Mounting solar panels

13 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Thanks.  My GTI system is small when compared to what you are installing.  Total cost of hardware 28,000 THB, no labour costs as it was a DIY install.  ROI about 2.5 years, based upon unit cost of electricity = 2.4 THB.

The research, design and install was a great experience and proves that your never to old to learn.  That said, I had a great deal of encouragement, advice and support from forum members, in particular from @Crossy.  

A smaller DIY without battery just sized to get the needed sun power in day time can be very cost effective and very fast ROi like in your case. I suggest that for people here who ask me about solar and budget. Do you have a link to your solar build tread?

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1

Those solar panel mounting brackets are a neat idea.

I notice they are fixed to the trough section of the roof material.

Do I also see silicon sealant and rubber washers?

Good bit of engineering there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I notice they are fixed to the trough section of the roof material.

I thought the same.

Now you have them already 1 or 2 years, are there any leaks? Could you take a picture from underneath and share here?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

Global House has a  catalogue that shows a lot of fastening methods.

I just picked it up last year near the solar cells.

20230105_063216.jpg

Global House seems to be the go to place for solar equipment these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zoolander said:

Many thanks for the replies. I like the idea of drilling the panel and making a solid fixing. But was concerned about panel expansion or is this not a problem 

I'm not aware of anyone who's had a problem even with much larger temperature ranges than we get here. Simply making the mounting holes a bit oversized and using large washers would permit a little movement.

Our panels are on steel rails, aluminium expands rather more than steel (coefficient of thermal expansion of 23 vs 12 for steel) and our end panels are solidly fixed, never seen an issue. I'm sure it all moves slightly but it's certainly not visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zoolander said:

Many thanks for the replies. I like the idea of drilling the panel and making a solid fixing. But was concerned about panel expansion or is this not a problem 

Panel expansion is not normally a problem especially with brackets of thinner metal that can flex a little.

What can happen is that, if the glass panel is a tight fit in the frame, the glass can crack under the thermal strain. I have a panel which did just that. It's like crazy paving.

The panel stull works just fine because the silicone underneath is undamaged and the cracks seem to be still waterproof. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

What can happen is that, if the glass panel is a tight fit in the frame, the glass can crack under the thermal strain.

Yeah, aluminium (23) vs glass (around 8 ) is a pretty big expansion differential. One assumes that it's taken up in the frame sealant (or not as your case seems to be). 

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, aluminium (23) vs glass (around 8 ) is a pretty big expansion differential. One assumes that it's taken up in the frame sealant (or not as your case seems to be). 

In case the OP is worrying It's important to understand this has very little to do with mounting the beasts and everything to do with manufacturing tolerances. 

I had some panels which were so poorly made that the ali strips were not making a good enough contact with the cells (series connections) and the higher resistance resulted in sufficient local heat to shatter the glass completely.

Very rare but immediately noticeable since the output goes down a wee bit. ????

018.JPG

Edited by Muhendis
  • Like 1