How to unlock a device when the owner dies.

Social Media

An interesting dilemma, one which I'm  in discussions with my Solictor  / executor over at the moment. Current thoughts are to have a lock screen message on my mobile / laptop that says SOS Call Fred Smith +44 1234 567890. If called OOH, then hopefully the person / authorities leave a message. Solicitor to hold details of Google Account, Phone PIN, secondary Google Account (2FA backup if phone compromised) as well as how to access my up to date KeyPass database. For added resilance, then thinking of adding an indelable sticker to rear of the phone with the same SOS message. ( Battery flat or screen damaged).

Anyone thinking along the same lines, or have an emergency contact plan in place?

4 hours ago, RayWright said:

An interesting dilemma, one which I'm  in discussions with my Solictor  / executor over at the moment. Current thoughts are to have a lock screen message on my mobile / laptop that says SOS Call Fred Smith +44 1234 567890. If called OOH, then hopefully the person / authorities leave a message. Solicitor to hold details of Google Account, Phone PIN, secondary Google Account (2FA backup if phone compromised) as well as how to access my up to date KeyPass database. For added resilance, then thinking of adding an indelable sticker to rear of the phone with the same SOS message. ( Battery flat or screen damaged).

Anyone thinking along the same lines, or have an emergency contact plan in place?

Could put the details in a safe, tell the people concerned. Getting the will sorted is the most important thing. Anything abroad will be problematic so sort that as a priority i.e. pensions, investments, property

From stats (USA Deaths 2017 & USA Deaths-Leading Causes), i.e. the last year that both these reports have been published for. Most causes of death as you would expect are medical related, i.e. disease / cancer at 87%, whereas injury is 13%.  Agree if you know you're going, then as long as you have your facilities (Alzheimers 5.3% and growing), then you can notify accordingly. However with 13% related to Injury (ignoring suicide) , hence looking for a mechanism that would assist the person(s) / agencies who "find you".

The "Letter of Wishes" approach, is only as good as the information contained at time of writing. Mobile PIN's, account passwords are changeable, either by you, or more likely forced by the Service Provider,  plus how to support any new subscriptions you might take out. Mine is dated 2019, so somewhat out of date. Plus you're not likely to carry your letter during everyday life. Which is why I was trying to come up with a more flexible, simple and accurate method.

With the Mobile phone becoming the "sine qua non" of modern life, it's what you always carry, it's your ID, electronic key, payment wallet, messaging terminal, e-Reader, games machine, camera, etc as well as a mobile telephone. So thinking it's the best choice for displaying an Emergency Contact.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:20 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Or send them automatically a pre-scheduled email.

Like: Whey you read this then I am dead...

I haven't looked into this but how do you set that up. Simplistically how would the email system know when to send the mail - or does it need continual manual intervention to not send? 

• Like 1

I am going to announce to all that I have 50 million baht and the details how to access it are all on my mobile phone (which is locked). 

If someone manages to unlock my phone after I die, then they will see the message "sorry, I mean 50 million Lao Kip!".

30 minutes ago, topt said:

I haven't looked into this but how do you set that up. Simplistically how would the email system know when to send the mail - or does it need continual manual intervention to not send? 

It depends on your email program and/or provider.

A friend with a Gmail account did this. 

You should be able to find a how-to on the internet for your email.