Whats The Best Way To Take Money Over From Uk?

hello all, another naive one:

whats the best way to get money over?

I've used my visa debit card in the past but I got hit with loads of commission and got a bad rate i think.

This time I have about £3k to spend - I was gonna take the £1k in baht I already have and take the rest in english cash and change in the booths over there.

Is there a more cost-effective way? e.g. like travellers cheques or changing cash pounds to baht here in the uk beforehand...?

thanks in advance to anyone who has the best way

Normally travelers checks get a better rate than cash so if you can obtain free or 1% they may be good value. Most Brits seem to use National Building Society or some such name for ATM use here with no extra charge and they say a good rate.

Will move this to banking forum.

If you are staying for any time then open a Thai bank account.

Transfer money from the UK direct to your Thai account and make sure to specify that

you want POUNDS STERLING sent to Thailand.

The onshore rate is as much as 10% better than the rate overseas.!!!!

If you have the time your best bet is to open a Nationwide Flexaccount. It will give you an ATM card that's free to use around the wrold (apart from any charges made by the ATM bank).

If you intend to buy traveller's cheques go to https://portal.nationet.com/nationwide/quic...ney/default.asp where you can get Sterling tcs commission free. The only cost you will pay is £3.50 for Special Delivery via the GPO.

Get a photographers jacket, you can easily stash £3,000 in one of them with all the pockets it has.

Alternatively use Travellers cheques.

Hi

A word of warning I have just read an article in the UK press about carrying large amounts of cash internationally.

Thanks to our new prime minister in his past life trying to squeeze as much tax as possible out of Uk taxpayers, they now have dogs at UK airports trained to sniff out ...yes, you have guessed it ...cash!

So make sure any money you have is legit and proof of ownership and how you obtained it, otherwise you might go on holiday whilst your cash stays behind!

Personally a Nationwide flexaccount works well for me.

TBWG :o

cash is easy and can be changed very quick, you will get about half a baht less than for travellers cheques, quite a few of the gold shops will change for you, and you dont need your passport, dont have sign 3 times, you dont pay commision, you will not be queing for ages at a bank or exchange place

Just make sure you have a safe where you are staying.

sniffer dogs for money, yeah right

cash is easy and can be changed very quick, you will get about half a baht less than for travellers cheques, quite a few of the gold shops will change for you, and you dont need your passport, dont have sign 3 times, you dont pay commision, you will not be queing for ages at a bank or exchange place

Just make sure you have a safe where you are staying.

sniffer dogs for money, yeah right

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4444371.stm

I've used my visa debit card in the past but I got hit with loads of commission and got a bad rate i think.

This time I have about £3k to spend - I was gonna take the £1k in baht I already have and take the rest in english cash and change in the booths over there.

Is there a more cost-effective way? e.g. like travellers cheques or changing cash pounds to baht here in the uk beforehand...?

I recently transfered 8000UKP to my Thai savings account for the sum of 200Bht plus 3Bht Stamp.

How, I wrote a cheque to myself on my UK Bank(Barclays) and deposited it in my Thai savings account, only charges as above and it was about 2 weeks untill the funds appeared in my Thai account. The exchange rate was the higher local one.

As far as I know there is no cheaper way of getting your dosh here.

I recently transfered 8000UKP to my Thai savings account for the sum of 200Bht plus 3Bht Stamp.

How, I wrote a cheque to myself on my UK Bank(Barclays) and deposited it in my Thai savings account, only charges as above and it was about 2 weeks untill the funds appeared in my Thai account. The exchange rate was the higher local one.

As far as I know there is no cheaper way of getting your dosh here.

One downside to your interesting workaround for transferring money is that you have to have the money sitting in the UK chequeing account prior to transfer, which on 8000 GBP will cost you about 1.00 GBP per day in lost interest (unless you have a chequeing account that pays decent interest).