed and have already chosen your pathway. 

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why ask questions when clearly are well informed and have already chosen your pathway. 

Here are the main reasons for me to ask questions. If only people are able to read and comprehend. 

Can somebody please post how easy and the process to get a Thai visa in Vientiane. Is it better to get a Thai visa at Vientiane or two border runs flying from Bangkok to Udon Thani and then crossing the Friendship bridge? Please post your tips and tricks.  Is visa on arrival available at VTE for US passport holders? 

5 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

You’ve never heard of Bor Panyang,Samlor or @Home then? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaitero said:

If one has US$100 bill, do they give us money or laos money back as change ? 

Back when a Lao visa on arrival cost me US$35, I once proffered $40 and received a $5 bill as change. However, I do not know if you can rely on receiving change in US dollars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaitero said:

If one has US$100 bill, do they give us money or laos money back as change ? 

I always got US dollars back from them in the past, but would try to have exact change if possible. If they run out of change, who knows?

• Like 1