Permanent Resident: To Be Or Not To Be

From Corporate Counselor, Bangkok Post

Permanent resident: To be or not to be

Similar to typical "how to" questions such as how to buy a house or condo or how to set up a business, how to acquire Permanent Resident status has become a question frequently asked by foreign visitors and expatriates working and living in Thailand. While some have been told that a Permanent Resident (PR) permit is readily available to buyers of condominium units, others have learned that getting one requires commitment and time.

Why is PR status desirable? First of all, since it is an immigration status granted to foreigners who qualify and are approved to become residents of Thailand, the main benefit of having a PR is that the holder would no longer need a visa to enter and stay in Thailand. To some, this means relief from the burden of maintaining and renewing a one-year visa, which is becoming a more challenging process.

((edit))

Link here http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/29Jun2007_biz45.php

A waiting period of many months before the announcement of results is common.

This sentence is so amusing, particularly for those who have actually endured the wait. For some, the many months became many years, particularly for some who lodged their applications between 1999 and 2004. The article says nothing new. I still believe that Camerata's thread on the subject is rather definitive.

Edited by TheChiefJustice

Very informative, yes.

I've read the very good personal account by camerata on this but I'm interested in one specific issue. Just how much weight does the Thai language aspect of this matter. I'll be competing three years of Non-immi B visas and work permits in October. I've paid significantly more than the income tax requirement but I'd probably fail on the Thai language issue. I can have a simple conversation with a waiter or taxi driver, I can understand about 20% on the Thai news, but I don't kid myself . . I'm probably nowhere near up to scratch.

Just how much weight does the Thai language aspect of this matter. I'll be competing three years of Non-immi B visas and work permits in October. I've paid significantly more than the income tax requirement but I'd probably fail on the Thai language issue. I can have a simple conversation with a waiter or taxi driver, I can understand about 20% on the Thai news, but I don't kid myself . . I'm probably nowhere near up to scratch.

The official line from Room 301 is that one must pass the Thai language portion of the application process, which I believe includes a multiple choice test and a video introduction of yourself, in order to be successful. However, I am aware of several people who have obtained PR without much Thai language capability at all. In my view, if you present yourself well, come across as a decent person, have paid the requisite taxes, and meet all of the other conditions, the fact that your Thai language capabilities are weak will not be a problem.

In my view, if you present yourself well, come across as a decent person, have paid the requisite taxes, and meet all of the other conditions, the fact that your Thai language capabilities are weak will not be a problem.

Present well . . . . . . . . . . . .... . . . . :D

Have paid requisite taxes . . . . . . . . . :D

Meet other conditions . . . . . . . .. . . . :D

Decent person . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :o

D'oohhhhhhh!