Retiree and Used Car inspections in Bangkok?

Hello Everyone,

I am shopping for a used van. I have never purchased a vehicle in Thailand. Can a retiree put a used

vehicle in their name? Also, are there any mechanics or services that will inspect a used vehicle before

you purchase it? (to avoid buying a car with mechanical issues)? 

I plan on avoiding dealers and looking at individual sellers. Any comments on this?

Thanks

Edited by bangkokgalaxy

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

I bought of a dealer and got a warranty etc etc - the car lasted for 10 years.

You could get a freindly mechanic to check it out for you - then if he keeps having to fix it, he will lose face.

you can have the best check there is on a monday and the car then breaks/stops working on the tuesday. murphys law

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

you can have the best check there is on a monday and the car then breaks/stops working on the tuesday. murphys law

Cars aren't magic - an there's no such thing as Murphy's law - that's what it's about... if you or someone who knows what they are doing looks at a car, you can tell with remarkable certainty whats going to happen.

There are even manufacturers manuals or parts life etc.

If you buy off a dealer they may offer some form of warranty, if it's off a private vendor, you have no comeback from them; so it's a good idea to get a mechanic or better still an engineer to look at the vehicle.

Cars are the same all over the world, so are the sellers - some a e straight, some are dishonest. As an amateur buyer you need to protect yourself with a knowledge of cars and an ability to make some assessments of the person you are buying from. Many foreign buyers in Thailand have their chances spoiled by their own prejudices.... well no sympathy there - they just miss out on a good deal.