3,500 Bitcoin mining machines seized in raids in BKK and Nonthaburi

snoop1130

Unless run on Solar Power, one cannot make a profit mining bit coin. And with current prices, it is almost impossible. In the US, I have solar powered set up in Las Vegas and was mining LTC. I shut them down because of low prices. 

11 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

How much bitcoins did they mine?

Good question. Five million baht of electric is about 1200 bit coins at todays prices. That many machines, one point five bit coins per machine would be break evenish.

I wonder where that electricy would be today if it hadn't been used by thieves? Probably on someone's wrist, maybe, perhaps.

Edited by IAMHERE
Include weasel words for computer crimes act.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin told the media today (Wednesday) that this illegal operation had been in business for about two years and has cost the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) an estimated 500 million baht in lost revenues from alleged electricity theft over that time.

Two years?

It's almost exactly two years ago a pile of special visas were made available for a certain class of immigrants. ._._._._._._.

I wonder who signed off ($$$) on the container load of machines. ._._._._._.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

19 hours ago, Onerak said:

Unless run on Solar Power, one cannot make a profit mining bit coin. And with current prices, it is almost impossible. In the US, I have solar powered set up in Las Vegas and was mining LTC. I shut them down because of low prices. 

Their electricity was free, that's the point of the report, they were stealing the electricty.

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

You would think that the Electric Company might have guessed at something not quite right

Hard to tell when Street vendors couple up to the street lights in many locations. 

Edited by dallen52

On 12/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, IAMHERE said:

Good question. Five million baht of electric is about 1200 bit coins at todays prices. That many machines, one point five bit coins per machine would be break evenish.

I wonder where that electricy would be today if it hadn't been used by thieves? Probably on someone's wrist, maybe, perhaps.

In 2016/17 I was making about 350,000 a month in revenue and had an electric bill of around 130,000 THB. By the end of 2017 I was making around 140,000 and still had a 130k electric bill so I stopped. That was with a dozen ASIC miners that cost $1500 to $5000 each. Without exact figures it's hard to guess how much they made. They had at least $35 million USD invested just in hardware, maybe more. Even without paying for energy, it's unlikely they made out well in two years, with low BTC prices. Maybe they never even broke even.

• Thanks 1