Non "O" to stay with Thai wife Questions

OP: USA, 73yo male, entered with 45 day visa exempt

I went to nearby Thai Consulate last week thinking I knew what I was doing, having used the Non O with spouse several years ago.  I did not!   I got the visa, asking for a 1 year stay. 

My visa is valid for 1 year and is a "multiple".

IO stamped me in at the border and stamped me for 90 days.  I did not understand that so I checked with DC and California consulates websites but they didnt help with rules or limitations.

1.  Do I have to do a border run every 90 days? And, if so, do I need re entry doc to return.  Or, what is the multiple for?

2.  I remember, again a long time ago, I would return to USA for business/etc and return for the "valid before date" then get credited the absent period--Does this still apply?

Thanks for any info.

BTW:  This is not a trip report but the consulate in Savannakhet was swamped Tues/Wed and those days are thought to be the light days.  There was almost an hour on each day to get the process started.  Also, I made a personal assessment that there were a large of the applicants were speaking a language I believe to be from a Large nation to the north. 

OP, appears that you received a multi entry non O marriage visa that is valid for a year.

You need to exit prior to your 90 day permit for a border bounce.

You can obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife for each entry.

You do not need to buy a reentry permit. 

Some do this and as result stay 150 days between exits.

Time your last exit and reentry just prior to expiry and you will receive another 90 day permit. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

DrJack,  I like what I heard. but since I do not only exit for short periods out of Thailand.  What we prefer is to do 2 RT flights 3/3/3/3, for simplicity, but sometime we trim in a week or two one way or the other.   I can't plan without knowing a few things to make the best decisions.  I need a bit more info; how short in duration the away period might be to earn the new extension.  How and who calculates the awarding, the IO at arrivals? And, how long on this visa does this acruel continue?  When do I begin buying extenions of stay?   I'm a bit confused.  

12 minutes ago, MiclB said:

DrJack,  I like what I heard. but since I do not only exit for short periods out of Thailand.  What we prefer is to do 2 RT flights 3/3/3/3, for simplicity, but sometime we trim in a week or two one way or the other.   I can't plan without knowing a few things to make the best decisions.  I need a bit more info; how short in duration the away period might be to earn the new extension.  How and who calculates the awarding, the IO at arrivals? And, how long on this visa does this acruel continue?  When do I begin buying extenions of stay?   I'm a bit confused.  

You can exit and reenter as often as like.

No limit.

Every time you reenter during validity of your visa you will be stamped in for 90 days.

If I was married I would have this visa ongoing. 

Also zero funds in that bank.

It's a ripper for those that travel outside of Thailand. 

You mention "obtain new extension "

This visa is valid for 12 months and most folk obtain a new one upon it's expiry.

You can move to extensions to a non O marriage however that's different.

You need to work out if annual extensions to a non O with purchase of multi reentry permit is best fit OR 

ME non O marriage which you would obtain a new one every 15 months. 

Edited by DrJack54