Having A Baby In Thai Hospital

RueFang

forethat I am in Rangsit, things are better now that a neighbour recommended a clinic nearby

inthepink ............. start worrying about when baby arrives ........... seriously, read the thread I wrote yesterday

I recommend you join babycenter birth clubs

www.babycenter.com and mothering.com and a few other pediatric sites like Dr Greene

congrats , when are you guys due ?

• 3 months later...

We're expecting our little boy around 6-9 Sept. First 7-8 months we were in Bangkok and my wife was followed by Dr. Linda from Nonthavej Hospital. A good doctor that scold my wife for not being careful since she was diagnoses with a gestational diabetes on her 5th month pregnancy. Staffs at Nonthavej were very professional and do smile every time with a very top notch service.

We are now in Songkhla, and my in laws like Songkhlanagarind Hospital a lot. The doctor was polite enough but the staffs were very harsh and don't display proper manner. Speaking of a professional job, I wanted to make a complaint against them. Let me share one of the so many bad experiences from Songkhlanagarind:

My wife even requested gently "please, can you please give me the blanket." for a 30mins "stress test". And the nurse replied back with a tone "Why can't you take it yourself? Just turn and take it, should not that difficult."

However, many people are recommending Songkhlanagarind Hospital but I remain skeptical due to their staffs.

• 8 months later...

I'm just posting a quick update following the request of David48 :)

We did not go to Songkhlanagarind hospital in the end as the staffs were not showing care at all.

We went to Bangkok Hatyai Hospital instead. The service there was really impressing. After having her c-section done, there were 2 nurses checking on her every 30 minutes, for the first 8 hours. And then 1hr for the next 12 hours, and every 2-3 hours for 2-3 days.

The staffs are polite, and always have a bright smile on their face no matter how many times you call upon them.

Even months after the delivery, the staffs would call once a month or two asking if the baby is fine, and offer a lot of advice.

Total cost = 54,000 THB (room, room service, surgery, doctor fee, nurse fee, etc).

I find it rather cheap compared to Government Hospital where you pay almost the same amount but with different level of services.

I like both Nonthavej (Bangkok), and Bangkok Hatyai (Hat Yai).

Regarding pediatric service, we have chosen Sikarin hospital over Bangkok Hatyai. They offer the same service except that the vaccines are much cheaper.

Cheers! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My gf is having baby in appx two months in Chumphon Town Hospital (gov't hospital, and the biggest one here in the town). Up until now everything has been free for her (she has basic medical coverage at all thai gov't hospitals), but she came up to me and said that it might cost 5,000 baht to have a natural birth. While she admitted that her first child was free, I think the gf was hinting with her pigeon English at making sure we got some type of good service. She just mentioned today she was speaking to someone nearby at market who had baby recently and they said they paid 4,000 baht or so. She did not ask if that included xx number of days stay at hospital. So my basic question are:

1a) Does it cost extra for a birth (this is our first, but her second child)? What is the fee breakdown and what does it include? This is a 100% natural birth. (we do not want to induce or unnecessary c-section)

1b) Is this bill over the table, or do I slide something extra to the doctor under the table?

2) If private rooms are available, should I take it?

I want to get an idea of what to expect. I'm ok with tiered service, and I'm willing to pay a little extra for some piece of mind.

Should I bring anything besides my passport? No one seems to have addressed the paperwork aspect of the certificate of live birth.

• 2 weeks later...

@4evermaat:

Welcome to the world of parenthood :)

Regarding private rooms, I would strongly recommend booking one unless you would want to find yourself sleeping on the floor close to your wife's bed with 20-30 patients.

And I must say that you can't be sure it'll be 100% natual birth as it depends if the vagina is dilated or not, and on many other factors. So keep a good sum in hand as you'll never know.

So you have to consider many things. The govt hospital in Hat Yai quoted us nearly 30,000baht for 3 days of stay, but we didn't choose them for the obvious reasons stated before. We chose Bangkok Hatyai with nearly a 60,000 quote. There are also cheaper package that range from 30,000 to 40,000. I must say that there's a huge difference in quality of service compared to govt hospital. At Bangkok Hatyai, you'll have English speaking staffs (though not fluent but at least they understand your every requests). I've been to govt hospital, and none the staffs could understand and speak English. Can you believe that?

Regarding the fees, we were lucky to have an arrangement with my wife's doctor and Bangkok Hatyai. We paid the doctor 10,000baht directly, and there was a considerable reduction in the hospital fees.

You'll have to bring in your passport, your wife's home book and ID card. Usually the hospital will take care of the registration process for you. A copy of your front page, your visas, and your extension if you're on it, and the immigration card that you filled out and got stamped on the first day you entered the Kingdom will suffice.

• 3 weeks later...

Can make a insurance for a girlfriend thai who is pregnant of 6 months already ? or too late..

I fear about the high cost of birth if had some complications.

I need to get some advice what the best solution.

We plan to give birth at Bangkok Christian Hospital, they're nice ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had a good experience with BNH Hospital in Bangkok. My husband is also Thai, I am Australian, and I've found that they always talk to me directly in English, and then explain anything further to my husband in Thai. The only thing I suggest is that you ask to spend time with your baby after the birth (they like to take the babies away into the nursery for a few hours) and also insist on breastmilk over formula (if that is your preference). Also, could I suggest that you join our Facebook page BKK Kids. It's not for profit, just something I started to help other parents in Bangkok. You can post any comments or suggestions and get other people involved in helping you select a hospital.

Hi, I had a good experience with BNH Hospital in Bangkok. My husband is also Thai, I am Australian, and I've found that they always talk to me directly in English, and then explain anything further to my husband in Thai. The only thing I suggest is that you ask to spend time with your baby after the birth (they like to take the babies away into the nursery for a few hours) and also insist on breastmilk over formula (if that is your preference). Also, could I suggest that you join our Facebook page BKK Kids. It's not for profit, just something I started to help other parents in Bangkok. You can post any comments or suggestions and get other people involved in helping you select a hospital.

My wife insisted that we wanted to breastfeed after a natural birth (on saturday just gone), but they did not listen and stuck him on the bottle. She tried again when they brought him back to us, but he was have difficulty taking it, but my wife persevered and all was good.... The following day however he had Jaundice, and we were told he had to stay in the nursery under photolight treatment, and my wife was sent home and not allowed to stay with him... In the mean time they fed him the bottle and my wife has now been as I see it ROBBED of being a natural mother...... I really don't care what the thais do to their bodies(most have cesaerians and bottle feed), but my wife is now distraught as our baby will not take her breast....

I think it is unethical to do this

My wife insisted that we wanted to breastfeed after a natural birth (on saturday just gone), but they did not listen and stuck him on the bottle. She tried again when they brought him back to us, but he was have difficulty taking it, but my wife persevered and all was good.... The following day however he had Jaundice, and we were told he had to stay in the nursery under photolight treatment, and my wife was sent home and not allowed to stay with him... In the mean time they fed him the bottle and my wife has now been as I see it ROBBED of being a natural mother...... I really don't care what the thais do to their bodies(most have cesaerians and bottle feed), but my wife is now distraught as our baby will not take her breast....

Sorry to hear about the issues with breastfeeding. I was in a similar situation with my oldest-- he had trouble latching and was jaundiced. In my situation, there was one nurse who was helpful and came to get me when he was hungry so I could breastfeed. When she went home for the day, I just went down to the nursery where they had my son and sat in a chair next to his little bed (I never did figure out why they couldn't bring the little bed and light up to my room...).

For your own situation now, with your son having gotten bottles against your wishes, there are still some good breastfeeding resources available in Thailand that I recommnend you get in touch with to help get him back to the breast. It won't be easy, but it is certainly possible if your wife is committed to doing everything she can to re-establish a breastfeeding relationship.

There is a Lactation Clinic at Samitivej hospital (the only one in Thailand, I believe). Sorry, I didn't see where you are in Thailand, but if you can go to the hospital, you can make an appointment and meet with a certified lactation consultant at the clinic. In the short-term, you can contact the breastfeeding hotline at anytime, from anywhere in Thailand.

Contact info for the Samitivej clinic:

"If you have any problems breastfeeding and need further advice, please contact:

The Lactation Clinic – open Tues, Wed 9am-12am at the Well-baby Clinic, 2nd Floor, and Building 2. Telephone (+66) 2 711 8238

Or Breastfeeding Help line: (+66) 2 7118345 (these’s 24/7)"

You can also get in touch with the Bangkok chapter of La Leche League. Contact info for them is here. They do phone and online support (anywhere in Thailand), as well as in-home consultations in BKK (all free of charge).

HTH

Edited by Niranut

Sorry to hear about the issues with breastfeeding. I was in a similar situation with my oldest-- he had trouble latching and was jaundiced. In my situation, there was one nurse who was helpful and came to get me when he was hungry so I could breastfeed. When she went home for the day, I just went down to the nursery where they had my son and sat in a chair next to his little bed (I never did figure out why they couldn't bring the little bed and light up to my room...).

For your own situation now, with your son having gotten bottles against your wishes, there are still some good breastfeeding resources available in Thailand that I recommnend you get in touch with to help get him back to the breast. It won't be easy, but it is certainly possible if your wife is committed to doing everything she can to re-establish a breastfeeding relationship.

There is a Lactation Clinic at Samitivej hospital (the only one in Thailand, I believe). Sorry, I didn't see where you are in Thailand, but if you can go to the hospital, you can make an appointment and meet with a certified lactation consultant at the clinic. In the short-term, you can contact the breastfeeding hotline at anytime, from anywhere in Thailand.

Contact info for the Samitivej clinic:

"If you have any problems breastfeeding and need further advice, please contact:

The Lactation Clinic – open Tues, Wed 9am-12am at the Well-baby Clinic, 2nd Floor, and Building 2. Telephone (+66) 2 711 8238

Or Breastfeeding Help line: (+66) 2 7118345 (these’s 24/7)"

You can also get in touch with the Bangkok chapter of La Leche League. Contact info for them is here. They do phone and online support (anywhere in Thailand), as well as in-home consultations in BKK (all free of charge).

HTH

Wow.. thanks for the info.. will look into this

• 4 months later...

Hi,

My gf is 3 months pregnant and I was wondering if anyone has any experiences of the Rayong hospitals, I've read both good and bad about the Bangkok Hospital Rayong. We're going to start looking at the various options in Rayong so any personal experiences would be appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

does anyone know anything about having a baby in Pai (mae hong sons) government hospital? It is quite a small hospital so i'm not sure what would happen in case of emergency (C-section) or anything like that, as it is still at least 3 hours from chiang mai hospitals. and does anyone know if there is a set price (with a natural birth, all going to plan) for foreigners at all government hospitals or are they all different? (I am not thai but my partner is). We are currently in my home country for the time being but will be returning before December when our baby is due.

Thank you!

Hi there,

does anyone know anything about having a baby in Pai (mae hong sons) government hospital? It is quite a small hospital so i'm not sure what would happen in case of emergency (C-section) or anything like that, as it is still at least 3 hours from chiang mai hospitals. and does anyone know if there is a set price (with a natural birth, all going to plan) for foreigners at all government hospitals or are they all different? (I am not thai but my partner is). We are currently in my home country for the time being but will be returning before December when our baby is due.

Thank you!

You wife is the patient, and she is Thai, so there shouldn't be any double pricing. It'll be a set price, plus any extra expenses for anything out of the ordinary. If you want a response on Pai specifically, you might want to ask the question in one of the local threads.

My gf is having baby in appx two months in Chumphon Town Hospital (gov't hospital, and the biggest one here in the town). Up until now everything has been free for her (she has basic medical coverage at all thai gov't hospitals), but she came up to me and said that it might cost 5,000 baht to have a natural birth. While she admitted that her first child was free, I think the gf was hinting with her pigeon English at making sure we got some type of good service. She just mentioned today she was speaking to someone nearby at market who had baby recently and they said they paid 4,000 baht or so. She did not ask if that included xx number of days stay at hospital. So my basic question are:

1a) Does it cost extra for a birth (this is our first, but her second child)? What is the fee breakdown and what does it include? This is a 100% natural birth. (we do not want to induce or unnecessary c-section)

1b) Is this bill over the table, or do I slide something extra to the doctor under the table?

2) If private rooms are available, should I take it?

I want to get an idea of what to expect. I'm ok with tiered service, and I'm willing to pay a little extra for some piece of mind.

Should I bring anything besides my passport? No one seems to have addressed the paperwork aspect of the certificate of live birth.

1a) government hospital is free, apart from optional vitamin supplements, c-section is free, but rarely used in gh.

1b) no doctor will be in attendance at gh, birth is supervised by nurse/midwife, unless serious complications arise when the duty doctor will attend.

2) private rooms are approx 1,000bht per night at gh, usually 3 nights for a birth. Directly after birth they are wheeled out to the ward/private room. She won't be taken to the private room until you can show the receipt for payment for the private room from the hospital cashier.

You will not be allowed in the ward during birth, it's a women only area in a gh. After dark you aren't normally allowed in the maternity building.

In the public ward you will not be allowed to stay by the bed, visiting times only. In the private room a friend or relative is expected to be present in the room at all times (else you aren't allowed in a private room). No bribes are needed for anyone at any time in the process.

No paperwork is required from you, she is your gf, so you don't really count legally.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

1a) government hospital is free, apart from optional vitamin supplements, c-section is free, but rarely used in gh.

1b) no doctor will be in attendance at gh, birth is supervised by nurse/midwife, unless serious complications arise when the duty doctor will attend.

2) private rooms are approx 1,000bht per night at gh, usually 3 nights for a birth. Directly after birth they are wheeled out to the ward/private room. She won't be taken to the private room until you can show the receipt for payment for the private room from the hospital cashier.

You will not be allowed in the ward during birth, it's a women only area in a gh. After dark you aren't normally allowed in the maternity building.

In the public ward you will not be allowed to stay by the bed, visiting times only. In the private room a friend or relative is expected to be present in the room at all times (else you aren't allowed in a private room). No bribes are needed for anyone at any time in the process.

No paperwork is required from you, she is your gf, so you don't really count legally.

Mostly true, except that we didn't pay for the private room until we checked out. Before they release the baby, they require the cashier paid form. And you also need to do a run to the tess-e-baan (city hall or records office) to issue the birth certificate. The birth certificate will have the thai national ID number that will be used to get the gov't hospital fees waived. Apparently, you can pay upfront and then get reimbursed when you bring back the certificate, but I didn't trust that. The tesseban was a 3 min scooter ride and took about 30 minutes for them to issue it, 20 min spent getting the thai pronunciation and spelling correct for the english name.

Also, they do allow visitors to stay in the public area of the maternity ward post birth. They would sleep on the floor next to the mother, or on the balcony. Some were outside the doors, which are locked around 9-10 pm. There didn't seem to be any designated visitor hours persay. YMMV depending on the hospital.

The entire experience was summarized in a separate thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/623207-having-a-baby-at-chumphon-hospital/

Hi there,

Thank you!

You state partner.

Are you married?

If not, your partner will not be the legal father of the child when the child is born.

No Thai ID number will issued and you will have to pay everything yourself.

• 10 months later...

Late reply as I've just joined the site but we used Chulalongkorn (sp) and it was a good experience. 12,000 baht for the private room, birth, nursing, food and aftercare for three days. I wasn't allowed to be present for the birth but, to be honest, I didn't really want to be (although I wish I had known this beforehand).

The prenatal visits cost between 500 and 1,000 baht depending on what their purpose was and we were treated with respect, care and professionalism throughout.

We wanted a natural birth and there was no pressure whatsoever to take the c-section route at all from any of the hospital staff.

The only negatives were that the ultrascan technician let slip the baby's sex when I had asked not to be told and the head nurse, a 1950's throwback if ever there was, told my wife during delivery that if she didn't stop screaming the baby would come out green.

This may be true.

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with their partners (or themselves) giving birth in Phuket or Hat Yai? I am currently in Bangkok and going to a private hospital (very expensive...) which I like. However, I will probably either be moving to Phuket or Hat Yai in the near future to be closer to my husbands family (he is Thai).

Has anyone had any experience with Mission Hospital in Phuket? How does it compare to Bangkok Phuket Hospital? How about hospitals in Hat Yai...any recommendations? I would prefer to go with a doctor/hospital that is more open to natural birth.

Thanks!

I heard gov hospital for Thais only free and that village or place of birth

In my case got some wrong X-ray diagnostic with unsharp unclear exray pictures from gov hospital everything ok after check again at home in eu land nothing was okay with my shoulder after bike crash

In my case never visit a gov hospital here again!

• 7 months later...

My thai wife is pregnant and lives in Chiang Rai what are the costs of the babies delivery? ...

That totally depends on the hospital you choose, (A government hospital is of course cheaper than a private hospital) and secondly on any complications that might present itself.