Need water heater with dc pump

ola33

15 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Then you should not install a pump, because germs etc. might enter the pipes.

You are partially correct, it is illegal to pump-off the main supply, although completely ignored in Thailand and using a small dc pump combined with a water heater wouldn't cause any concern. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ola33 said:

I get the same water from the water pipes as everyone in Pattaya.

And if you use a pump to suck in the water, then you don't only get the water, but through small leaks in the pipes you might also suck in germs etc. and contaminate your water

Then you, or possibly your neighbors who then also have the contaminated water might get sick from it

Never install a pump if you don't have a tank

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, FriendlyFarang said:

And if you use a pump to suck in the water, then you don't only get the water, but through small leaks in the pipes you might also suck in germs etc. and contaminate your water

Then you, or possibly your neighbors who then also have the contaminated water might get sick from it

Never install a pump if you don't have a tank

I don't want to argue but a weak dc pump probably can't do much

• Thanks 1

Why do you specifically need a DC pump?

I've certainly seen heaters with boost pumps on sale in Malaysia but not here. Maybe check out the Malay version of Lazada?

EDIT How about one of these to use with your conventional heater?? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/shamjina-dc-24v-boost-shower-i4256753832-s16853102480.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've certainly seen heaters with boost pumps on sale in Malaysia but not here. Maybe check out the Malay version of Lazada?

All the boost pump and Jet Pump I've seen have all been DC pumps

Same thing different name

Edited by ola33

2 minutes ago, ola33 said:

Thanks for the tip, but I would like to have a pump built into the water heater

Lazada Malaysia - https://www.lazada.com.my/products/pemanas-air-brand-joven-sb11p-instant-hot-water-heater-instant-heat-turbo-boost-ac-pump-white-i2386327692-s10266907472.html

No idea if they will ship internationally, you will need to ask.

Several decades ago water heaters with built in pumps were available here but suspect they have been made illegal to sell as they seemed to go off market shortly after becoming available (and pumping directly from water lines is not allowed).  They required a special hose/spray.  We had one upcountry but never worked that great from reports and home went to normal tank/pump supply.  As an alternative the new flat/round shower heads do make water seem to be at higher pressure and are dirt cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/shower-bath-shower-head-i1835274610-s5544098197.html

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I believe it is just another name for a (Panasonic) Jet Pump. Which may not actually be a Jet Pump. Just called that. 

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

A shower heater only provides about 6l a minute. I hardly think that will produce any negative pressure in, say, a  1" supply pipe running at the minimum 1 PSI.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, ola33 said:

I have low water pressure so I need a water heater 4500w with dc pump

As has been commented you do not need a DC pump AC pumps start from about 1.000

17 hours ago, ola33 said:

No, live in an apartment

You need a tank, sucking from the mains is against PWA rules and is dangerous to you and your neighbours.

I don't want to argue but a weak dc pump probably can't do much

Yet you are arguing! Any pump sucking from the mains is not permitted.

16 hours ago, ola33 said:

Thanks for the tip, but I would like to have a pump built into the water heater

No such range of pumps are available in Thailand except imported one’s, probably stoped by regulations from the PWA/MWA

All the boost pump and Jet Pump I've seen have all been DC pumps

Jet pumps are for well use, and you can’t have been using the correct search terms as there are many, possibly hundreds, of AC boost pumps and jet pumps. 

virtually any domestic pump can act as a boost pump. They are only not a boost pump if the water source is lower than the pump. 

Few pumps are specifically listed as boot pumps as it is obvious from the description of the water supply system that that is what they are.

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:
17 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

A shower heater only provides about 6l a minute. I hardly think that will produce any negative pressure in, say, a  1" supply pipe running at the minimum 1 PSI.

It doesn’t matter what your opinion is or if it is correct because the PWA rules, possibly even law, prohibits sucking from the pipes, these rules are in place for excellent reasons and are anything but arbitrary.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

these rules are in place for excellent reasons and are anything but arbitrary.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.  Douglas Bader.

Edited by VocalNeal

3 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If the pump increases the pressure on the outlet, there has to be a negative pressure on the inlet.

No. Not if the potential water supply to the shower heater is greater than the shower head flow. A 1" pipe under gravity will supply 16 gpm (3/4 pipe 11 gpm) and the shower unit requires a minimum of 1 psi of positive pressure to operate.

20 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What abosulte nonsense.  Are you 12 and posting from you mum's basement?

OP just install a check valve upstream from the pump to eliminate the issue raised by @FriendlyFarang.  They sell for less than 100 baht on Shopee/Lazada.

9 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You could couple one with a LPG gas water heater so you could have red hot water even if you only have 12v supply.

You are aware of how many people died in Thailand due to such point of use heaters?  LPG almost never used anymore as just too much danger if not vented properly and people close windows during cold season.  If you are talking remote water heaters as used in other countries that would require redo of plumbing in most homes and a space to install (as homes do not have basements here).

44 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If the pump increases the pressure on the outlet, there has to be a negative pressure on the inlet.

A lot of you guys are not thinking this through or maybe not thinking just reacting. May I explain for the technically challenged????

Many houses in Thailand have shower heaters. If you turn off the water supply to the house and open the valve to the shower heater it will not switch on. Why?  The shower heater requires positive pressure in the supply line before it switches on. If the shower heater in question has a booster pump to give an adequate flow at the shower head, it still requires a positive pressure at the inlet before it will switch on.. Thus the pressure in the line supplying the shower heater must always be positive, about 1 psi. There is no suction taking place so there will be no potential for ingress of germs into the supply pipe.

31 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

What abosulte nonsense.  Are you 12 and posting from you mum's basement?

OP just install a check valve upstream from the pump to eliminate the issue raised by @FriendlyFarang.  They sell for less than 100 baht on Shopee/Lazada.

Maybe you are?

I will use a picture to explain it to the mentally challenged people here.

w.jpg.8993b9728406eb08b6b126059272fd80.jpg

Let's say that this is your neighbor and the water in your area is turned off or has very low pressure.

His ass-wipe-bucket is only half full, he opens the valve, so it fills up when water pressure is restored. Actually many people even keep the valve slightly open all day long.
Now imagine what happens when you use a pump that sucks water in, but the municipal water supply isn't sufficient.... where will the water come from? Like a long straw, right into your neighbors bucket.

If you don't mind using your neighbors ass-wipe-bucket-water for showering, brushing your teeth or washing your vegetables then that's up to you.

But you sucking this water in the pipes might also affect other neighbors.

Attaching a pump that sucks water in to anything other than your own water tank is highly anti-social and there is a reason it's not allowed. If I'd see any neighbor doing this I would definitely report it, I don't want to wash my mouth with feces.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are aware of how many people died in Thailand due to such point of use heaters?  LPG almost never used anymore as just too much danger if not vented properly and people close windows during cold season.  If you are talking remote water heaters as used in other countries that would require redo of plumbing in most homes and a space to install (as homes do not have basements here).

Yes proper installation is important.  Not just with water heaters.  How many people die in Thailand each year because of bad electrical wiring.  OP needs to supply more information, if the apartment has a balcony then LPG unit could go in there...especially if it is a Thai style condo where all the Thais are cooking on the balcony anyway.

12 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Maybe you are?

Let's say that this is your neighbor and the water in your area is turned off or has very low pressure.

His ass-wipe-bucket is only half full, he opens the valve, so it fills up when water pressure is restored. Actually many people even keep the valve slightly open all day long.
Now imagine what happens when you use a pump that sucks water in, but the municipal water supply isn't sufficient.... where will the water come from? Like a long straw, right into your neighbors bucket.

If you don't mind using your neighbors ass-wipe-bucket-water for showering, brushing your teeth or washing your vegetables then that's up to you.

Attaching a pump that sucks water in to anything other than your own water tank is highly anti-social and there is a reason it's not allowed. If I'd see any neighbor doing this I would definitely report it, I don't want to wash my mouth with feces.

12 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Maybe you are?

Sigh....  Google check valve and then yell up the basement stairs for mummy to bring you down some milk and cookies....

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh....  Google check valve and then yell up the basement stairs for mummy to bring you down some milk and cookies....

Yes but if in the example shown the neighbour doesn't have a check valve. ????

You are in an apartment, which floor?

Per 10 meter of height, there is a loss of 1 bar of pump pressure.

Also diameter of pipes, how smooth they are inside, bends, elbows, valves, effects resistance and there for flow and pressure. 

Ever asked landlord or building manager to raise the capacity of the water pump? if they have? Maybe in time there were made more connections, effecting waterflow and pressure.

They didnt think about capacity of pump or the pump is going down.

I say this, as once i saw a apartment complex which had their own waterpumps.   

You cant have more flow, if there is no water delivered on the intake of a pump.

You can have more pressure (boosterpump), but not more flow.

If the pump is too big in demanding (inlet) it can create vacuum in inlet pipes, causing pipes to break. They arent ment for vacuum. Very good reason for a PWA to forbid connecting pumps. You want to get a bill for caused damage? Even big, like 4" pipes can crack on a little vacuum.

If they dont have then all is depending on PWA supply of waterpump and they forgot to raise capacity of their pump? More connections, but same pump is not going to work. So leaving you and others with less flow and pressure. Or their pump is going down.

A heater of 4500 W isnt going to improve waterflow, as you stated in your statement.

It is only heating water. Mind having the proper wiring and safety devices then.

Otherwise you could have some red glowing wires, causing you some more problems.