DDC Affirms Chinese Travelers Pose Low COVID Risk

webfact

fact, that chinese travellers do require covid insurance and

"the city hall has also prepared over 10,000 hospital beds for new Covid-19 patients in anticipation of the arrival of about 300,000 Chinese tourists in the next three months."

points to a different scenario.

That 100k/month chinese travellers was a projection yet before introduction of vax cerificate and insurance. Hence numbers will be lower.

But chinese will come in mass, when situation clears a little and when insurance requirement would be cancelled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) has stated that an increase in the number of Chinese tourists will not lead to a spike in new Covid-19 infections.

I wonder if I could borrow their crystal ball for some forex  trading ????

Kidding aside I always wonder why they make these sweeping statements?

I mean it does not take a genius to know you increase incoming by a few million from a country with a high infection rate & yes much more than likely you will have a bit of a spike....

I'm not saying it is a big problem for most as covid is quite survivable these days.

But yeah these sweeping statements does them no favors long term ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thank the lord I live somewhere where the Chinese aren't interested in visiting.

Would a nice seafood buffet tempt them? Can be arranged.

Edited by 2baht
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

fact, that chinese travellers do require covid insurance and

I thought that had been cancelled at the Thai end of things. Meanwhile, in China, I saw on my Twitter news feed that Chinese covid insurance in China has started denying claims by redefining Covid narrowly. If they aren't going to pay out in China, are they going to pay out in Thailand?

https://www.ft.com/content/c049eb2d-4455-4ed3-b775-2c6818ec5737

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

I AGREE...

They Never seem to spit anymore, don't know what all the worry is about!????

The spitter are the factory worker tours the ones they are expecting are financially better off in smaller group who can navigate themselves better educated and we'll manners being exposed more to the west. 

Nevertheless they will be coming from HK and other parts to escape the CCP ruling,  they will overstay bring illegal gambling,  smuggling, continue to contributed to the economy by laundering triad funds and enriching the leaders. ????????

• Thumbs Up 2

Have the DDC full, clinical, and intimate knowledge of the situation within Chinas Borders in regard to Covid Infection Rates, Strains Etc, Etc

If they do, this would be a World first, and their knowledge gleaned  should be made available to WHO and the entire World for the benefit of Mankind.

If they are not willing, or able  to publish this information, this statement can only be seen as a load of Tosh, and should be publicly retracted

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, FRK63 said:

Today I read south Korea has introduced covid testing before boarding flights from China as there records indicate 80% of travelers have covid. 

Based on that % they'll need another 230,000 beds 

Ridiculous. Only a tiny fraction of people who test positive for covid will require hospitalization.

Some people are just addicted to the hysteria, it seems… but the sky Is. Not. Falling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, poskat said:

so they are expecting that 3% of the arrivals will require hospitalization, while other countries are finding upwards of 50% covid-positive chinese arrivals.

That is a well established fact with respect to all extrapolations, projections here.. never any logic.

the result is decided upon.

then work backwards on how to justify the result

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

The spitter are the factory worker tours the ones they are expecting are financially better off in smaller group who can navigate themselves better educated and we'll manners being exposed more to the west. 

Yes, that's why they have so many 'No spitting' signs in Hong Kong, cause most visitors there from mainland China are poor factory workers.

I remember living in China years ago, and walking for 10 minutes, I usually encountered 3 or 4 spitters, both men and women, usually middle-aged...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nobody even knows the truth about the cases of Covid or type in China.  They just spite out what they want. I guess they are just overwhelmed with the case load and finding easier to open the borders and let them go elsewhere to lower their numbers and work load. Who knows what they will bring except chaos. 

• Thumbs Up 1

tourists with insurance (and that is chinese and indians) do go rather to private hospitals, for better medical care. 

The government hospitals work directly with only limited thai insurers. When I have asked at my hospital they mentioned only 1 insurer. Some smaller hospitals don't know how to process international claims, as their departments don't have any experience with that.

Those 10k covid beds in bangkok are mostly governmental hospitals. They are partially occupied, some 5% now so 500. I think that much beds do include some mothballed covid centers, which were full during delta in the summer 2021. 

I can't imagine they are regular hospital wards, that would mean that each of some 200 bangkok hospitals has some 50 beds empty, that is the whole floor. Private hospitals won't agree to put that many beds aside.

They are for local population, just in case of the next wave (which well chinese can bring with some new unknown yet mutation - but new virus can come from any other country).