thai debit cards

Hi.Please move if this is the wrong forum.I've recently renewed 2 expired debit cards with Kasikorn and Krungthai banks but have noticed neither have the usual valid from date just the expiry date.This is a problem when this date is required eg on a UK passport renewal form and doubtless elsewhere.Anyone got experience of how to get around this?Thanks.

Valid from date is not an authorisation requirement for online transactions. Simply leave the box blank (or enter an earlier date). The expiry date is the required info, without which, the transaction cannot be processed. The valid from is not checked.

You may well find that address verification and 3DS is required by merchants now as we've had it rammed down our throats (at great redevelopment cost) by the card industry to protect them from losses (they say it's for protection of cardholders but in reality it's to save banks losses as they always had to reimbuse card fraud). Now with 3DS (or 2FA) it makes online card fraud extremely difficult. It is up to us as merchants to set parameters and "valid from date" is not an option.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Valid from date is not an authorisation requirement for online transactions. Simply leave the box blank (or enter an earlier date). The expiry date is the required info, without which, the transaction cannot be processed. The valid from is not checked.

You may well find that address verification and 3DS is required by merchants now as we've had it rammed down our throats (at great redevelopment cost) by the card industry to protect them from losses (they say it's for protection of cardholders but in reality it's to save banks losses as they always had to reimbuse card fraud). Now with 3DS (or 2FA) it makes online card fraud extremely difficult. It is up to us as merchants to set parameters and "valid from date" is not an option.

I wasn't thinking so much about online transactions as the UK passport renewal form which specifically asks for the valid from date presumably one could just leave it blank or enter an earlier date as you suggest.I wonder will UK banks follow suit and drop the valid from date?

17 minutes ago, chang50 said:

I wasn't thinking so much about online transactions as the UK passport renewal form which specifically asks for the valid from date presumably one could just leave it blank or enter an earlier date as you suggest.I wonder will UK banks follow suit and drop the valid from date?

As above, just leave it blank. Be aware though, that your Thai bank may block an overseas CNP (card not present) transaction. Do check with your bank first as there are many options for allowing or blocking certain types of transactions on cards.

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

As above, just leave it blank. Be aware though, that your Thai bank may block an overseas CNP (card not present) transaction. Do check with your bank first as there are many options for allowing or blocking certain types of transactions on cards.

Thanks I will check with my Thai bank first.