Crazy Traffic - Only going to get worse - Phuket going to be overrun

ESLTeacher1989

"Phuket going to be overrun"

OP, you sound like the British tabloid press!

The limiting factor for the forseeable future will be a lack of accommodation. Book into a high-rise hotel anywhere in Patong and look around you at the dozens of empty/mothballed/abandoned hotels. Walk along Rat-U-Tit or Nanai or around the area of 2-star hotels near Malin plaza - same thing.

Many will argue that Phuket was in decline before Covid and the pandemic was the last kick in the groin for many businesses. It will get busier over peak season and the traffic will get worse, but nowhere near the levels of pre-Covid.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I don't know about the rest of the island, but the traffic in the Cherngtalay area already seems to be busier than it ever was pre-covid.

Does anyone else agree, or am I losing it?

About the same - I do that run every day.

What is surprising is that the progressive re-opening of Patong Hill has not made any beneficial difference at all.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

"Phuket going to be overrun"

OP, you sound like the British tabloid press!

The limiting factor for the forseeable future will be a lack of accommodation. Book into a high-rise hotel anywhere in Patong and look around you at the dozens of empty/mothballed/abandoned hotels. Walk along Rat-U-Tit or Nanai or around the area of 2-star hotels near Malin plaza - same thing.

Many will argue that Phuket was in decline before Covid and the pandemic was the last kick in the groin for many businesses. It will get busier over peak season and the traffic will get worse, but nowhere near the levels of pre-Covid.

Oh, don't worry about a lack of accommodation in Patong. Just book a room in one of the many abandoned hotels and enjoy the lovely view of all the empty buildings around you. And if you're feeling adventurous, take a stroll down Rat-U-Tit or Nanai and marvel at all the empty hotels there too. But don't worry, things will definitely get better during peak season. I mean, traffic is already a nightmare, so it can only get worse, right? But hey, at least you'll have a roof over your head in one of the many abandoned hotels. Lucky you.

5 minutes ago, capcase said:

the traffic in phuket is terrible. it took more than 1 hour from old town to patong. this is so ridiculous, all roads are local with traffic lights. there is no highway in phuket at all. 

the transportation sucks. i waited more than 30 minutes for a grab and gave up.  around 300 baht for 15 minutes taxi.  bolt driver just cancelled my order. 

tour to phi phi & maya bay: people mountain, people sea. not a pleasant experience. 

patong walking street becomes pattaya, s*x tours

phuket is not a fun place for tour & live. bad impression in my first trip to phuket

Oh honey, don't cry over the traffic in Phuket. It's nothing compared to the gridlock in Bangkok. In fact, Phuket's traffic is practically non-existent in comparison. And don't even get me started on the transportation options in Phuket. Those Grab drivers are practically giving away free rides. You're so lucky to have experienced the joys of Phuket traffic. You should consider yourself lucky to have had the opportunity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, goloeilmanz said:

Oh honey, don't cry over the traffic in Phuket. It's nothing compared to the gridlock in Bangkok. In fact, Phuket's traffic is practically non-existent in comparison. And don't even get me started on the transportation options in Phuket. Those Grab drivers are practically giving away free rides. You're so lucky to have experienced the joys of Phuket traffic. You should consider yourself lucky to have had the opportunity.

bangkok has bts and mrt. you do not have other options in phuket 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, macahoom said:

I don't know about the rest of the island, but the traffic in the Cherngtalay area already seems to be busier than it ever was pre-covid.

Does anyone else agree, or am I losing it?

Yes, I think you're reporting accurately ... its way busier than for years thats for sure. I try to chose carefully what times I drive across to the other side of the island and this seems to help a tad with the road mania e.g to play at Mission Hills I/we book only for first tee times and leave super early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Living here and learning the patterns of traffic and 'peak times' helps us negotiate the roads with little problems. I'm retired now so I have switched to Thai time and simply call if I'll be late for some arranged time thing, and simply sabai sabai the traffic away. Sitting in my uber-comfy SUV with the aircon, some good tunes, or listening to the latest Facebook favourite news feeds I have makes the time go along just fine. 

Edited by Tropposurfer

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Phuket stopped being on my list of places to go in LOS about 25 years ago, because it isn't worth it when so many far, far better places in LOS.

Anyone goes there should not complain as the problems have been known for decades.

I suppose it's quite good if the horde goes there though, as it means they aren't ruining somewhere else.

I wouldn’t say there are so many better places that would fit the criteria pertaining to Phuket. Ko Lanta was one I favoured in recent years which had the beaches/snorkeling/swimming and some of the necessary facilities as well as being on the better Andaman side. The east coast /Gulf falls down in many respects on that count. I can do without the seedier side or plethora of bars but you need some facilities which the more remote islands lack.

id be interested in your views of what specifically you feel are the obvious alternatives.

I did discover Phuket almost 40 years ago ( even dived in the Similans) so understand /agree with those feelings about the deterioration ,especially in the last decade or two. I last visited in March (Karon) when it was much quieter (I thought Lanta would be dead) and enjoyed it more than of recent times..to which it may be returning??

I live there for more than 10 years but escape more than 10 years ago, just only for the rampant construction and a bunch of tourism, already with a lot of Russians.

And I remember that time there were already people who complained about the crowds and rampant construction.

There is no one from above who says stop up to here and no further apparently.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, London Lowf said:

About the same - I do that run every day.

What is surprising is that the progressive re-opening of Patong Hill has not made any beneficial difference at all.

There will be a reduction in traffic volume as the number of  'brakes failed' during hill descent mounts up.

I first went to Phuket in 1983.  It was wonderful!  A lot changed in the next 10 years and it slowly descended into what it is today.  I haven't been back since 2003 and really don't have a lot of desire to return.  I imagine though that there are some other nice places on the island away from the Patong area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I imagine though that there are some other nice places on the island away from the Patong area.

This. Patong is great for the nightlife, if that's your thing, but it's not a relaxing place to stay - the longest I do these days is an overnight.

• Like 2

Getting things in perspective, this afternoon I made a journey to take a friend to the airport.   I left my home in Chalong at 3 p.m., picking her up in Cape Panwa at 3.30 p.m. (I was early but some time loading the car).   Left Cape Panwa at 3.30 p.m. through Wichit to Chaofa West and the underpasses on the Bypass, the inevitable tail back of traffic with the Koh Kaeow junctions on Thepkassatri and Heroines, but still got to the International Departures terminal by 16.30.  Some goodbyes and a chat at the airport, and a small shopping stop on the way home, and I was still back in my house in Chalong by 6 p.m.   All this in what is 'peak' travelling time for schools and work.   No big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I wouldn’t say there are so many better places that would fit the criteria pertaining to Phuket. Ko Lanta was one I favoured in recent years which had the beaches/snorkeling/swimming and some of the necessary facilities as well as being on the better Andaman side. The east coast /Gulf falls down in many respects on that count. I can do without the seedier side or plethora of bars but you need some facilities which the more remote islands lack.

id be interested in your views of what specifically you feel are the obvious alternatives.

I did discover Phuket almost 40 years ago ( even dived in the Similans) so understand /agree with those feelings about the deterioration ,especially in the last decade or two. I last visited in March (Karon) when it was much quieter (I thought Lanta would be dead) and enjoyed it more than of recent times..to which it may be returning??

OK.

For bars, night life, city life, malls etc Pattaya was better ( I can't say if in last couple decades it's as good as, as last visit was after tsunami ), better beaches on Lanta, Railay and even Phangan.

I knew Phuket well last century as went to Patong to find a temporary GF to go to Phi Phi with. Back in the 90s Phi Phi really was paradise, but it got ruined by too many tourists, so that was no longer an option. After that I went to Pattaya to find the beach GF and went direct to whichever beach I chose, whether east or west coast. I'd occasionally stay in Phuket town a night while catching a bus back to Bkk, and I did stay overnight to visit Fantasea Show ( very average beach there ).

One of the main reasons for not going to Patong was the taxi mafia, and no equivalent of Pattaya's 10 baht baht bus service. They didn't even have a coastal bus service, and had to go all the way into Phuket old town to go a different beach for a look. I once walked from Patong to Karon, but never again.

In the end though, Phuket just didn't have what it takes to make me want to stay there, to make the effort. Pattaya was a short bus ride from Bkk, and had everything, so why bother with an overnight bus trip to see the same things?

17 hours ago, gravity101 said:

That's as quick as its ever been. Its easy to moan about traffic, probably the same people that would moan if there wasn't modern conveniences, places to work, modern schools, water parks, malls etc. You have to expect crowds, you can't have one without the other. If you don't like that lifestyle, move to the countryside or an island with a bamboo shack and little else.

or an island with a bamboo shack and little else.

Seriously? Never been to north east Phangan or west coast of Lanta Yai? Nice life style and I doubt a bamboo shack to be seen.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK.

For bars, night life, city life, malls etc Pattaya was better ( I can't say if in last couple decades it's as good as, as last visit was after tsunami ), better beaches on Lanta, Railay and even Phangan.

I knew Phuket well last century as went to Patong to find a temporary GF to go to Phi Phi with. Back in the 90s Phi Phi really was paradise, but it got ruined by too many tourists, so that was no longer an option. After that I went to Pattaya to find the beach GF and went direct to whichever beach I chose, whether east or west coast. I'd occasionally stay in Phuket town a night while catching a bus back to Bkk, and I did stay overnight to visit Fantasea Show ( very average beach there ).

One of the main reasons for not going to Patong was the taxi mafia, and no equivalent of Pattaya's 10 baht baht bus service. They didn't even have a coastal bus service, and had to go all the way into Phuket old town to go a different beach for a look. I once walked from Patong to Karon, but never again.

In the end though, Phuket just didn't have what it takes to make me want to stay there, to make the effort. Pattaya was a short bus ride from Bkk, and had everything, so why bother with an overnight bus trip to see the same things?

Pattaya?! As a swimmer/snorkeller (or most else) the very bottom of the list for where I’d want to go. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK.

Sure. You knew Phuket well because you went to Patong last century.

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Why do so many people come onto the Phuket forums when they are not interested in the place and just want to bad-mouth it?

I ride a scooter - no need for taxis - and taking everything into consideration, Phuket is as close to perfect as any place that I've ever been (and can afford!).

Indeed, for a tourist virtually every type of vacation available, from the hedonistic to being a hermit.   Yes, if you want to get around the island, your own transport is preferable.   As regards actually living here, I've not found anywhere in Thailand that ticks as many boxes in terms of facilities, restaurants, shopping, airport, beaches etc.   Even those who say it's expensive.   I find my shopping the same cost as anywhere else in Thailand, and the range of goods available equalled only by Bangkok.   Sure, go to the west coast tourist centres and prices are going to be high for F&B, that due to the rents businesses have to pay.   Elsewhere on the island, not so.   Here's the price list for beers of a beach bar in a pleasant beach area of southern Phuket.

20221118_113853.jpg

20221118_125848.jpg

• Like 1