Having A Baby In Thai Hospital

RueFang

My wife is having our baby in the local government hospital. Unfortunately if she needs a c-section we will need to travel 120km to the nearest city and a main hospital. I tried to convince my wife to stay in the city for a few weeks but she is against this. She had her scan yesterday and they reckon it will be a normal delivery so hopefully no problems.

I am glad I found this thread as it has been very informative.

• 2 weeks later...

HI

I have just found out I am pregnant - although it was planned still a bit of a shock!

My husband and I had already planned to travel to Australia via Asia and now we are thinking of maybe traveling and stopping off in Thailand to have our baby and then continue on to Australia a month later.

Initially we thought of doing this in Chang Mai, but my doctor suggested against that due to Malaria - so then we thought Koh Samui or Bangkok a friend had one in Bangkok, but we prefer the idea of the beaches in Koh Samui for recovery time together. Does anyone have any insight into Koh Samui hospitals/ facilities or can they recommend a baby doctor/ midwifes there?

Thanks

x

HI

I have just found out I am pregnant - although it was planned still a bit of a shock!

My husband and I had already planned to travel to Australia via Asia and now we are thinking of maybe traveling and stopping off in Thailand to have our baby and then continue on to Australia a month later.

Initially we thought of doing this in Chang Mai, but my doctor suggested against that due to Malaria - so then we thought Koh Samui or Bangkok a friend had one in Bangkok, but we prefer the idea of the beaches in Koh Samui for recovery time together. Does anyone have any insight into Koh Samui hospitals/ facilities or can they recommend a baby doctor/ midwifes there?

Thanks

x

Airlines won't accept you on flights past 6 monts (some 7 months) of pregnancy. That would mean, you will have to have some visa (tourist is valid for 30 days) to stay 3-4 months.

Unless you are backpacking while expecting a baby, rental of a reasonable place at Samui could cost you considerable money at "out of control" developing Samui.

I see no advantage whatsoever of coming to Thailand to deliver. Good facilities won't be cheap (in our case 5,000A$ for cesarean and 3 days in hospital) + all the prenatal care.

Give me any free public hospital in Australia over any, even most expensive, hospital in Thailand.

Wow...30 grand for all that! Is that because she's Thai do you think? I hear a lot of stories about hospital fees being quite expensive for the birthing package (3 days + procedure, etc) . Anyone else have any prices for comparison?

Bangkok International Hospital Phuket - 25,000 baht. Nice room, 4 days, 3 nights, a sofa bed for me (the father) and the doctor, Dr. Kittipat was fantastic! This was a "promotion" price at the time.

HI

Thanks

x

Airlines won't accept you on flights past 6 monts (some 7 months) of pregnancy. That would mean, you will have to have some visa (tourist is valid for 30 days) to stay 3-4 months.

Unless you are backpacking while expecting a baby, rental of a reasonable place at Samui could cost you considerable money at "out of control" developing Samui.

I see no advantage whatsoever of coming to Thailand to deliver. Good facilities won't be cheap (in our case 5,000A$ for cesarean and 3 days in hospital) + all the prenatal care.

Give me any free public hospital in Australia over any, even most expensive, hospital in Thailand.

I'll have to disagree with you here :o

Having my daughter here in Thailand, including all the visits before i fell pregnant, to pre-natal care until now - I can positively say that the hospitals (International ones like the the Bumrungrad anyway) are by far superior to ones in Australia. I have many family and friends there who have many children during the past 10 years (majority being in private and top public hospitals in WA) and after many discussions about this subject, I would never have a child in Australia.

As for the costs, even at the Bumrungrad - it was much cheaper having the baby here than what I would've paid in Aus.

Just one mothers experience of a child born in thailand compared to many family & friends in aus who've had children born there :D

Quinn, if you're based in Asia (Thailand) - I see no point in travelling back to Aus just to have a bub. My own personal experience of pregnancy and birthing here in Thailand (at the Bumrungrad) was nothing but pure joy. If you can find a wonderful doc and hospital here - you should have no worries or problems regarding your pregnancy and finally the birth.

Good Luck and enjoy your pregnancy :D

Di

I'll have to disagree with you here :o

Having my daughter here in Thailand, including all the visits before i fell pregnant, to pre-natal care until now - I can positively say that the hospitals (International ones like the the Bumrungrad anyway) are by far superior to ones in Australia. I have many family and friends there who have many children during the past 10 years (majority being in private and top public hospitals in WA) and after many discussions about this subject, I would never have a child in Australia.

As for the costs, even at the Bumrungrad - it was much cheaper having the baby here than what I would've paid in Aus.

Just one mothers experience of a child born in thailand compared to many family & friends in aus who've had children born there :D

Quinn, if you're based in Asia (Thailand) - I see no point in travelling back to Aus just to have a bub. My own personal experience of pregnancy and birthing here in Thailand (at the Bumrungrad) was nothing but pure joy. If you can find a wonderful doc and hospital here - you should have no worries or problems regarding your pregnancy and finally the birth.

Good Luck and enjoy your pregnancy :D

Di

Thanks for that! I felt from what i had read on here and from friends that Thailand did have great hospitals and loads cheaper than Australia as you have said.

I am not based in asia yet but we will be traveling around in asia from me being 5 mths, so we felt it would be a great place to stay for the last month of pregnancy and first month with our baby and take it easy. Instead of rushing around in Australia trying to find a house and what not.

Do you have a doctor that you can suggest to me. As we are really keen to go with a recommendation rather than pot luck. The hopsital you mentioned has been noted on here quite a few times, we were actually hoping to possibly stay in Koh Samui, but if the hospitals don't measure up to a good standard we will stay in bangkok - do you know anything about the hospitals and doctors in Koh Samui by any chance?

Thanks again for your words.

Quinn.icon4.gif

Thanks for that! I felt from what i had read on here and from friends that Thailand did have great hospitals and loads cheaper than Australia as you have said.

I am not based in asia yet but we will be traveling around in asia from me being 5 mths, so we felt it would be a great place to stay for the last month of pregnancy and first month with our baby and take it easy. Instead of rushing around in Australia trying to find a house and what not.

Do you have a doctor that you can suggest to me. As we are really keen to go with a recommendation rather than pot luck. The hopsital you mentioned has been noted on here quite a few times, we were actually hoping to possibly stay in Koh Samui, but if the hospitals don't measure up to a good standard we will stay in bangkok - do you know anything about the hospitals and doctors in Koh Samui by any chance?

Quinn.icon4.gif

Quinn.icon4.gif

Think the basics first: do you have some ground to stay in Thai for 3 months + ?

Then you can shop around.

Again - another guy. But with hopefully some useful info for you.

We're in BKK, and went to a private hospital (PM if you want all details), where the Male DR said 'baby has a big head. Probably needs a c-section."

"sure" said I..."so he can go golfing on time" ..he he..

We went to Samitivej Hosp. the one that has UNICEF plastered all over the sign..and the Dr there said 'no problem the baby's head not too big' . whe then asked to be shown the maternity ward but were told impossible as there had been a "Death on the ward" that morning!! (NOPE...READ ON)..

That Dr didn't seem right to my wife OR me..AND SHE chose to go back to the other guy who agreed to try a normal birth. IT GETS MORE interesting...here....The first Dr, after 8 hours of labour and full dilation, said "I'm sorry, but the water has been broken for some time now and there's been no movement. We now need to do an emergency C section...which of course was done, and my wife was sedated and unable to see the birth.

MORAL? If you like the guy, go with it. That Doctor has since delivered our second child - no UNICEF endoresement so what!. Don't get sucked in by the natural-birth nazis...ok maybe if parents are farang-farang (also hate the bambi site..the women there seemed positively hostile to farang-thai marriages - and even turned down a request to post some critical info in Thai language - HELLO!! This is THAI-land! Oh and my Thai wife breast fed for 8 months each kid..ok "Sheila" or whomever?).

Edited by thaigene2

Please!!!

Need an advice!!!

I live in Pattaya. Going to give a birth to a baby, looking for a hospital, and don't want to go to the local hospitals ( I consider them as " money- making - machine- with- no- service ", that's my private opinion!!!!) what do you think about maternity in Phyathai Hospital Siracha?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Emaraldina

• 3 weeks later...

My 18 month old daughter was born in Thailand. She was my first child and I did not really know what to expect. I live in Rayong with my Thai husband and at first we went to the local government hospital. This I would not recommend. It was a novelty to have a western women pregnant and I was stared and pointed at which made having examinations very unconfortable, especially as the door was a curtain. So we decided to go to Rayong-Bangkok hospital. What a contrast. I was made to feel so comfortable, I was showed around the hosptila rooms, birthing suite, nursery and introduced to all the staff. My doctor was great, and explained everything in detail. The scan I had was ver high tech (not like at the local hospital - which could not have detected any problems). I was given a choice of birth plan, where you can decide in advance what kind of birth you want. I decided on a natural birth, unfortunatly during my labour my daughters heart stopped so I had to have an emergency c-section. Although this was scary the staff were great. After I was given 3 days stay to recover, my daughter was brought up to my room by the nurses but taken back to the nursery when I needed some rest. So this gave me time to get strong and mobile again. My husband was allowed to sleep at the hospital with me and all my friends and co-workers could visit anytime. The hospital took care of registering my daughters birth and gettimg her birth certificate. If I was to have another baby I would definately go here again. THe service and facilities are much nicer than any NHS hospital in the UK. The cost, even though not much was definately worth it.

Hi All,

Does anyone have any feedback/experience they might share about the Samitiviej Srinakarin hospital for births? Its also a children's hospital, which would seem like a great benefit. Bumrungrad is out of the question as we live out East of the city & he reckons I'll go into labour during rush hour :o

Thanks for any info!

Has anybody had experience with St. Louis Hospital? Dr. Petcharat specifically.

My wife is seven months along. We started going to St. Louis just because it was close and doctors/hospitals seem like such a crap shoot anyway. Dr. Petcharat seems ok, but also reports that she and St. Louis are at 50% cesarean. She asked if I thought that was high? (Feeling me out to see if I'd p(l)ay along?) We informed her that we'd prefer natural, and she said we would try that first. I think it's fair to say that it's a coin flip if we go with her, but who knows, maybe she's strongly committed to both respecting our wishes and to keeping our hospital bills down.

Wife started to get significant Braxton Hicks action yesterday (no dilation), so really want to get the doctor question locked up soon.

Actually, now we're in Daokanong. St. Louis is still not far (except during rush hour), but we're still open to change (obviously). Does anybody have recommendations for the Daokanong area? (Realize this is a long shot, have only seen three farang in the two months we've been waaaaay over here on this side of the river.)

Got into this page by chance and enchanted in return. My wife is now 3 month pregnant; so we need to make our decision now as to where to go to for her care and delivery. To this end, we would really appreciate the info on such places and names of the doctors in the Chiang Mai area to which we have just relocated.

As we both are Thai, you may think that it would be easy for us to find this information. However, we have found that people around where we live (relatively rural) do not share the same ideas and concerns with us compared to several people from this group who appear to have more comprehensive info on this matter. In short, as newcomers to this area, we need a bit of the insider’s information on this whole business in Chiang Mai, the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all!

Khun Chanchao, VitalGirl, etc etc please help……

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, WhiskeyGirl, you will have plenty of time to get to a hospital if it's your first labor, which is typically 8 hrs, so you shd rate proximity below finding a doctor you're comfortable with.

The hospital my daughter was born is is much further away than Bumrungrad than from where you are, and I traveled from Romklao -- nearby the new airport -- when there was no motorway, ring road or Sri Nakarin expressway to nearby Victory Monument in Sukapiban 3/Ramkhamhaeng Rd morning traffic. For perspective, keep in mind that child birth is not a sickness or surgical procedure.

On venues, government hospitals can be better or worse than private, you can't lump them all on one side or the other.

I was told when six weeks pregnant by the head obstetrician at Rama 9 hospital that I'd need a cesarean because my husband is tall. We were standing in the lobby, no examination needed.

I ended up having a normal delivery with no intervention, not even drugs, at Phra Mongkut Klao Hospital (King Mongkut), the military hospital nearby Victory Monument. I was able to present a birth plan, had a private delivery room with favorite music set up, shower room, and husband present to deliver massage, encouragement and witness the arrival of his child.

Afterwards, I was wheeled to a private aircon room and had excellent post natal care and support for the next couple of days. I didn't have a TV, could've hired one but I didn't want one. There was a phone, altho I used my own cell.

My Thai wasn't brilliant, but that was no impediment. Really, there's not a lot to say when you're delivering. All up, the bill came to about 12,000 baht (the point being it's a lot cheaper than private), altho cost wasn't the main criteria.

By contrast, I wouldn't go near another government hospital, Chulalongkorn, with a barge pole. Its delivery rooms run like conveyor belts and you have absolutely NO say on anything at all. That, of course, might work if you're worried about communicating because you won't need to.

I'm a childbirth educator and a doula (labor assistant). I've lived in Bangkok for 6 yr now and know quite a bit about the main international hospitals, birthing options, doctors, etc.. It's very hard to the get the birth you want like you'd have at "home", especially here. PM me if you need info on a specific doctor or policies at a hospital.

Aparently the Bangkok Samui Hospital does birthing packages. Previously you only had the option of using Nathon Hospital, which I have heard good things about.

To the people who say that the hospital they used in LOS had better facilities & care than a UK hospital, have to ask, how many babies have you had in the UK??? I had one this year & I can tell you, the care, facitilies & midwifiry care was exceptional. Don't know how it compares to thai hospitals as I never had a baby in one but please don't diss the NHS unless you have actual first hand knowledge of it :o

Aparently the Bangkok Samui Hospital does birthing packages. Previously you only had the option of using Nathon Hospital, which I have heard good things about.

Amazing. Even one of our mods has no a faintest idea what is happening to others.

Expensive hospitals treat Thais like <deleted>, if there is a male farang involved.

My wife fled the Samitivej due to bad treatment. There was nothing technically wrong, just the hospital staff's attitude.

2 days after the C-section (that they induced, I could not negotiate, nobody could) she was out, her own will, just not to see their staff again.

She had 2 more days paid for. She did not want to stay there. Her sister who was in attendance (there was a private room for them) , had to go to the street and buy food.

Despised and hated Isaan faces they were. In that great hospital. Not that the hospital did a bad job - the baby is up and running, in good health.

Edited by think_too_mut

Amazing. Even one of our mods has no a faintest idea what is happening to others.

Expensive hospitals treat Thais like <deleted>, if there is a male farang involved.

My wife fled the Samitivej due to bad treatment. There was nothing technically wrong, just the hospital staff's attitude.

2 days after the C-section (that they induced, I could not negotiate, nobody could) she was out, her own will, just not to see their staff again.

She had 2 more days paid for. She did not want to stay there. Her sister who was in attendance (there was a private room for them) , had to go to the street and buy food.

Despised and hated Isaan faces they were. In that great hospital. Not that the hospital did a bad job - the baby is up and running, in good health.

While not denying your experience (and nor is it suprising) I don't think sweeping generalisations are fair either. We had nothing but a great experience at the same hospital, and had nothing forced upon us, and neither have many friends, black, white, brown red or purple.

Neither should mods be fountains of knowledge on all things, unless it is yours truely, where I always win pub quiz useless knowledge rounds.

I think people should realise that prices have sky rocketed in recent times and there are significant rip offs in place nowadays. how do I know ? Well I was on the attempted receiving end of one in Pattaya 3 months ago.

To cut a very long story short, get someone in Thai to get a quotation which covers everything. If opting for a natural birth, find out the extra costs of a caesarian. Isolate costs of the staff there if you want to.

They may try and rip you off with another bill for the child or increase the costs of the caesarian but remember, if you have a caesarian then there are some things you don't have which would be included in the normal birth package and thus you are due a "rebate".

remember it is a business and treat it like a car service. You want quality but you want it at a fair price.

• 1 month later...
First of all, giving birth isn't exactly state of the art medical science. Most women give birth in the city where they happen to live, unless it's really a deserted island.

Where do you live? I live in Chiang Mai where there's many fine hospitals of course.

I would recommend you doing check-ups at/with the same doctor who will be doing the delivery, then you can make it known early to not pull that crap of speaking Thai when there's a Thai person present (your husband).

Can give a recommendation for Chiang Mai, but let's hear where you live then people can perhaps recommend a doctor / clinic / hospital.

Could you please refer me to a good Obgyn in Chaing Mai? Just found out I am pregnant.

Thank you- Lulu

• 3 weeks later...

hi,i had my Daughter at Vejthani hospital,Bangkok, the doctor was fantastic,asked if i could speak thai,i said no,i want everything in English :o he spoke to me first in English,then to my other half inThai.

At the birth he spoke English ,only took me 5 hours!

the staff where slightly odd,suppose they didnt get many farang women in there!

3 days/2 nights

32,000 and i had a normal birth,just a bit of pethadine to help me along!

i now live near Phattalung,im in Ron Phi Boon[god knows why!!!]

i feel for you,i wouldnt have another child down here,no way,i have only just found an English speaking doc for my Daughter[shes 12 months]

i had another doc before,who could speak English,but she decided she didnt want to talk to me,just the thais..............

i really hope you find someone,and if you do,let me know!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry another male posting in this forum.

Just wanted to put in a good word for Vichaiyut Hospital located along Rama 6 Rd., a special mention for Dr. Phiboon. Our son is now ten months old and is in excellent health.

My wife is Thai and myself being an expat, I was pleasantly surprised at how our doctor was so sympathetic to the language barrier by switching languages without prompting and having the patience to explain things over and over again and in great detail. This being our first child, we were pretty clueless and it was a godsend to have a doctor that was very experienced and possessed a fatherly disposition.

From the time we first found out my wife was pregnant (12-weeks) till a month after she gave birth (post-natal check-up), we were constantly at the hospital receiving excellent care and attention. We felt that it was the entire family (myself included) that was getting the care and support from the hospital.

All told, including all the tests and check-ups over the pregnancy term, the ultrasound, the additional supplements, the actual delivery and a 4-day stay at the hospital, we ended up with a bill for approximately 85,000 THB.

My wife's entire experience was perfect, so much so that she sometimes asks me to drive by the hospital because she misses her doctor and the staff.

Just sharing. Hopefully someone will find this useful. :o

— Möe

• 2 weeks later...
Wow...30 grand for all that! Is that because she's Thai do you think? I hear a lot of stories about hospital fees being quite expensive for the birthing package (3 days + procedure, etc) . Anyone else have any prices for comparison?

My wife is Thai cost 10'000bht £150.00 sterling she had C section was in for one week 08/08/07 no problems Chaiyaphum Hospital. Hope you find good Dr+ Hospital good luck for the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My biggest concern was how up to date and knowledgable our doctor was, and how into medical intervention they were oh and english speaking was a must.

I had been to see a doctor who did not speak excellent english and i left in tears (was pregnant though!) due to miscommunication(and didn't go back). I am also really concerned about the level of knowledge - eg i went to see doc (ob/gyn but not my normal doctor or hospital) the other day about breast feeding infection and his recommendation was to stop breastfeeding which by all account is the worst thing you can do - it just stopped me in my tracks - i couldn't believe waht i was hearing.

Anyway no matter where you are in the world you want to be able to go to a hospital where you feel safe, not at the mercy of a doctor or nurses and feel you can have a say in what happens. So i would shop around for a doctor that you feel really comfortable with - to me that it the most importnat thing and believe me when you are about to pop out a baby it matters alot! Moebius is right to point out specific doc not just hospitals becuase as I amsure you know you can have a range at any hospital (anywhere in the world).

FYI I had our baby at Samitivej and it was 70000Baht for natural birth (does not include check ups etc). I know this is alot but I can tell we had an excellent experience and thoroughly recommend it. the nurses were excellent our doctor was excellent and they are very conservative in the use of medical intervention but have everything at hand in case. i think this also made it much easier to have a natural birth - it was all very safe feeling. our Dr was Dr Sankiat - he is great but every practically every expat goes to see him - there is a woman doc there who is also very good sorry can't remember name.

Anyway hope all goes well with trying!

• 2 weeks later...
Bt70,000 for natural birth is a joke. I doubt its even that much as Bumingexpensiveograd !

Well if that is the money it takes (for those women who do need to give birth in a hospital)

to have the priviledge of having a natural birth without interventions, then one should be glad that the option is still offered today in hospitals where it is reported that some doctors did never let a natural birth progess without interventions in their entire career[1] and with c-section rates of up to 90%!

If I had to give birth in a hospital then I would much prefer to pay a hospital 70k to allow me to spend all the time I needed in their rooms and to allow me to take the time of their staff, the time it takes for a natural labour to progress, in order to have a natural birth without the risks of being induced, having labour artificially sped up for the convenience of the staff, doctor and their timing, without being drugged and induced which itself leads to 'failure to progress' which will then allow the doctor to talk me into a c-section, an abdominal surgery with all it's risks and disadvantages, just so that they can charge me more, process me, and get me out of there as soon as possible to make space for the next customer.

If a natural birth would be more expensive than a c-section at least many women might be able to avoid the trauma of being talked into a completely unneccessary c-section for the convenience and profit of the hospital. I would even go as far as suggesting to women who can afford it to offer doctor and staff bonuses if a natural drug and intervention free delivery is achieved, more than they would earn if they charged for a c-section.

With the situation in Thailand the safest and healthiest option in my opinion would be to stay at home or at least spend the time to educate oneself about homebirth and unassisted childbirth, read as much as possible and be aware of the fact that birth does not need to take place in a hospital and that it is a natural process that women are capable of carrying out without assistance and usually with a much better experience and outcome than with people interfering.

• Like 1

I agree with the above two comments regarding what is best for the mother but my comment regarding the amount was based upon the fact that the price for delivery in Thai hospitals, certainly in Bangkok and Pattaya, is purely down to how much the doctors think the family can pay. Whereas there should be a scale of charges, there is not and nearly every instance reported here and elsewhere comes in with a different figure for the basic delivery. Profiteering is the name of the game.

Whether Bt70,000 was or is a fair price is not the issue, the issue is that the price is lower and only ramped up when they think they can get away with it.