South African man arrested in Phuket with 196 days of overstay, claims he had no money to go back to his country

webfact

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Happens I guess when you blow all your money on hookers, beers and things that make life worthwhile !

You are right, he got no money to go home and as you say, he has money to spend it on hookers, beer, ect.  No sympathy from me.

• Like 1

I have a valid visa.  I read all these articles and wonder if I’m now overstaying….lol…..7 straight years no red stamps…..ok I’m ok the smart car won’t get me.   14 years ago I did overstay a week.   In 2023….I’ll go to immigration every day to confirm my status!

The problem is not about that african fella, but the idea that so-called "overstay" turn from mere 100THB/day fine into hardcore criminal offence many foreigners are not aware of.

As far as I noticed there are no "You gonna rot in IDC if you dare to stay longer in this Kingdom" banners, flyers etc. Meanwhile its says very clearly on Malaysian border they will hang you for a pack of weed (kinda).

However: by common sense overstaying is not THE criminal offence, but unfortunately it is in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Hmmm... not sure if it's him but on his Linkedin, he certainly has a peculiar writing style.

"My hobbies include traveling to new places, learning about new cultures, surfing, and camping with his many dogs. I enjoy the outdoors, the company of his family and being near water. Currently, I am busy building a farm withy wife in Chiang Rai, Thailand. I am is also currently working on finishing my book "Habitual Human" - The Updated Ape Man Study."

Hair and tattoos on his Linkedin and Instagram pages seem to match the arrest photo. 

If it is him he hopefully will update the profile to reflect the new situation. Perhaps like this: I am currently in a detention cell. My new friends are no dogs anymore but roaches. I am waiting for the deportation flight back home paid by the embassy. I will be not busy anymore with building a farm but with surviving in my home country. The title of my new book will be "The Loser". ????

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Its 500 baht per day. if you are on overstay and make it to the airport, its not a BIG problem, you get fined a maximum of 20, 000 baht and depending on the length of overstay can get banned, but you can get on your flight?

Its only if the police catch you, then its a BIG problem?

Right, if this guy had made it to the airport and paid 20,000, fine,  he would have been banned for a few years, but at least he would be a free man?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Hmmm... not sure if it's him but on his Linkedin, he certainly has a peculiar writing style.

"My hobbies include traveling to new places, learning about new cultures, surfing, and camping with his many dogs. I enjoy the outdoors, the company of his family and being near water. Currently, I am busy building a farm withy wife in Chiang Rai, Thailand. I am is also currently working on finishing my book "Habitual Human" - The Updated Ape Man Study."

Hair and tattoos on his Linkedin and Instagram pages seem to match the arrest photo. 

If he game on a Non B he could have easily got a job in a Language school or even a Thai School. He's young enough. They take anyone under 40 weather they can teach or not.

Is it really  so difficult?

Immigration know exactly who is on overstay or not.
They know when you came in and for how long your visa is valid.
They could update their datebase on a daily basis.
Check last address on file and if moved, there are always ways to find out where someone is. Is it by using a bank card, sim card etc.

Or, pay thais a reward to play "snitches" to turn in farangs. They will happy do this for a few thousand baht.

5 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Super creepy.  You obviously saw nothing on his Facebook , Twitter and Insta!  You search his old my space yet? 

Edited by alex8912
  • Haha 2