Living In Pattaya

soundman

Is Thailand Really an Inexpensive Place to Live?

<Snip>

I have tried to limit this discussion to cost and money and you may get the impression that I am looking to leave Thailand and you could not be more wrong!

In the next article I will talk more about the affairs of heart and less about the wallet!

Thank you for taking the time to write that article. Well thought out & covered many topics of concern to those who live here.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I got tired of staying in hotels every trip (lousy TV, little fridge, no cooking, suspect security, ect, not to mention having to pack everything up and take it with me at the end of each trip).

I found a small (Thai style) apartment nearby and rented that. 2,500 baht a month. I pay a year in advance. Then I had a place I could leave my stuff while I was away, and could start travelling with nothing more than a carry-on bag.

It was a little small though. When the opportunity arose, I rented the apartment next door and had a doorway installed between the two. Now I have a 2 room apartment, 5,000 baht a month. Had an air-conditioner installed, bought a good fridge and some other furnishings (TV, DVD Player, computer desk, ect), had a phone line and internet connection installed (tack on another 1,100 a month).

I get along very nicely with the landlady and her family (when I go, they have keys to my place, and to my moto. In 3 years I've never had anything go missing, and every 3 weeks or so, the landlady does a sweep and dusting of the place).

When I'm home, I pay for the electricity/water/cable for the time I'm there. Maybe 3,000 baht/month. Rent/Utilities total per month = 9,000 baht

Food ? Varies greatly, depending if I am going to a lot of farang restaurants or eating mostly Thai-style. Average 300 baht/day (9,000 per month)

Moto ? Pay the insurance/registration/ect once per year. Maybe 2 tanks of gas per month, so what, 400 baht/month ?

Entertainment (of the Vertical and Horizontal varieties) - The sky's the limit. Quite possibly the most expensive item of them all, depending on your lifestyle.

If you buy a couple beer a day from the local 7/11 and are happy sitting around watching the world pass you by, you'll probably get by with less than 1,500 baht per month.

If you prefer to socialize a bit more, shoot some pool in the bars, movies, sight-seeing, ect, then obviously you are going to spend a lot more. Say, 500/day or 15,000 baht/month.

If you expect to spend as much time horizontal as vertical, expect to triple or quadruple that amount (45-60,000/month).

My lifestyle varies quite a bit, depending on if I'm staying full-time in Pattaya, or working overseas and coming back for 3-4 week holidays every couple of months (like now). When in "holiday mode", I'm a little more carefree and footloose, and tend to spend a bit :D more than when I'm between contracts and staying home for longer periods.

So, depending on your wants/needs, I'd say anywhere from 20,000 baht/month (very low end of the scale) to 100,000/month. If you're staying in hotels, obviously it will be more expensive (but they change the sheets/towels everyday, and you don't have to clean-up after yourself).

If you have a steady g/f, you'll probably (maybe ?) get by somewhat cheaper than if you are like some people I know that have a new "soon-to-be-ex" on their arm every other day (note to self: stop looking in the mirror while typing !) :o

Is Thailand Really an Inexpensive Place to Live?

tried to limit this discussion to cost and money and you may get the impression that I am looking to leave Thailand and you could not be more wrong!

In the next article I will talk more about the affairs of heart and less about the wallet!

Great breakdown thanks for taking the time and I look forward to next instalment :o

just putting my toe in a little at present.

BT

• 2 weeks later...

i'm 46 single drink beer and smoke(ciggies) i own my own condo near carrefour only use baht bos or walk 30 mins.to beach road.

300 a month for condo security and cleaning of access areas

2100 for hbo

15000 for food,and sundries,power and water(incl.taxis)

2000 for ciggies

5000 for shaggin

5000 for beer

i would say 30000 on average for a good life could live on a lot less,ie.eat more thai food which i really like drink and smoke less get rid of hbo,i rarely watch it anyway,cut back on the shaggin which would happen if i drank less beer.

you can get a decent room 6000 fan only 10000 air con all in,cleaned every day inc.clean sheets right on beech road,

soi yamato,soi postoffice etc.etc.

i could get away with 20000 no problem,and not be bored.better than u.k.

We spend roughly 70,000 baht a month living here... (me, my wife and 8 month old son) in a rented 2 bed house (aircon etc). We don't drink out that much, but eat a lot and have quite a few deliveries. All in its pretty cheap. Esp as I could double or triple that if I bought some new kitesurfing equipment or a nice new macbook :o