Beagle bag sniffers at Suvarnibhumi airport

kidneyw

Do you prefer clockwise haggis (Left legs longer than right legs) or anti-clockwise haggis (Right legs longer than left legs)?

Screenshot_20221208-004232_Chrome.jpg.c0e5de9aa67877b1a9251fba4288f1ff.jpg

My favorite, Macsween's of Edinburgh, as bought from the old shop in Bruntsfield, Neeps and Tatties, and a slug of Scottish gravy as celebrated on January 25th.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, blackshadow said:

IT IS ON A special palm tree that wears  a kilt around the trunk !!!

have seen a few near udon thani..........

Be careful. You'll trigger the wokerati as if they are never triggered enough. <deleted>.

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Because its rather tasty and people refer it to Thai beef

That goes without saying but you said "It isn't allowed to bring meat products into Thailand because they could contain animal diseases and spread those diseases.".

So how does Australian beef manage to enter Thailand unrestricted?

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That goes without saying but you said "It isn't allowed to bring meat products into Thailand because they could contain animal diseases and spread those diseases.".

I think that the imported meat is kept in quarantine for a while or other measures are taken to make sure there's no diseases 

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, steven100 said:

Your MATE may be fined and obviously denied entry if Thailand deems your mates actions risk potential disease to it's livestock and/or vegetable industry. 

"...and obviously denied entry..."

Very, very unlikely, banned products would be confiscated and maybe he'd be fined but he would not be denied entry.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:12 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

He should have added..."unless an import licence has been issued to the importer".

On 12/7/2022 at 5:52 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

There is also the consideration that you may bring animal or plant diseases into Thailand and that could be catastrophic for the farming industry and that is the reason why they have restrictions on bringing food into Thailand .

But, as long as you get your haggis , that's the most important thing 

The relatively recent spread of plant and animal diseases and just general weeds and insect pests is terrible.  Tens of thousands of years of evolution upset in no time flat.  Sucks.

• Like 1

There was an 'active' watch for pork products in arriving passengers checked baggage due to regional swine flu concerns. However, this latest blanket prohibition on imported food products is simply based on a tax (revenue) grab, that's all. Anyone quoting Australia and New Zealand's extremely strict border controls on plant and animal products as something that Thailand is simply following doesn't know their quokka from their koala.

Place haggis in freezer for 72-hours before travel. Within 6 hours of check-in, wrap haggis in double-layers of aluminum foil and place that inside two 'ziplok' plastic bags. Place in the middle of your checked baggage. On arrival in BKK, scratch the beagles ears as he wanders aimlessly past your bag on the carousel (they like that).

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 7:33 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

So why is 'AUSTRALIAN BLACK ANGUS WAGYU RUMP' on sale in Thailand?

They can import meat products if they have a permit from FDA. This is issued in Thailand only It given to certain exporters of meat from Australia who meet certain standards at the meat processing plant in Australia. None are issued to individuals. That is why it is illegal for passengers to import meat into Thailand 

On 12/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

..and the importer has been issued an import licence!

Australian meat can be obtained at practically every butcher shop / department here. If it comes to beef I rarely eat anything else.

But why is it so difficult to get a fresh turkey for which there might be quite some demand ? (It is not impossible - I know of a restaurant that sells it on special occasions, but I know only of this single one).

7 minutes ago, mackayae said:

US uncooked turkeys are banned since maybe 15 years. The US banned Thai tuna many years ago and Thailand then banned US poultry.

Politics then ? I ban your turkey, you ban my tuna and then I ban your chickens in return.

I do not want to talk to the turkey, its fine with me if it does come from somewhere else outside of the US. Might even be more healthy (antibiotics). I guess in Australia they must have plenty, too. Or in Sweden, South Africa, wherever....

22 hours ago, moogradod said:

why is it so difficult to get a fresh turkey for which there might be quite some demand ?

Not enough demand from the retail shops is my guess as only a few foreigners will be buying it and I doubt that there are that many who want the palaver of roasting a turkey. 

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not enough demand from the retail shops is my guess as only a few foreigners will be buying it and I doubt that there are that many who want the palaver of roasting a turkey. 

Around Thanksgiving the demand must be quite high given the number of cooked turkeys on display. But I do understand the hassle it takes to prepare one the traditional way. Depending on the size this takes many hours.

However, I would not roast them / bake them in the oven but cook in water. Then add mayoran and with a little bit of experience you will get a super delicious sauce. To be served with potato dumplings (easy to make yourself) plus some "Preisselbeeren" (available in Friendship). No, these are not the same as cranberries.