Desktop Build - Recommendations CM

wimpy

1 hour ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

So what do you need that space for?

I didn't say or think most people need the space of a big tower case. In fact, most users don't need it.

But it seems for many users size and weight equal power.

If they received a big heavy computer, they don't even have to switch it on to be convinced it's a very powerful machine. Really. 

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't say or think most people need the space of a big tower case. In fact, most users don't need it.

But it seems for many users size and weight equal power.

If they received a big heavy computer, they don't even have to switch it on to be convinced it's a very powerful machine. Really. 

I think the realities of living in Thailand impact case/form factor choices.  Many members here live in smaller condo/apartment units where space is at a premium.  A tower unit usually requires a dedicated computer workspace in a fixed location.  Mini-computers like NUCs and monitors are easy to put on small portable desks or stands which are easier to tuck away when not in use.. With the rise of video streaming,  NUCs can also fit comfortably close to the TV, negating the need for long HDMI cables running across floors.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I think the realities of living in Thailand impact case/form factor choices.  Many members here live in smaller condo/apartment units where space is at a premium.

When I started living in Thailand, I had a 40 something sqm apartment, and several big PCs. Let's put the priorities in the correct order! ???? 

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, clokwise said:

but I suppose 10+ years is quite long

I remember the time when you needed at least 3 new PCs within 10 years to be at least 1/2 up to date...

386, 486, Pentium...

And let's not forget the Voodoo card (with 4MB RAM) - which nobody I knew could afford at that time.

voodoo1canopusfb.jpg