South African man arrested in Phuket with 196 days of overstay, claims he had no money to go back to his country

webfact

What don't understand how was he living here Thai free / no money to go home country ! Scams , thief , begging or friends other  option ! guess eating left over foods, sleep on  streets ? ????

Edited by Mad mick

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

The problem is not about that african fella, but the idea that so-called "overstay" turn from mere 100THB/day fine into hardcore criminal offence many foreigners are not aware of.

As far as I noticed there are no "You gonna rot in IDC if you dare to stay longer in this Kingdom" banners, flyers etc. Meanwhile its says very clearly on Malaysian border they will hang you for a pack of weed (kinda).

However: by common sense overstaying is not THE criminal offence, but unfortunately it is in Thailand. 

You got it all wrong here! Common sense at the end combined with the wrong information. Same above with the word "problem" and the phrase "foreigners are not aware of". I will make it understandable for you by spelling out the facts.

It´s a BIG problem, that foreigners are not aware of the laws and rules in a country the visit or reside in. That might be, because lack of common sense.

Edited by Gottfrid

5 hours ago, NativeBob said:

However: by common sense overstaying is not THE criminal offence, but unfortunately it is in Thailand. 

Try overstaying more than 90 days in Singapore and you will get 3 strokes of the cane as souvenir to bring home.

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/penalties-illegal-immigration-overstaying-singapore/#:~:text=Should you be guilty of,if you cannot be caned).

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Try overstaying more than 90 days in Singapore and you will get 3 strokes of the cane as souvenir to bring home.

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/penalties-illegal-immigration-overstaying-singapore/#:~:text=Should you be guilty of,if you cannot be caned).

And your point is? what-about-ism? 

Try to engage in ****** and you'll get ***** in %Contry-Name%

I condemn this barbaric rule to throw unfortunate folks into cells with criminal scum.Whatever their reason they don't deserve <deleted> holes like Bangkok IDC or that one at Surathani.

Making jokes and funny references about "overstayers" is fine until some of your close friends got into this mess. Everything turns into "big problem" - letter from Embassy, copies of whatever, food, money, tickets, relatives who refuse to comprehend "why so much money for completely innocent person".

Hell, real hell. And at the end - zero appreciation 'cos Bill from Pattaya could do it for 50% and almost immediately with his "connections".

Edited by NativeBob

8 hours ago, Onerak said:

Why would you go to his LinkedIn page to search him. Is he your friend?

He should blame those damned bars where he went to drink a beer and then surrounded by ladies and he spent all his money on some thing called "lady drinks" and one of the lady even wanted to go with him to his place. He though wow what a nice country where the bargirl takes him home and also sleep with him. He fell in love with Thailand. By the time he realized that the bar was in fact a brothel, it was too late and he did not have any money to go back home. 

Is that your CV?

4 hours ago, Ginner said:

If he game on a Non B he could have easily got a job in a Language school or even a Thai School. He's young enough. They take anyone under 40 weather they can teach or not.

Hope they didn't take you 'weather'!????

1 hour ago, NativeBob said:

And your point is? what-about-ism? 

Try to engage in ****** and you'll get ***** in %Contry-Name%

I condemn this barbaric rule to throw unfortunate folks into cells with criminal scum.Whatever their reason they don't deserve <deleted> holes like Bangkok IDC or that one at Surathani.

Making jokes and funny references about "overstayers" is fine until some of your close friends got into this mess. Everything turns into "big problem" - letter from Embassy, copies of whatever, food, money, tickets, relatives who refuse to comprehend "why so much money for completely innocent person".

Hell, real hell. And at the end - zero appreciation 'cos Bill from Pattaya could do it for 50% and almost immediately with his "connections".

I was stating a fact, not joking.  Then why are you still supporting and staying in this "barbaric" country? Or do you want to categorise overstayers into "good" overstayers and "bad" overstayers?

8 hours ago, Ginner said:

If he game on a Non B he could have easily got a job in a Language school or even a Thai School. He's young enough. They take anyone under 40 weather they can teach or not.

But he wanted to build a farm. Is being a farmer a job restricted to Thais? I don't know.

15 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

I have a valid visa.  I read all these articles and wonder if I’m now overstaying….lol…..7 straight years no red stamps…..ok I’m ok the smart car won’t get me.   14 years ago I did overstay a week.   In 2023….I’ll go to immigration every day to confirm my status!

Your post makes no sense.????

19 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Hmmm... not sure if it's him but on his Linkedin, he certainly has a peculiar writing style.

"My hobbies include traveling to new places, learning about new cultures, surfing, and camping with his many dogs. I enjoy the outdoors, the company of his family and being near water. Currently, I am busy building a farm withy wife in Chiang Rai, Thailand. I am is also currently working on finishing my book "Habitual Human" - The Updated Ape Man Study."

Hair and tattoos on his Linkedin and Instagram pages seem to match the arrest photo. 

How can this 30 old financially afford to stay so long abroad?