Catering Services Return on Select SRT Routes

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - Following a two-year hiatus due to the global pandemic, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has reinstated onboard catering services on select express services to the North, Northeast, and South.

SRT Public Relations Director Ekkarat Sriarayanpong said that from September 27 to October 17, the SRT solicited bids from private companies to operate restaurant cars on four express services running the Northern, Northeastern, and Southern lines.

According to the director, Advanced Marketing Services has been awarded a catering contract that expires on December 5, 2025. Beginning on December 6 of this year, the company will reintroduce SRT restaurant cars on select routes.

The SRT said passengers who travel on the Uttarawithi Express (Bangkok-Chiang Mai), Taksinarath Express (Bangkok-Hat Yai), Isan Wattana (Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani) and Isan Mankha (Bangkok-Nong Khai) can now purchase ready-to-eat meals as well as hot and cold beverages.

Next month, the SRT will accept proposals for the same service on other express services between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, Sungai Kolok, Trang, and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221207055016782

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-12-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

on pre 2nd WW 2 trains.. Would it not be better to renew the whole railway network and with modern 21st century trains??

Well restaurant cars and counter to order found (as per photo) and trolley up and down the aisle is still very popular in Japan and on the hi-speed trains in China. 

In Japan on Shinkanzen and other trains passengers can call the restaurant car and order and food delivered to passengers seat.

Nothing spectacular but the broad variety and quality is worth mentioning. 

On the trolley service in Japan there's a wonderful variety of very fresh bento boxes and fresh sandwiches. I enjoyed fresh ham, cheese and tomato sandwiches many times and they also carry on their trolley good fresh hot coffee and very cold beer and other drinks. And the trolley comes up and down, all designed/manufacturered so there's no wheel or vibration noises, many times every hour.  And you can ask the trolley girl or boy to have the internet point near your seat switched on. And done in a few seconds. 

7 hours ago, Walkabout said:

Long, very long time ago, I enjoyed the freshly prepared meals in the restaurant cars. But the last times I traveled a few years ago, they served only frozen junk reheated in a micro-wave oven . . .  I was disappointed . . .

Yes, one of the delights of train travel was the freshly cooked food, with an ice cold beer, as you rumbled your way north to Chiang Rai, a cool breeze wafting through the open window...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yes, one of the delights of train travel was the freshly cooked food, with an ice cold beer, as you rumbled your way north to Chiang Rai, a cool breeze wafting through the open window...

No cold beer now on Thai Railways unless they have rescinded the ban after the rape case a 13 YO girl in 2014!

4 hours ago, DezLez said:

No cold beer now on Thai Railways

With respect, cold beer was available on the train I recently travelled on from Don Mung Station to Chiang Mai. There was no restaurant car, however during the journey, vendors boarded the train at various stations selling food and drinks. Some vendors carried ice boxes containing chilled cans of beer and soft drinks - service at your seat! Had similar service with Burma Railways travelling from Mandalay to Hsipaw (pre latest coup).

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

I got a tab once on the Bangkok to Chiang Mai service,it involved buying a couple of beers for the crew obviously and hitting the ATM in Chiang Mai train station as we pulled into the station?

They were all waving goodbye to me as I disembarked,a memorable journey only possible in Thailand and great Tom Yam also!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

on pre 2nd WW 2 trains

With respect, the carriages shown in the photographs were introduced by SRT from November 2016 onwards. All the diesel locomotives and multiple units (diesel rail cars) currently used on most passenger services are post WW2. 

10 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, back in those days when there were no budget airlines, I used to travel from either Chiang Mai or Lampang to Bangkok. I always headed to the restaurant car to enjoy what you mentioned above. Food from woks washed down with chilled Changs watching the scenery on the mountain section between Lamphun and Uttaradit - happy memories! 

I enjoy a leisurely rumble in the old train from Nakhon Pathom to Hua Hin, 3 hours of bone shattering happiness, with the window down and the roof fans spinning, every small station stop brings on a new local delight of some kind..

Who needs an air-conditioned express when you can have the nostalgia for free.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, herfiehandbag said:

You must be a time traveller?

The long awaited railway to C Rai is still after many years at the construction stage, perhaps your iced ale was to Chiang Mai. Only a Johnny WALKER can get to C Rai from Den Chai at present due to the old buffers and sleepers at SRT planning.

10 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

from Den Chai at present due to the old buffers and sleepers at SRT planning.

Yes that is the place..... the train dumped me there and I couldn't find out how to move on out of this middle of nowhere in the middle of the night!

On 12/7/2022 at 6:58 PM, DezLez said:

No cold beer now on Thai Railways unless they have rescinded the ban after the rape case a 13 YO girl in 2014!

Yes, killed by a drunk SRT employee with criminal record..... and dumped outside the railcard.

Now everybody pay for that with lack of proper food and beverage service

. It should be SRT that should have to pay  the family of the dead girl for all their life.

RIP little girl so sad.

10 hours ago, cnx355 said:

Yes, killed by a drunk SRT employee with criminal record..... and dumped outside the railcard.

We had a drunk off duty policeman waving his gun about  on one train journey I did.. and me keeping my head down as the only falang and I am sometimes a magnet for drunks to talk to. I love a few beers but on balance I suspect trains and stations should be dry....

On 12/8/2022 at 6:29 AM, hotchilli said:

I enjoy a leisurely rumble in the old train from Nakhon Pathom to Hua Hin, 3 hours of bone shattering happiness, with the window down and the roof fans spinning, every small station stop brings on a new local delight of some kind..

Who needs an air-conditioned express when you can have the nostalgia for free.

" 3 hours of bone shattering happiness".   

That's the big plus of traveling on the Japanese SHinkarnzen or Chinese fast trains etc. The ride is totally smooth, and comfortable too. All air conditioned, internet services and hours faster than previously on the ancient clickety  / clack trains.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

" 3 hours of bone shattering happiness".   

That's the big plus of traveling on the Japanese SHinkarnzen or Chinese fast trains etc. The ride is totally smooth, and comfortable too. All air conditioned, internet services and hours faster than previously on the ancient clickety  / clack trains.

I "think" you missed his point.