Thailand Stock Market

Not sure if you can invest in the Thai market as a Foreigner, but I would like to know how and if you need a broker, pay a fee, etc.??  Appreciate any and all info of Falangs investing in the Thai market? Thanks in advance..

Yes you need a broker but you can buy funds through banks, mostly they are not great value because of commissions. It you really want to invest in Thai equities, the better way to do so is offshore using funds......the costs are much lower and the risk is lower because of governance and oversight in UK and US trading markets. Trustnet, Morningstar and Hargreaves Lansdowne all have plenty of analysis and options that you wont see here. I held CG-LTF through UOB (Thai) and it was a disaster, even more so when Thai Airways filed for bankruptcy and the fund lost all share earnings since the initial share purchase, back in the year dot!

I like (and hold) FSSA Asia Focus and Stewart Investors Asia/pac Sustainable Leaders. It's worth noting that almost none of the major funds hold more than  a couple of percent in Thailand equities, Aberdeen may be an exception.

• Thanks 1

Use a broker. Two I know are good are Phillip and Bualuang. Fees are very low when you sell or buy in Thailand. If an order is not carried out (limit too high/low) the fee is small. There are some good value stocks with high dividends. If you hold cash with the broker you earn interests like you would on a fixed savings account with a bank.

• Thanks 1

As states above, quite a few good brokers, but a warning, stick to high quality dividend stocks, as over the years the market-makers in connection with local houses, large funds, hong kong funds and large players including BOT(like the Chinese market 'plumbing team') have ruined what was an okay market

you will find liquidity a hige issue unless it's the larger stocks in fashion, and many times market-makers even with large stocks, will crush prices, keep prices low until you give up, then sky rocket prices, if you think the west is bad, this market is bad plus 10 times

lots of local investors have given up, that's why liquidity is an issue for many smaller stocks, yes many got burned in crypto, bad economy, and new tax on buy and sell which will happen soon, but the way market makers have taken control, especially since the stock exchange moved from near the US Embassy to next to the Chinese Embassy should tell all you need to know on how bad it could becone over the next 10 years and beyond, be vigilant

• Thanks 1