Unrequested application (pdf) for Bahtnet in my Android download folder

Does anybody have an unrequested download for Bahtnet-Applications (same as a request to transfer money - a blank .pdf form) from a well reputed bank on his Android phone ? It is a blank .pdf document and in the download folder of "own files". Apart from the authentic looking document incl. regulations in Thai language there is nothing apart from an AD at the bottom of the screen which I did of course not touch. I do not have any electronic banking.

But it did seem to come actually from my bank. How this is possible without my interaction is beyond my understanding. It is not possible to download something to an internal folder of my mobile phone without transfer via email or sms - right ?? Some days ago I have made an internal money transfer to another account of the same bank - in person at the counter. Of course they know my telephone number at my bank, but that's it.

I did not get any SMS for any unknown transfers from my account which is always the case if there are any movements on the account. Still this seems fishy to me. Of course I will ask the bank in person but can only do so this coming Sunday.

Did anybody has had the same or even worse - did anybody interact with the displayed AD and can report if something happened ?

Edited by moogradod

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Its easy to unknowingly download a PDF file. For example if you are searching for something on google and click on a site this is sometimes a direct link to a PDF file instead. That will in turn be downloaded into your files. This has happened to me many times. Check your browsing history and see if this is what you have done. I doubt if its anything suspicious, just something you have done. 

Thank you for answering. The procedure you describe must be part of the (mostly unknown to myself) environment of mobile devices. The file was on an iPAD. But no website ever succeeds in installing a file in my secure desktop environment which I have not initiated or agreed to. Thats why I got confused.

That is why I love this mobile world so much ???? But thinking of it twice, any even malicious download would have had no serious consequences - no mobile device of mine has any banking application on it, nor passwords, nor password manager or any other really important information. Any intruder could only take pleasure and surf through my contacts list or have a look at my latest holiday pictures. All of which I care little.

And yes - you may actually be right. The chance is low but I could have accessed the homepage of my bank for informational purposes even from a mobile device which triggered this download to the file system of that mobile device. No chance for my ultra secure desktop installation.

• Thumbs Up 1