Agent wanted to open bank account

15.000 baht to open a bank account ?

I thought the going rate was 5k max

For opening a bank account that should be free except bank fee for card

Let's make it impossible by bank demanding retirement Visa first

While immigration wants to see a thai bank account with 800.000 baht on it

And then you have magical people that want 15.000 baht to make this catch 22 disappear , well only for opening a free bank account

This country is corrupt to the bone

How much is the rate for no money in the bank visa ?

Thought that was 25k max

I have the money in home country but trying to even open a bank account the legal way is made impossible

I was not born yesterday ...

36 minutes ago, Justanotherone said:

15.000 baht to open a bank account ?

I thought the going rate was 5k max

For opening a bank account that should be free except bank fee for card

Let's make it impossible by bank demanding retirement Visa first

While immigration wants to see a thai bank account with 800.000 baht on it

And then you have magical people that want 15.000 baht to make this catch 22 disappear , well only for opening a free bank account

This country is corrupt to the bone

How much is the rate for no money in the bank visa ?

Thought that was 25k max

I have the money in home country but trying to even open a bank account the legal way is made impossible

I was not born yesterday ...

You should be able to do it yourself at Bangkok Bank and without buying the insurance policy. You might need a bunch of documents. 

Otherwise you could get a 3 month NON-O outside Thailand. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lkn said:

Serious question, what exactly does an agent do with respect to opening a bank account?

Is it just a finder’s fee for directing the client to a foreigner friendly bank?

Uh-huh, or at least that was the case with me. Some Bangkok Bank branches are a light touch, some aren't. For me, the cost was folded into a tourist visa extension I was getting. It was a 1,000 baht add-on.

Edited by LaosLover

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 9:54 AM, lkn said:

Serious question, what exactly does an agent do with respect to opening a bank account?

Is it just a finder’s fee for directing the client to a foreigner friendly bank?

I think the agent submits a letter recommending you.  The bank staff can also do that but probably won't unless you buy their crappy insurance plan.

Mot in Pattaya offers this service with Bangkok Bank.  Did not need her to open an account but her services were quite helpful when I applied for a Thai Driver's license.

https://www.mots-services.com/mots-services1

I had 3 banks here and because I didn't use them for over a year since I couldn't travel due to covid19. They all closed my accounts. I had opened them up with a tourist visa and a rental contract. Which wasn't an easy process even in 2017. Trial and error going to many different branches. If known this I would have just kept them active because I know how much of a pain it was to get in the first place. I have other accounts that are still open (outside Thailand) without using for many years so I didn't expect all my accounts to get closed here . 

None of them interested in opening them again. Krungsri, uob and bangkok bank. All insisting need work permit or long term visa. Tried about 5 different branches of banks in different areas over town. 

In the same boat as you. In Bangkok. Siam legal seems the cheapest although it still is expensive 5300 baht + any insurance they may want you to buy. I asked a few other one quoted me 8k and another 12k!!!

Pattaya most agents seems to be able to do for around 4000 baht. 

Although I'm living in BKK is it more convienient if I open it up in a Bangkok branch I guess incase I need documents or something I can only get from where I opened account? Or would it not make any difference and can get from any branch? I have to go to Pattaya in a couple weeks anyway so would just get it done there if this wouldn't cause an issue.

Or if anyone else knows a cheaper agent in BKK please tell. Or has opened account on a tourist visa since Thailand has been open again properly what branches did you have luck with. Thanks  

I know lots of people will say it's easy to open yourself blah blah but it's really not anymore on a short term visa and even a year rental agreement . Having done it myself before and trying to do it again now. It really isn't easy and the banks are definitely much more stricter and all seem to be sticking to the same policy. Whereas it used to just be bangkok bank, k bank and scb . Were always the hardest. Now even ones like uob and krungsri all wanting work permits or retirement/marriage visas. Whereas before they didn't require this. 

Edited by hello55060