How to sell 6 weeks old MTB?

henrik2000

Hello, after 6 weeks of bicycling in northern Thailand, i want to sell the mountain bike i bought at the beginning in TH, for around 40% of the price paid new*, in New Sukothai. The bicycle is fully functional and does have practical and commercial value. I still have the bill for that bicycle and the add-ons bought, or at least I have a photo of it.

If I can’t sell the bicycle, I won’t despair, but the bicycle then should go to a good cause, not just to my hotel owner’s kids.

Do you have any tips on how to sell the bicycle or – if I must – how to donate it? From my search I think there is no selling forum here on this site, except for motor vehicles? There is a selling-forum on pattaya addicts, but it seems not the market for my product and location.

The guidebook says Sukothai has an expat bar, and maybe they have a bulletin board for private sales. Any other ideas? Are there bulletin boards in Tescos or Big Cs? Is Ebay worth the effort? I still have to check into my last hotel and will of course also ask the hotel staff/owner for advice and maybe for a Thai script ad. I am far from where I bought the bicycle and can’t ask the bicycle shop to buy it back. I speak basic Thai (including numbers and dates), but can’t read or write Thai.

Thanks for your ideas!

*trying hard to avoid sounding like a hidden advertisement.

Edited by henrik2000
  • Haha 1

1 congrats on the cycling adventure and best wishes for the rest of your time here; if you ever have any spare time sure there'd be a few (including me) interested in your cycling experiences

2 Suggestion as above, Facebook marketplace, this is something a local/maybe a hotel member could assist with if you offer a commission, easier I think to get to the 'local' market and sell for cash rather than the hassles of sending it over distance in Thailand

Good luck

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

Hi all, thanks for some suggestions!

In this post i didn't want to offer the bike and even tried to NOT sound like an advertisement, that's why i didn't include price, bike details, pics etc. I just asked about how to advertise/sell the thing.

Been accused of "guerilla marketing" before on another forum when mentioning of brand had been unavoidable, so try to be more cautious now. As long as mod doesn't explicitly ok it, i would NOT make this thread a sale thread. I was asking for how to advertise it, and i wasn't aware of the Facebook groups.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

1 congrats on the cycling adventure and best wishes for the rest of your time here; if you ever have any spare time sure there'd be a few (including me) interested in your cycling experiences

2 Suggestion as above, Facebook marketplace, this is something a local/maybe a hotel member could assist with if you offer a commission, easier I think to get to the 'local' market and sell for cash rather than the hassles of sending it over distance in Thailand

Good luck

Thanks. But I only do day trips by bicycle and carry the bicycle from town to town every 6 days or so by rental car. Not the most sustainable.

0ne thing is sure. From the lofty heights of their SUV cockpits, through tinted windows, Thais and expats alike look down aloof on dirty foreigners labouring in dust and heat on a, what, a bicycle. At least if you don't have shiny well polished race gear. 

Hi, thanks again for the links, i posted free ads with pics on both these sites. Bahtsold has free ads that seem good enough, paid ads have extras. I didn't really know about these sites before.

On 1/2/2023 at 10:17 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Or Bahtsold.   Don't know if this one is free, though.

https://www.bahtsold.com/quicksearch2?c=&ca=514&pr_from=0&pr_to=NULL&top=0&s=bicycle

On 1/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Edited by henrik2000

• 2 months later...

Sorry, embarrassingly in my post above it is the wrong link, even if it seems correct initially. It seems I can't change or delete it anymore now. The link that I wanted 2 to give here about my bicycling experience in provincial Northern Thailand is this:

https://hansblog.de/bicycle-day-touring-in-provincial-northern-thailand-w-20-pics-report-in-english/

Edited by henrik2000
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Would you like this topic moved here....

.https://aseannow.com/forum/156-cycling-in-thailand/

Thanks, Charlie. Yes actually it would be nice to have the post in the cycling forum, also because in the linked blog post I have some questions to more experienced Thailand bicyclists.

So if that is doable, you could delete my second last post, where I give a wrong link by accident but can't delete it, and move my last post to the cycling forum. Or I could post another new short hint there and leave the original post here. I had to do a post in this thread here because I had been asked here for a report, but it has been seen now.

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1