Blast from the Past - 60's, 70's, 80's,90's Music (2023)

CharlieH

11 minutes ago, bannork said:

Reckon they copied The Stranglers verse 

That's well possible as the sound is very similar.

But the subject matter is way different.

it was all about shock back then.

And Gary Gilmores execution by firing squad was a big deal 

back then. 

Adverts capitalized on that event. and the subsequent use of his eyes for transplant patients.

( not 100% sure the eyes thing, was true )

Both very good bans. but the stranglers were way more successful and still are.

12 minutes ago, quake said:

That's well possible as the sound is very similar.

But the subject matter is way different.

it was all about shock back then.

And Gary Gilmores execution by firing squad was a big deal 

back then. 

Adverts capitalized on that event. and the subsequent use of his eyes for transplant patients.

( not 100% sure the eyes thing, was true )

Both very good bans. but the stranglers were way more successful and still are.

Yes, I remember at the time, Gary Gilmore insisted on his execution. He said if ever released again, he would kill for sure.. Yet the murder that got him the death sentence was pointless if I remember right. He shot the garage cashier/ owner, I forget, during a robbery 

Absolutely no need.

I've misunderstood the lyrics here since the song was released. Only hearing the first line, 'Looking Through Gary Gilmore's Eyes', I always thought it was about his execution, and his wondering if in fact it was the right thing to do. 

If I remember right, his relatives, him and some prison officials partied the night before, including booze.

I've just learnt it's about the donation of his eyes!

There's a few documentaries about him 

Thank God guns are hard to come by in the UK 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, bannork said:

Yes, I remember at the time, Gary Gilmore insisted on his execution. He said if ever released again, he would kill for sure.. Yet the murder that got him the death sentence was pointless if I remember right. He shot the garage cashier/ owner, I forget, during a robbery 

Absolutely no need.

I've misunderstood the lyrics here since the song was released. Only hearing the first line, 'Looking Through Gary Gilmore's Eyes', I always thought it was about his execution, and his wondering if in fact it was the right thing to do. 

If I remember right, his relatives, him and some prison officials partied the night before, including booze.

I've just learnt it's about the donation of his eyes!

There's a few documentaries about him 

Thank God guns are hard to come by in the UK 

Yes, they made a movie about him as well

The Executioner's Song

with Tommy lee Jones playing him.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:49 PM, asf6 said:

Takes me back to Bristol UK in the 70s. The inner city had yet to be gentrified, the area had pubs with juke boxes reflectiing the tastes of locals, i.e  reggae music for the West Indians and Irish country music for the Paddies. A darts board was the other feature. The women were usually working class over 40, heavy smokers and enthusiastic drinkers. 

The music really added to the atmosphere, slow dancing to the reggae tunes 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannork said:

Takes me back to Bristol UK in the 70s. The inner city had yet to be gentrified, the area had pubs with juke boxes reflectiing the tastes of locals, i.e  reggae music for the West Indians and Irish country music for the Paddies. A darts board was the other feature. The women were usually working class over 40, heavy smokers and enthusiastic drinkers. 

The music really added to the atmosphere, slow dancing to the reggae tunes 

We (my parents) considered moving to Bristol in the 1970s. Saint Pauls. We didn't go, which I think was a good thing. My understanding was that at that time, St Pauls wasn't a great area to live. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, asf6 said:

We (my parents) considered moving to Bristol in the 1970s. Saint Pauls. We didn't go, which I think was a good thing. My understanding was that at that time, St Pauls wasn't a great area to live. 

It was rough, especially for a white boy. The council moved me to a flat there, the weekends were unbearable.

West Indians would have these open 'blues parties' with the reggae bass on full volume all Friday and Saturday night. Next to me was a Vietnamese boat people refugee family with a young baby which would cry all night, sleep was impossible. The police did nothing.

I moved out when the young single mother in the flat above robbed my flat when I was away on holiday. 

The areas nearby were okay though, Montpelier, St  Werbergs ( spelling might be dodgy). 

I haven't been there for a long time but I just can't imagine St Pauls becoming gentrified!

Suella Braverman's barking (mad) up the wrong tree trying to deter boat people with Rwanda. She should substitute it for St Pauls. 

The boats would dry up in a week.

Edited by bannork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1