Plastic or steel cable tie for solar cables under solar panels

24 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Why not?

The ozone here degrades many plastics, not sure if your ties are plastic or nylon...  The white ones are often nylon,  which holds up better than the plastic ones.

Im on my way to order now, i see the one i looking is nylon, so i guess in going for nylon and stainless steel than, thanks for your advices.

Pink

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Im on my way to order now, i see the one i looking is nylon, so i guess in going for nylon and stainless steel than, thanks for your advices.

Pink

Nylon should be good for a long time. I would use that.

If you check in a year and you see that there is a problem you can still buy something else.

And nylon is no conductor, which is obviously a big plus for anything that is near to electric cables. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Why not?

The ozone here degrades many plastics, not sure if your ties are plastic or nylon...  The white ones are often nylon,  which holds up better than the plastic ones.

Do you mean Ozone (Comes from the sea primarily) or Ultra VIolet from the sun?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Are you not using some of these?

They clip to the edge of the panel for holding the cables up nice and tidy.

????New Production???? 10PCS Solar Panel Cable Clips Stainless Steel PV Wire  Clip Locking Clamps | Lazada.co.th

That look like a good option.. If i understand correct the can be placed anywhere on the frame.. 

Pink

14 hours ago, degrub said:

Black coloured ties should have the highest UV degradation resistance. 

As per the OP... Under Solar Panels... so they will be in the shade/dark and little if any UV degradation is likely to occur, so colour is not important.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Why not?

Back home in Oz the black ones were UV treated whereas the white arent.  Here I enclosed an area (in full sun) with plastic mesh and a good brand black cable ties.  After 5 years the cable ties were failing all over.  I dont know if its the sun or the UV treatment here but not much in plastic lasts if in full sun here.  Correct me if Im wrong but I believe the UV is higher in Australia than here.  I would use the stainless steel if affordable.

(edit oops we must have been writing same time, sorry)

Edited by ThaiFelix

16 hours ago, degrub said:

Just curious, why white nylon ?

white deflects the light so it wont overheat. 

thats why people use black in winter (to get more sunshine) and white in summer (to reflect sunlight)

its also what they teach you in 1st or 2nd grade at school... dont know they teach in the usa or not. thats a way to save energy and use it better way

On 1/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, Muhendis said:

Are you not using some of these?

They clip to the edge of the panel for holding the cables up nice and tidy.

????New Production???? 10PCS Solar Panel Cable Clips Stainless Steel PV Wire  Clip Locking Clamps | Lazada.co.th

I got 80 pieces of this today. They are very firm so i have some issues to get them on my panels who have a lip on the inner side of the frame. But with a plyer and a rubber hammer I'm able to get them on and firm enough to hold ok. The side for cable is almost closed so for ready made cables on the panel there is some struggle to get a cable inside, but i will test with a thin round plyers to open then close it again when cable inside.. So maybe a little extra work but it will also last long.

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

I got 80 pieces of this today. They are very firm so i have some issues to get them on my panels who have a lip on the inner side of the frame. But with a plyer and a rubber hammer I'm able to get them on and firm enough to hold ok. The side for cable is almost closed so for ready made cables on the panel there is some struggle to get a cable inside, but i will test with a thin round plyers to open then close it again when cable inside.. So maybe a little extra work but it will also last long.

I give them some try now, but for my panels they not fit well and there take much luck to get it in place in a good way, so its not a solution to deal with on top of the roofing, so  I guess I'm going with nylon strips then.