Vehicle Tax?

thailand49

My question is in regards to the tax to obtain the sticker you put on the window?

End of last year I proceeded to renew the stickers for two vehicles.

1st, one is a 2018 Toyota Hilux Auto 4 door 2.4 CC New price was 870,000 baht years before I paid between 4-5,000 baht just for the sticker alone. This year it was something like 4500 Baht, as we know the plates are White with Black lettering.

When I purchase 2021 Hyundai H-1 Van 2.4 C.C. 1.7 million Baht  it was given a White with Blue Lettering, I just assume due to the price and even the blue plate sticker based on what I had to pay for the Hilux it would be much more for the H-1 Van?

Pulled into the shop handed the book to the lady in the office back out told 2000 baht, I was kind of shocked just went with the flow came back the next day to pick up the sticker crossing my finger it wasn't a mistake. I was handed the sticker I checked it over plate etc was all correct.  Then I asked the lady how come the Van, etc,,, is cheaper than the Hilux?  They couldn't muster an answer for me to understand.

Was a mistake made? Why the difference for the Hilux vs. the Van?

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Blue plates for vans (and green plates for 2-door pickups) are a lower taxation class than the black plates.

There's a list of all the various plates here 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Thailand

Note that you may not be permitted to drive your blue-plated van on a regular car licence (I stand to be corrected on this point).

Thanks, I ran through the website read half of it and scanned the rest it doesn't note as to the reason why reason cost is different.  At the station when I asked what I could make out she indicated something to do with the C.C. which in my case both vehicles are 2.4 C.C.

Since having the Van I've been stopped twice first up at Sukhothai,  no mentioned of license and nothing said when I had to report my missing front plate.  Stop here on Nongprue no mentioned of license. I asked my renter a Nongprue finest about the license he just smile and laugh.

Thanks, Not sure why the difference in fee but as long as it is cheaper I'm not complaining just curious. All in all told the wife her response translated "  You better double check and not <deleted> it up "  ????  this is Thailand how long you been here!  I tell her I was expecting to pay 7000 baht based on what I paid for the Hilux now I got 5000 baht I can give it to you.  All Smiles now!  we know how it goes?

• Like 1

blue is over 11 seater 'bus' thus cheaper 'commercial/working' vehicles, 

do note, you can get in trouble if you remove seats from your van and were caught by some checkpoints, as it used to be a way of circumventing tax by registering certain vehicles with lots of seats to qualify for lower tax, then remove them later.

Same for the Hilux, if you had a 4 door model, that is 'up to 7 seats' sedan class, but had you gone for the 2 door models, you'd have a green letter plate and also cheaper 'van/cargo' tax rate

Or if you had canopy in the back of the Hilux and row of seats put in, it can then be registered for the blue plate too, it used to be that a canopy and seats were 'borrowed' to pass inspection and remove later

blue plates letters/numbers and green plate letters/numbers  are taxed at a set rate.

Car+4 door pick up tax, black letters/numbers.

is according to cylinder capacity (CC), not more than 7 people, with the following rates
1st 600cc, 0.50 baht per cc- 601 - 1,800 cc, 1.50 baht per cc
More than 1,800 cc, 4.00 baht per cc
However, if it is a  car of a juristic person that is not a hire-purchase provider
 must pay twice the rate,In addition, if a car that has been registered for 5 years, 
will receive annual tax deductions from original tax in the following years as follows.
Year 6, 10 percent -  Year 7, 20 percent - Year 8, 30 percent
Year 9, 40 percent  Year 10 and next year 50%
If you have paid taxes late, you must pay 1% per month.

Edited by steve187
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, digbeth said:

blue is over 11 seater 'bus' thus cheaper 'commercial/working' vehicles, 

do note, you can get in trouble if you remove seats from your van and were caught by some checkpoints, as it used to be a way of circumventing tax by registering certain vehicles with lots of seats to qualify for lower tax, then remove them later.

Same for the Hilux, if you had a 4 door model, that is 'up to 7 seats' sedan class, but had you gone for the 2 door models, you'd have a green letter plate and also cheaper 'van/cargo' tax rate

Or if you had canopy in the back of the Hilux and row of seats put in, it can then be registered for the blue plate too, it used to be that a canopy and seats were 'borrowed' to pass inspection and remove later

That is news to me first ever! 

The main reason I got the model 2021 H-1 was because of the seat removal and configuration options which the new generation H-1 Starvic didn't offer. 

It is a 12 seater the last row was removed instructed by me the van roll out of the dealership back roll is in storage. As noted two stops registration inspection no mentioned.  

Not saying I don't care but some of these rules I seriously doubt the head of land transport know them and certainly the BIB haven't a clue. 

Edited by thailand49

20 minutes ago, digbeth said:

if you had paid for 'inspection' to tax your 2021 vehicle, the shop you used was taking you for a ride

I think you got things a bit mixed up. 

Although the word inspection was used it in reality wasn't inspected since the vehicles were under five years ol

All they did was take the book etc and told me the cost for the sticker that's it. 

How you come up with the prior useful information then assume I got taken for a ride! 

Let take my oldest vehicle same shop 2006 Yaris, I pull up due to the age they actually run it through the inspection process, cost last 5 years average is about 16-1800 baht, that amount I'm provided with the sticker 2566 this year and the government insurance.  Off the top when new first no inspection 3500 baht? 

6 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Have a STUPID Question,Here Goes....Say Your Vehicle is "Off the Road LONG TERM For any reason & It's NOT Parked on the Highway but on Private Land.....Do you Still have to pay for Road TAX ??

Not a stupid question - The UK has such a system when you can ‘notify the authorities that your car is off the road and avoid paying road tax’... 

I don’t think such a system is available in Thailand - If you don’t pay tax for a year or two its simply back-charged, thats all.

That said - the cost of road tax in Thailand is negligible - so its not really worth trying to avoid. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Have a STUPID Question,Here Goes....Say Your Vehicle is "Off the Road LONG TERM For any reason & It's NOT Parked on the Highway but on Private Land.....Do you Still have to pay for Road TAX ??

Yup, I believe so. I'm not aware of any equivalent to the UK SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice).

When you go to tax again you have to pay back-tax and a (small) fine, there may be a cap on how much you actually have to pay but ...

Again, if anyone knows better, please post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

for Thailand, after 3 years of no tax paid, the plate is considered off the road and you're supposed to surrender the plate to the DLT, you're still on the hook for the unpaid taxes and interest though, but there are no new tax past three years, to get it back on the road, you have to re-register the vehicle with new number 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not a stupid question - The UK has such a system when you can ‘notify the authorities that your car is off the road and avoid paying road tax’... 

I don’t think such a system is available in Thailand - If you don’t pay tax for a year or two its simply back-charged, thats all.

That said - the cost of road tax in Thailand is negligible - so its not really worth trying to avoid. 

IT IS CALLED a sorn.......

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Years back I had a sidecart attached to a older bike that was yearly register the shop welded it to the bike so made it tough to register yearly without having it undone. Told by locals don't worry cops never stop sidecarts years later I separated the two took to register as noted paid back years it wasn't much

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Note that you may not be permitted to drive your blue-plated van on a regular car licence (I stand to be corrected on this point).

No problem, you can drive with the standard license. The blue plate just shows that your car seats more than 7 people. It is still a private car, and that's fine. White on blue can go, black on yellow is commercial and requires a different license.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

No problem, you can drive with the standard license. The blue plate just shows that your car seats more than 7 people. It is still a private car, and that's fine. White on blue can go, black on yellow is commercial and requires a different license.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was similar to the UK where the limit is/was 12 seats on a car licence.

Long, long ago I bought an 18 seat long-wheelbase Ford Transit, I couldn't drive it on my car licence until I took out two rows of seats (made a space for our two Old English Sheepdogs), then the same vehicle was perfectly legal. 

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup, I believe so. I'm not aware of any equivalent to the UK SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice).

When you go to tax again you have to pay back-tax and a (small) fine, there may be a cap on how much you actually have to pay but ...

Again, if anyone knows better, please post.

I Know about the U.K. SORN M8 !! But TIT, That's why I Asked !!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:44 AM, Crossy said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was similar to the UK where the limit is/was 12 seats on a car licence.

Long, long ago I bought an 18 seat long-wheelbase Ford Transit, I couldn't drive it on my car licence until I took out two rows of seats (made a space for our two Old English Sheepdogs), then the same vehicle was perfectly legal. 

For Thai classification, if the van is over 2.2 tonne, or seats over 12, (typical van will seat 'upto 11') it is then classified as 'commercial' you have to provide a reason why you need it if you are registering in a private name (having lots of kids and stuff will do) and show a copy of land title with permission to 'park' your van there if you don't own the land 

the  plate will be truck styled big plate with numbers only, still blue, or yellow in case of for hire van

Not sure of it's weight, but it is van Hyundai H-1, for sure it can seat 12. I had the dealership take the last row out for storage. 

As I noted plus too late now it was paid in cash register to my Thai wife and I know no such questions We're ever asked.

Lots of information as to what it suppose to be but who is going to check?  

57 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure of it's weight, but it is van Hyundai H-1, for sure it can seat 12. I had the dealership take the last row out for storage. 

As I noted plus too late now it was paid in cash register to my Thai wife and I know no such questions We're ever asked.

Lots of information as to what it suppose to be but who is going to check?  

H1 is counted as 11 seat, the middle front row doesn't count here, 

your blue plate for 'up to 11 seats' are legal to drive with normal licence, no need to worry about that. 

If you ever got stopped by some clever policeman and asked about the missing seats, the expected reply is that it's broken and being fixed... that should get you off the hook

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

H1 is counted as 11 seat, the middle front row doesn't count here, 

your blue plate for 'up to 11 seats' are legal to drive with normal licence, no need to worry about that. 

If you ever got stopped by some clever policeman and asked about the missing seats, the expected reply is that it's broken and being fixed... that should get you off the hook

The reason I contacted the Hyundai HQ and requested if they had the older models. One of the main reasons was the seat configuration was completely different than the new generation I went back down to take another look one day and they had taken all the old models away and brought in a new set of H-1 new generation. The seating was less and no flexibility like the older model being old school everything now was digital, keyless, not even a transmission shifter, the deal breaker my rule never buy a new generation too many problems?

The row behind the driver you can reset so they are facing the rest of the passengers with your back to the driver.  Each row starting with front ( driver ) you can fold down so you can place your drinks and charge your phone push a button the back flops up and sit in the middle (seat belt provided ) this goes for the middle row, 3rd row, final row taken out middle sitting all of head rest and belts. It definitely is a 12 seater without any doubt.

As I noted, I been stopped a number of times going up country to the farm never more than roll my window down and them looking in then wave along even with the red plates.

Thanks

Edited by thailand49