Entry to Thailand denied at the Poipet Cambodia border

Hello everyone ????‍♂️ I would like to have some advice of the following situation:

There will be new Covid19 entry requirements on 9 January 2023. So I did a border run / visa run on 7 January, sleep 1 night in Cambodia, and return to Thailand on 8 January.

I was denied entry to Thailand at the Thai / Poipet border. The immigration officer said that I had been in Thailand too long (4 months) within 1 year (because of Covid19).

I have read a lot of bad stories about the Poipet border officials. Do you think it would make a difference if I fly back into Thailand from Cambodia?

The Thai immigration officer was about to give me a "denied access" stamp in my passport + put a "denied access" declaration form in front of me. She asked me: "Do you want it"? I said no. She said: "Go back to Cambodia quickly then!". 

Another question: Did they register in their syatems that I was denied access at Poipet? Since she didn't gave me a denied access stamp / form

Edited by ChinChan
More information

3 minutes ago, malone99 said:

Yes, but most cpuntries consider being in a country for more half the year your primary residence. That has consequences i.e. where you file income taxes. I thought, that's how thailand sees it anyways. And there is also some logic to it, imho. 

I'm in cambodia right now, and thought so long as in don't cross 180 days per year i should be fine. 

Also, I think I've seen immigration officers counting when paging through the passport

15 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

There are plenty reports about entry denials at Poipet. It must be avoided at all costs.

Naja, for many years now there have been reports of ppl being denied entry or a tourist visa with the reason of 'not being a real tourist'. 

That's certainly not new and happens not just in poipet. 

Times where you could stay for a year or years in thailand on tv or exemption are long gone. 

Edited by malone99
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, malone99 said:

Naja, for many years now there have been reports of ppl being denied entry or a tourist visa with the reason of 'not being a real tourist'. 

That's certainly not new and happens not just in poipet. 

Times where you could stay for a year or years in thailand on tv or exemption are long gone. 

Poipet is known to be especially bad. They often don't allow to have the lawful two land entries in a calendar year.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Poipet is known to be especially bad. They often don't allow to have the lawful two land entries in a calendar year.

That is bad. 

So what is the general opinion here, for how many days per 12 month you can stay in thailand on tv or exemption, until you run into problems? (poipet excluded) 

I still think after 180 days it gets critical. 

probably an interesting question for many, not just me.. 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

From your description it looks like they were being nice to you (OK, avoiding doing the paperwork) so they likely won't have logged anything before sending you on your way.

I would think you'll be just fine to fly back, assuming of course that you meet the new vaxx requirements.

But he still has the "canceled" exit stamp from Cambodia, that tells every Thai IO the story. But should be Ok at Airport.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Seriously you are posting incorrect information.

There is no 180 day rule.

That's goes way back prior to border exempt entries becoming a max 2 per calendar year some years back. 

Even a METV can provide a 9 month stay (with exits) .

Forget the 180 myth. 

This thread concerns Poipet which is Rogue. 

I never said there was an official rule. Metv is a completely different thing. 

But for many it's a reality, that there are being denied trying to enter Thailand. Not just at poipet border. Or is that also incorrect? And the reason told is always the same: stay to long in thailand 

And telling them there is no official rule has sure never helped. 

6 minutes ago, visarunner said:

But he still has the "canceled" exit stamp from Cambodia, that tells every Thai IO the story. But should be Ok at Airport.

I don't have any "cancelled / deny stamp". She asked me seriously if I wanted it. Ofcourse I said no. And she let me go quickly back to Cambodia

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes it is incorrect.

Just one random example.

Enter Thailand visa exempt via air.

+ 30 day extension.

Obtain tourist visa at nearby consulate+ extension.

Do two visa exempt land border entries (not Poipet) plus extension for each.

Provided you then spend some time out of Thailand and apply for another tourist visa elsewhere you could stay even longer. 

Walk in the park 

Even applying for a tourist visa in a neighboring Country is not a walk in the park anymore. And after you did that twice + extension u gonna run into reentry problems. 

Not sure why you pretend it's all not a problem at all. 

U can read d stuff like that in this exact sub forum for years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, malone99 said:

Even applying for a tourist visa in a neighboring Country is not a walk in the park anymore. And after you did that twice + extension u gonna run into reentry problems. 

Not sure why you pretend it's all not a problem at all. 

U can read d stuff like that in this exact sub forum for years. 

That's totally different from the non-existent 6 month rule you're talking about. People running into problems tend to be those with many years staying in Thailand without a long enough break in their home country.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

That's totally different from the non-existent 6 month rule you're talking about. People running into problems tend to be those with many years staying in Thailand without a long enough break in their home country.

As i said before, i never said it was an official rule. 

And it's not just ppl staying in thailand for many years. It was already a problem long before covid. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, malone99 said:

As i said before, i never said it was an official rule. 

And it's not just ppl staying in thailand for many years. It was already a problem long before covid. 

It's not a real problem after all. Of all the people that are questioned by IOs at airports, only a tiny fraction get denied entry. The majority are allowed in, maybe with a light warning to come with a visa next time.

• Love It 1