Wang Prachan Customs Complex / Satun

I recently arrived in BKK from the US (19 June). I have a two-entry visa in my passport. My intention was to stay for a couple of days and then leave for a two-week tour of China. Upon returning to TH I would use one of my TV entries for a longer stay. I asked the immigration officer if he would just give me 30-day entry as I was only there for a couple of days and he said OK.

The very next morning I hurt my back and it turns out it is fairly serious. I had to cancel the China trip, go to the doctor, and now spend at least a couple of weeks in BKK resting. Assuming I am fit enough to travel on 10 July, I have an airline ticket to Krabi and plan to visit friends in Krabi and Trang. I'll have a rental car to get around.

My question is:

Does anyone see a problem with exiting (on foot) Thailand at the rather remote Wang Prachan Customs Complex/Immigration Office (2km from Thalae Ban National Park in Satun) and then immediately returning by using my TV? Will the border folks take pause at this?

I do have airline tickets and medical certificates to back up my story if needed.

You must enter another country before you return (and have the stamps to prove it). At that area believe it will involve a ferry trip to Malaysia.

Thanks for looking at this post...

From Wikitravel (link):

"There is also a border crossing between Malaysia and Thailand at Wang Kelian. The Thai checkpoint is called Wang Prachan and is 32km from Satun.Wang Kelian is a village in the northern part of Perlis state in Malaysia. Travellers can easily walk across the border and the two immigration posts are about 100m apart. Songthaews (small passenger trucks) to Satun wait for passengers on the Thai side of the border. On Sundays, you can walk across the border without getting your passports stamped but you have to stay within the market area. Make sure to get the necessary stamps if you plan to go further."

It sounds like I can park my truck on the Thai side, walk over to Malaysia, get a Malay entry and exit stamp (after a little shopping and a cup of tea), and walk back to the Thai border.

Do you think the fact that I have left with a 30-day stamp and returned in less than an hour with a TV cause a problem?

Edited by onomataho

It does not seem to be listed by Immigration. I have never seen anyone mention it. But I have never been in that area so it may indeed be possible. I would be looking for a first person confirmation before I would make that travel myself. You can do at Padang Besar or Sadao but that would backtrack through Hat Yai. I know you can do by ferry and return from Satun

It does not seem to be listed by Immigration. I have never seen anyone mention it. But I have never been in that area so it may indeed be possible. I would be looking for a first person confirmation before I would make that travel myself. You can do at Padang Besar or Sadao but that would backtrack through Hat Yai. I know you can do by ferry and return from Satun

From Satun Travel Information

Wang Prachan Customs Complex

2 kilometers from Thalae Ban National Park is a gateway to Malaysia. The complex consists of Customs House and Immigration Office. Travellers wishing to proceed to the State of Perlis of Malaysia can pass through here, and it is not far from Padang Besar.

I've also read about it in the latest version of the Rough Guide to Thailand.

Assuming it is there, do you think I will have any problems with my intended plans?

You have to be stamped by both countries and I have no information on that crossing - in fact it is not listed in my old LP guide to Malaysia. I would want first person answer to confirm they allow foreigners to cross and be stamped on both sides - or at least leave enough time for an plan 2 in case there is a problem. I suspect it may be a new crossing and usable but it seems strange nobody has ever mentioned it that I can recall.

I can absolutely 100% guarantee that Wang Prachan exists :D I do my 3 month border crossing there almost every time. It is a very small border crossing (the reason I like it :D ). Park your car on Thai side, get your exit stamp from Thailand, walk 500 metres to Malaysia, stamp in, walk around to the other side of the building (10 metres) stamp out, walk back 500 m to Thailand, stamp in...all finished in less than 10 minutes!! If you're concerned about having problems regarding your visa, take someone Thai with you because on the Thai side of Immigration, they don't speak English! On the Malaysian side they do :o

If you want to see the huge market mentioned go on Sunday..just warning you though that you'll have to park your car a few kms from the border and walk (or get motorbike taxi 20 baht) as there are soooo many people....get there early too because they pack up just after lunch time. If you need a quick crossing (ie. 10 mins) go Mon-Fri, then you can park about 5 metres from the immigration office. I think there is a market on Saturday but it's much smaller.

Good luck

"There is also a border crossing between Malaysia and Thailand at Wang Kelian. The Thai checkpoint is called Wang Prachan and is 32km from Satun.Wang Kelian is a village in the northern part of Perlis state in Malaysia. Travellers can easily walk across the border and the two immigration posts are about 100m apart. Songthaews (small passenger trucks) to Satun wait for passengers on the Thai side of the border. On Sundays, you can walk across the border without getting your passports stamped but you have to stay within the market area. Make sure to get the necessary stamps if you plan to go further."

This is correct.

I can absolutely 100% guarantee that Wang Prachan exists :D I do my 3 month border crossing there almost every time. It is a very small border crossing (the reason I like it :D ). Park your car on Thai side, get your exit stamp from Thailand, walk 500 metres to Malaysia, stamp in, walk around to the other side of the building (10 metres) stamp out, walk back 500 m to Thailand, stamp in...all finished in less than 10 minutes!! If you're concerned about having problems regarding your visa, take someone Thai with you because on the Thai side of Immigration, they don't speak English! On the Malaysian side they do :o

If you want to see the huge market mentioned go on Sunday..just warning you though that you'll have to park your car a few kms from the border and walk (or get motorbike taxi 20 baht) as there are soooo many people....get there early too because they pack up just after lunch time. If you need a quick crossing (ie. 10 mins) go Mon-Fri, then you can park about 5 metres from the immigration office. I think there is a market on Saturday but it's much smaller.

Good luck

Thank you. This is what I needed to read...

I will ask one of my friends from Trang to come along to help with the Thai translation. :D