O Visa For A Commuter

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and in all that time i have been using the 30 day tourist visas. I manage this because i commute to the middle east on a rotation of approx 30 days in country and 45 out. I am considering getting an O-marriage Visa, (i think that's the right one), just to save any hassle if i over stay. Also i believe after 3 years of O visas i can apply for a more important one.

Can anyone give me any facts/advice on getting this visa and whether i am eligable considering i leave the country for 45 days at a time.

I have a UK passport, i'm 40 years old, have a thai wife and 1 son if any of that is relevant.

Thanks,

Nidge.

You should have a multi entry non immigrant O visa and should be able to obtain with marriage certificate/id card copy of wife at a number of Thai Consulates. This will cover 90 day stays for a little over a year. There is no magic about having three however - that is extensions of stay inside Thailand of 12 months each - after three years of doing that you become eligible to apply for permanent residence consideration. But without employment/tax paid in Thailand the chance of obtaining is not great but you might want to read up about it in the pinned items.

Thanks Lopburi. you have helped a lot.

I don't plan on starting to pay tax and my thai business is still in infancy so i guess i will try for a multi entry non immigrant O visa and just keep renewing it.

On the basis of 30 days in an 45 out you should not have a problem.........

well you might on your third entry........... :bah

Get a Non Imm O multi-entry visa based on marriage and son, and you will be fine.

Depending on where you apply you may have to show 400K baht (US$20,000) in a bank account overseas.

On the basis of 30 days in an 45 out you should not have a problem.........

well you might on your third entry........... :bah

Get a Non Imm O multi-entry visa based on marriage and son, and you will be fine.

Depending on where you apply you may have to show 400K baht (US$20,000) in a bank account overseas.

The bank account is no problem, but why would/could a third entry be a problem? I know when i enter on my 30 day visa they go beck through the passport and count up every day in the last 6 months, but i was hoping to avoid that with the O visa

You will avoid that with a visa. He was talking about 3rd 30 day entry and the six month rule for visa exempt entry. The visa will make everyones day better.

Hi. I have been staying in Thailand for the past 9 months on a NON-IMMIGRANT "O" visa and I am NOT married to a Thai person. I applied for it in the states and put my reason as "Tourism" - my two year old son also has a Non-Imm "0" visa ...So, I would definitely recommend getting one...it's saved me a lot of time and hassles.