Can Foreigners Win And Collect Lottery Prize?

yim noi

If I played the lottery and won several million baht, can I collect the prize?

Also, can anyone who has played, give advice on the different kinds of lottery. I am a bit confused when they seem to be making up the prices for the tickets.

Yes you can receive the prize, but I have often heard it said that you should always get a Thai to collect any large prize for you.

Good luck, I would suggest that the Thai you get to collect your winnings is securely attached to you by a long chain, just in case.

Yes you can receive the prize, but I have often heard it said that you should always get a Thai to collect any large prize for you.

Good luck, I would suggest that the Thai you get to collect your winnings is securely attached to you by a long chain, just in case.

I'd get my wife's mom to do it. I trust her completely, because she totally loves me.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you want to play for the meager 3 million bath ??

Better play online on european or american lotteries then. Here in Belgium the minimal price is 1 mil euro twice a week with average prize jackpot's hangin between 1,5 and 2 mil.

The ticket cost only twice what is asked in thailand.

I would call thai lottery a scam

It is no problem to collect the money, the problem start when you want to transfer the money out of Thailand.

Not a real problem here. Just place it on deposit, and get the bank to issue you with and international ATM card. I can draw up to 40,000 a day on my card, and that's well over a quarter of a million baht a week. Wouldn't take too long to drain the account at that rate. Of course it would be extra nice if I had a few million to draw on :o However, I do use mine a lot when overseas, and it's good for EFTPOS transactions as well.

Every so often there are competitions in The Bangkok Post. Now you would think a few of their readers would be western yet l don't think l've ever seen a list of prize winners that contained a non Thai sounding name. :D

One competition last year had some expensive prizes and had about a dozen winners every week for a month but not one western name published in the winners list. Don't believe me, then keep an eye out the next time they print some results.

Don't westerners in Thailand ever enter competitions? Are they too busy buying lottery tickets maybe? :o

I'd get my wife's mom to do it. I trust her completely, because she totally loves me.

Don't westerners in Thailand ever enter competitions? Are they too busy buying lottery tickets maybe?

Theres your answer mate :o

• 7 years later...

Perhaps 8 years ago a Thai lottery official was convicted of rigging the draw. H

He worked out a way to fool the big plastic bubbles, floating balls etc etc, and get a set of specific numbers to come out.

Edited by scorecard

I think its a scam , no foreigners are allowed to win.

It took you many years to prepare this epic piece of work eh?

My nephew won, he's a Brit. In fact the lucky git has won on the legal lottery and the other one that we probably aren't allowed to mention.

I won 5,000 baht once,so my lady told me when i went with her to collect it she was a bit shifty and said to me to wait around the corner because not good for farang to get the money? i said ok and then walked right up to her when the lady give her 10.000 baht mad.gif classic Thailand hit and i loved it......especially when she started acting that she could not believe we had won double what she thought!!! yeah right! whistling.gif i said no problem great and gave her the 2.500 baht biggrin.gif tip!

I won 4000 Baht. 2,000 per ticket and I had 2 tickets. You put your name on the back and cash them in. A friend took me down in case of any difficulties but there were none.

OK I believe you . But why cant they , the lottery office , give us the names of the big winners?

Officially its to protect their identity, so who won 2 mill baht last month ? I try to google but so far no names have been published since the lottery started in 1939.

Maybe the winners are all Thai officials :rolleyes:

Edited by balo

I won 4000 Baht. 2,000 per ticket and I had 2 tickets. You put your name on the back and cash them in. A friend took me down in case of any difficulties but there were none.

OK I believe you . But why cant they , the lottery office , give us the names of the big winners?

Officially its to protect their identity, so who won 2 mill baht last month ? I try to google but so far no names have been published since the lottery started in 1939.

Maybe the winners are all Thai officials :rolleyes:

Probably the Minister of Transport

When they were doing Thaksin's 3 number one to try get rid of the mafia one. A guy in La-Un won. So he goes to collect. The seller hadn't handed his stub in. A lawyer took up his cause, and he won far more than the prize would have been. That is why the mafia lottery is so popular, the sellers are in the community, and word soon get's around if they don't cough up.